SSD Z Folders?

Tommy Evans

Jul 19, 2011
Colorado Springs, Colorado
Hey I've seen all over this forum that people use certain Z hits on their Slate drums. I've searched through Kontakt and dicked around in the SSD files themselves and didnt see anything that said Z1, Z2, Z3, or Z4. Am I missing something here? I have the latest SSD (3.0 or 3.5) I know that the different Z's are different room sounds, but If someone can please help me figure out where they are at and also how to use them, I'd love you forever. Thanks.

I'm sure its something obvious that I'm missing. It usually is. :Smug:

I knew that they didnt come with wavs anymore. I was thinking this Z stuff might've been an older SSD referance, guess I was right! Thanks, Seth. As always, good lookin' out.

Btw, I got the best Tom sounds I've ever got by detuning the Qik Toms. Thanks for the advice in our last discussion. :worship:

hey there
can you tell me how you detuned the qik toms?
Im recording a band in A# and the toms sound like sh**
any advice??

Hey I've seen all over this forum that people use certain Z hits on their Slate drums. I've searched through Kontakt and dicked around in the SSD files themselves and didnt see anything that said Z1, Z2, Z3, or Z4. Am I missing something here? I have the latest SSD (3.0 or 3.5) I know that the different Z's are different room sounds, but If someone can please help me figure out where they are at and also how to use them, I'd love you forever. Thanks.

I'm sure its something obvious that I'm missing. It usually is. :Smug:

Inbox me bud, ill hook you up, I bought SSD when it still came with gog files and wav's

Jon, I detuned them to -2 and put the NRG room on all of them. After that I compressed them with a preset (in Studio One) that actually works perfectly with them. I forget what the attack/release times were. If you want more info let me know and I'll open up the session and give you the deets.

OneDaySky, will do thank you!!

hey thanks tom!
I also use studio one! Did you use the thunder god preset?
Would be cool if you could give me the details! :)

Hey Jon, short and sweet:

NRG room all detuned by -1.
EQ is the "Toms - Low" preset with a 4db bump at 110hz, Q=1
Then the "Drums Big Bus" Mixverb preset.
Then the Comp is just the "Toms Smooth" preset.
No funny buss stuff or anything.

It's one of the only times I could actually slap presets on it and have it be useable lol.

Those were the settings for the last band I recorded. My new Toms setup for the current band I'm doing is pretty much the same except they're detuned to -2 and there's some buss comp tricks going on on the shells like buss compression, some gluing using the Ferric TDS (free, thanks btw to Charlez for telling me about this), and a GClipper (also free).

Cheers, Jon. Hope you and others find this useful. :)