Stream of Passion

BenMech said:
Stream of Passion is clearly a cash-in cd on the femme metal pseudo goth moviement made chartable by Evenescence, Lacuna Coil, and the crappy Within Temptation, in spite of Marcella's resemblence vocally to Anneke Van Giersbergen of The Gathering.

As far as pop cds, it works . . .barely. You can smell the soul-selling nature of the contracts Arjen wrote his John Hancock onto. There';s a reason Arjen wears a hooded sweatshirt and dark sunglasses in all the pics. He's totally embarassed.

You can't simply be serious on this post... Totally ridiculous statement. (Sorry, just my opinion)

Stream of Passion rules big time... I don't see too much goth about it... You shouldn't compare it to Evanescence, Lacuna Coil and Within Temptation... The fact that all of them have female vocalists who sing clean (rather than sounding like Trolls like some in the bands you mentioned) does not make them goth.

Not that I dislike the bands you mentioned... Some are good, like Arch Enemy.

Now you should put on the sweatshirt and the sunglasses...

Silent Song said:
harsh:loco:

but i often disagree with you on bands, so... :)
That's cool. There are some nice moments on this CD, and I like her voice, but I rarely feel like listening to an entrre CD where the songs move at the pace that these songs move. If only the musical interludes had been stronger, I would have ponied-up for this disc.

Zod

Some observations, from my point of view...

If you prefer your vocals to sound like they come from the garbage can of Oscar the Grouch...you won't like this album.

If you don't like any tempo that doesn't go the speed of light 100% of the time...you won't like this album.

And finally...anyone comparing this to Lacuna Coil, Evanescence, and Within Temptation hasn't given it any more than a perfunctory listen. Maybe at a quick glance, there might be some similarities. But this album has tons of very progressive jamming in it (especially the second half of the album) that is not going to sit well with mainstream listeners.

I'm not going to argue that maybe Arjen wrote a couple of songs (Passion, Deceiver) hoping that they might hit mainstream charts and radio stations. But after those two songs, they gradually start going in a completely different direction, much heavier and much more progressive. I like an album that builds to a climax.

BenMech said:
Stream of Passion is clearly a cash-in cd on the femme metal pseudo goth moviement made chartable by Evenescence, Lacuna Coil, and the crappy Within Temptation, in spite of Marcella's resemblence vocally to Anneke Van Giersbergen of The Gathering.

As far as pop cds, it works . . .barely. You can smell the soul-selling nature of the contracts Arjen wrote his John Hancock onto. There';s a reason Arjen wears a hooded sweatshirt and dark sunglasses in all the pics. He's totally embarassed.

The same cash in that growling is maybe?

BTW, Within Temptation is a stellar band!:Smug:

I think the CD is a mixed bag. There are some good songs on there but some of the material is just boring, as Zod says. There's really only 3 or so songs I dislike, but they drag the whole album down if I try to listen to it straight through. I don't think this is a CD that I will be listening to from start to finish very often.

batmura said:
I think the assholes in Ben Mach's avatar must also be embarrassed since they're wearing gay masks on their faces.
the one in the front is a character from a former SciFi show "Farscape". good show by the way.

Trans-Siberian Outcast said:
If you prefer your vocals to sound like they come from the garbage can of Oscar the Grouch...you won't like this album.
I like all sorts of vocals.

If you don't like any tempo that doesn't go the speed of light 100% of the time...you won't like this album.
I like all sorts of tempos.

But this album has tons of very progressive jamming in it (especially the second half of the album) that is not going to sit well with mainstream listeners.
"Tons" is a big overstatement.

I like an album that builds to a climax.
I'm in favor of anything that builds to a climax.:loco: That said, this CD leaves me flaccid.:erk:

Zod

If you've given it a full listen to and it's just not for you, then that's fine. Of course not everyone is going to be into it. There are maybe 3 songs I skip over but I really enjoy the rest. Very rarely do a find a CD that's worth playing through from beginning to end everytime. And that's what I have my iPod for. To make a playlist of exactly what I want to hear.
I just don't care for someone coming here and flapping their mouth off because it doesn't sound exactly how they want every band to sound while also clumping all female clean vocal bands as sounding the same. Guess that means every band that has male clean vocals sounds the same. But then, wouldn't that be true for every band that has grunting female or male vocals?

On another and totally off topic note, I think I may have to throw up as Amazon just recommended Scott Stapp's new CD to me.

Okay, Zod, I'll admit "TONS" was an overstatement. Beg pardon for my over-zealous adjective. But the latter part of the album does have alot of POUNDAGE!
Was playing this disc again after reading this thread. I know some were reticent to compare this Lacuna Coil, but I do hear a Lacuna vibe, moreso in the vocals and the melodies, than in the music. That said, this mdisc is starting to grow on me, ever so slightly. I'll give it a few more spins.

Zod

rockyracoon said:
I gotta say I don't really catch any Lacuna Coil vibes at all. I think the vocals here are far better than anything puts out.
Just curious, do you listen to much LC? I don't recall if it's track 2 or 3, but the melody sounds like it was pulled right off an LC CD.

Zod

General Zod said:
Just curious, do you listen to much LC? I don't recall if it's track 2 or 3, but the melody sounds like it was pulled right off an LC CD.

Zod

hm... the beginning of Passion with the orchestra has some Lacuna Coil similarness I guess. But that's purely an intro. The rest sounds like an Arjen type song. Dunno, I haven't listened to Lacuna Coil in a few months while various Arjen projects have been in constant rotation for about a full year now. Guess I would have to give all their stuff a recent listen to for a real comparison.

In all honesty, LC has not been in my rotation for quite a while. Like Jibrille, I do routinely listen to basically all Arjen projects. Perhaps I would need to revisit LC material to hear what you are talking about...

Jibrille said:
On another and totally off topic note, I think I may have to throw up as Amazon just recommended Scott Stapp's new CD to me.
he's still around? :err:

imo the only song that sounds remotely Lacuna Coil-ish is Deceiver