Stratovarius: Gone

When you think about it, the seeds for all this were plain to see. The PP performance was pretty by the numbers and the band didn't seem to have any life. Some people complained about Jorg especially being off tempo, although I didn't really notice. Kotipelto said in interviews he didn't like Elements and preferred the more modern Strato sound on the self-titled album. Bit it's clear they would be able to have success either with Elements or with the new sound. And as Tolkki says, unless they've got some new evolution in their songwriting, the only other choice was to go back to Visions-style Strato, which is 10 years in the past.

All of the Strato guys are some of the best at what they do, so I hope they get involved in good projects. And I do hope that Tolkki carries on his vision in another band, or maybe just keeps on doing the Avantasia-style thing with lots of participants. I suspect that the new album will rule. Otherwise Sammet would never have appeared on it.

When you think about it, the seeds for all this were plain to see. The PP performance was pretty by the numbers and the band didn't seem to have any life. Some people complained about Jorg especially being off tempo, although I didn't really notice. Kotipelto said in interviews he didn't like Elements and preferred the more modern Strato sound on the self-titled album. Bit it's clear they would be able to have success either with Elements or with the new sound. And as Tolkki says, unless they've got some new evolution in their songwriting, the only other choice was to go back to Visions-style Strato, which is 10 years in the past.

All of the Strato guys are some of the best at what they do, so I hope they get involved in good projects. And I do hope that Tolkki carries on his vision in another band, or maybe just keeps on doing the Avantasia-style thing with lots of participants. I suspect that the new album will rule. Otherwise Sammet would never have appeared on it.
True that!:headbang: Can't wait to hear the new material! Having said that, I also urge you all to check out the entire KOTIPELTO catalog if you haven't already done so.:kickass:

Gotta give props to Timo Tolkki for his honesty and for taking the high road. He could've buried the others in the press, but he did the right thing.
Hmm, I didn't quite agree. I thought it was TMI. I don't think we needed to know who was not getting long with who and what he thought of everyone's people and musical skills. A somewhat shorter version saying the chemistry could not be reignited, the energy was gone and they no longer agreed on musical direction would have sufficed, imo. I never like sniffing the dirty laundry.

Hmm, I didn't quite agree. I thought it was TMI. I don't think we needed to know who was not getting long with who and what he thought of everyone's people and musical skills. A somewhat shorter version saying the chemistry could not be reignited, the energy was gone and they no longer agreed on musical direction would have sufficed, imo. I never like sniffing the dirty laundry.

Ann-Marie, I respectfully disagree. I think he HAD to go into the details he had due to his recent history. If it was short and sweet, people would have thought Triple-T was off his meds again. But, it also showed something else.

I think Triple-T tried to part with the Strato name intact. But, if you read that TK and Jorg were running the shop, you would have seen that they would do nothing to keep it going. So, it looked like a similar issue that Phil Mogg had with Michael Schenker over the UFO name. Since Schenker was part owner of the name, he could object to the use of it. I am afraid the same thing happened here. Kotipelto and Michael refused to allow the Strato name to be used. And, since Porra is with TK, it meant Strato would have consisted of Triple-T and Jens Johansson.

Maybe it is for the best. The sad part is that Triple-T has to start all over again. What's worse is that Jens Johannsson lost his major band. I do not know if he will be part of Triple-T's new project. But, stranger things have happened.

It is a good thing that I saw Strato when I did.

Peace,
Ray C.

If I write a book one day, maybe then.

uhhh...Isn't that what you just did?

Nice band, good albums, but when your time is over move out of the way so the next band can entertain us.

It always amazes me when a band spokesperson has to tell a bunch of sordid details about a departure or breakup.

Someone leaves? OK does the replacement not suck? It's all good.

Band breaks up? Oh well--20 years ago my favorite band broke up, 15 years ago, my favorite band broke up, 5 years ago, my favorite band broke up. Shit happens. we survive.

This is indeed sad news to me. Stratovarius is one of my all time favorite bands. During the year 2000 I was just getting into heavy metal. Iron Maiden was the band that got me into the genre. I was into Judas Priest, Ozzy, Pantera, King Diamond, Motley Crue, KISS, Ratt, all that kind of good stuff that the average 80's metal fan listened to. One day my friend Rich played me Stratovarius when we were in his car going to the mall and I was blown away. 'Twilight Time' was the album and I loved what I was hearing. This opened the doors to Blind Guardian, Helloween, Edguy, Brainstorm, Iced Earth and all the great power metal bands that I currently love. Stratovarius to me have created some of the greatest music in the history of metal. I am glad to say that I have seen them peform live in America 3 times (twice at BB Kings in NYC and once at the Trocadero in Philly). They were great shows to me and I am sad to hear that the band was not really getting a long especially during the last one. I will surely miss them but I respect what Timo Tolkki did here. Sure he aired some dirty laundry but I feel it is better that we know the story like this so we know what really went on rather than have maybe false hope that this is temporary and they will be back again. I will forever love this band I am definitely going to bust out Twilight Time tomorrow to bring me back to when I first heard them and listen to all their albums this week.

I have to say I totally agree with you. I was surp[rised so many seemed to think this was a good thing. But hey, I'm not a Stratovarius fan, so what do I know? :)

Oh, and just for the record, it's actually nearly 2,500 words. I was curious. :)

I saw them after Elements 1 came out and that wasn't bad actually. Then i saw them play their 3 songs at Wacken before the s/t came out (right after they reunited) and again on their tour of america. Honestly, i couldn't have been less interested in watching them play the last time i saw them. Kotipelto's solo project at Wacken 2002 on opening night (in support of the first solo disc) was fucking amazing, and way better than strato ever was.
Get out of my brain bro. :lol: I feel bad for Timo but it was time to throw in the towel. Kotipelto does more for me.

And yeah, going public with all of this stuff is kind of bad form.