Stream of Passion

Yippee38

Living the dream!
Oct 8, 2002
Somewhere at 33,000'
Visit site
I just got it today from The Laser's Edge. I'm only on the second song of 12, but so far I'm pretty impressed with it. There is very little of the typical Arjen sound, though it does come through here and there. It sounds much less like a typical Arjen CD than I would have guessed. I'm trying to think of something which is similar, but I'm drawing a blank. It's not groundbreaking for the most part, but it is good music IMHO.

Some of the later songs had more of an Ayreon sound (keyboards or guitars specifically). I think it really jumped out at me only on two track though. It's a bit on the mellow side, but there are some really good jams on it too. I'd say that if you like Within Temptation, you would probably like this. The vocal styles are similar, and like WT, the music can jam or be mellow. It's less symphonic than WT or Ayreon though.

It's a solid CD. I like it. Having said that though, remember that I've only listened to it once.

Going to be seeing them on January 26th with Marcel. Talk about an added bonus to doing that show! Actually, though... I'm really looking forward to seeing Arjen do his thang live. :) I rather like the material on this cd. Only wish I'd have is for the vocals to be a bit more ballsy, but that's just me.

I really like it. I got the bonus DVD version, and the outtakes/interviews were quite cool. Overall one of his better projects, Marcela Bovio did an excellent job.

I've had all the songs for about a month and it's been nonstop that I've listened to it. I had preordered the DVD one on their site which had the nice bonus of being signed by Arjen. Really haven't checked out the bonus material since I've been so busy.
It's a very mellow prog rock CD. Marcela has an amazing voice. It's a kind of band that would do really well in the US if marketed right, imo.

Well,I was really anticipating this disc since Marcela Bovia has an amazing voice,but I find it lacking in so many areas! Not to say that it sucks,because it doesn't,its just a little too spacey for me...the instrumentation needs to be more solid throughout,and those industrial type drums in spaces throughout the disc just piss me off.Whatever happened to just recording things as is,instead of the echoes,tunnel effects and loops? I'll dig into it some more in the upcoming days and weeks,hoping its a grower,but I am mildly disappointed.
On another note,the DVD is way cool! I love watching how everything is recorded,and that guitarist just shreds!

Awesome album as far as I'm concerned. Sure space in my top-10 of the year. I wasn't sure about it the first few spins, but then I started catching on. Now I use it toward the end of my beer buzz...there are some killer jam sessions hidden in there if you're paying attention. And Marcela Bovio? I'm in love, no doubt. This one just keeps getting better and better!

NP: Witchcross - Fit for Fight

Stream of Passion is clearly a cash-in cd on the femme metal pseudo goth moviement made chartable by Evenescence, Lacuna Coil, and the crappy Within Temptation, in spite of Marcella's resemblence vocally to Anneke Van Giersbergen of The Gathering.

As far as pop cds, it works . . .barely. You can smell the soul-selling nature of the contracts Arjen wrote his John Hancock onto. There';s a reason Arjen wears a hooded sweatshirt and dark sunglasses in all the pics. He's totally embarassed.

He looked like he was having a great time to me. Not to mention that it's HIS project. Your excuse for his presence on a so-called cash-in pop album fails.

Must all female fronted bands be compared to each other? Must it be a 'trend'? Is then a massive trend been in occurance for the past how many years that male-fronted bands have existed? must we compare them all because of their singers' gender? Come now, this is asinine. Furthermore, I find nothing 'goth' about Stream of Passion, nor even Within Temptation.

Further even, I happen to think all of the bands you mentioned are in the spectrum of good to excellent. but then again, that's my opinion, and yours differs. still, your claims regarding Arjen's motives are laughable.

No, all female bands aren't compared to each other. I'd rather it have been a band that took chances like, Madder Mortem or The Third and the Mortal or Dead Can Dance or Crisis rather than the pablum you always hear about, not even counting Sinister or Kittie or Arch Enemy or Wetwork, all of whom have women vocalists using the harsh sounds you pretty boys don't like

BenMech said:
No, all female bands aren't compared to each other. I'd rather it have been a band that took chances like, Madder Mortem or The Third and the Mortal or Dead Can Dance or Crisis rather than the pablum you always hear about, not even counting Sinister or Kittie or Arch Enemy or Wetwork, all of whom have women vocalists using the harsh sounds you pretty boys don't like

Hey now, no need to resort to insults. Some of us "pretty boys" enjoy harsh vocals in addition to clean vocals from time to time. Also, I don't think you can say that a band didn't take chances just because they've become successful. Don't you think that Nightwish took a chance when incorporating female opera singing into metal?

Back onto the subject, the only Stream of Passion song I've heard is Deciever. It's not bad, but it just seems to me like a really boring and forgetful song built around a nice chorus. The rest of the album may not be like that though, and I may give it a shot at some point.

BenMech said:
Pretty boys? You are aware I listen to death metal, I assume...

BenMech said:
Stream of Passion is clearly a cash-in cd on the femme metal pseudo goth moviement made chartable by Evenescence, Lacuna Coil, and the crappy Within Temptation, in spite of Marcella's resemblence vocally to Anneke Van Giersbergen of The Gathering.

As far as pop cds, it works . . .barely. You can smell the soul-selling nature of the contracts Arjen wrote his John Hancock onto. There';s a reason Arjen wears a hooded sweatshirt and dark sunglasses in all the pics. He's totally embarassed.
One of the dumbest posts in this thread. Thanks for the laugh.

Yeah, I listen to things other than death metal. I even went to a jazz club last night! I'm a horrible person.

Obviously if there isn't grunting, it must suck and anyone who grunts these days is taking a chance. That's why I went to a show the other day where 2 of 4 of the bands were generic metal with piss poor grunting where every song sounded the same as the last. Now that's really pushing your limits as an artist!