Thank you and Good Night

I understand the energy and the spirit and whatnot, but people need to take a cue from the people around them. By and large the PPSUA crowd's not a moshing crowd. Headbanging, fist pumping and horns throwing, sure. But moshing? Nuh uh.

I was standing in the middle of all the moshing idiocy at the beginning of the Startovarius set. Mega-respect to Glenn for hauling ass and hitting the floor. I saw him get up from his seat, but figured he was going to have security handle it. Instead, he came down on his own and laid down the law. The guy he was dealing with was nothing less than a complete ass. He was trashed out of his mind (not that there's anything wrong with that) and had already tried to pick a fight with me before the set started. (Why I am a magnet for these idiots is beyond me.) Anyway, Glenn tells it like it is and make sure the idiot knows he'll be tossed if he keeps it up. Stumbly McDrunkass became even more indignant and looked ready to tangle with Glenn. I'm thinking he wasn't fully aware of who had just called him out 'cause had he so much as stepped in Glenn's direction, I think everyone in the surrounding area just might have converged on this idiot.

adaher said:
Think it's bad now? Wait until we are all implanted with chips which record everything we see and hear! That's probably going to be here by PPX!
Does that mean that we'll all be banned from progpower then?

This year's PP was a great one, no real complaints from me. Looking forward to next year's party. :headbang:

Babs, sorry to hear about your mother. My condolences and prayers.

OK Glen, I know you said you weren't going to comment on this after your initial statement but can we have a definition of "digital camera"? Might sound like a stupid question, but it's really not for those of us with digital SLR's. My camera has absolutely no video capability and is pretty much indistinguishable from a film SLR except for the fact that it stores the pictures on a CF card. Even uses the same lenses as a film SLR, and would be pretty hard to mistake for a digital point-n-shoot with video capability. Photography is a pretty big deal for me, and if I can't take pictures in the future it will definitely be a big downer for me.

Even though digi's are banned....the people that are dishonest and can't live with the rules will still continue to bootleg the show. They will all figure out a way to get the camera's into the show and make recordings....while those of us that do not take video, only pic's will leave the camera's behind. So we all end up screwed now....and then.
I agree completely. The phone cameras are getting better and better in quality, I think the chances of preventing someone who wants to bring in one of these devices are pretty slim.

I saw a guy filming Dreamscape during the pre-party. He wasn't even using a digital camera, but a regular camcorder. I told the bouncer sitting by the gold badge lounge. He shrugged and said something very fast in a strong accent, but didn't seem like he cared. I felt bad that this guys was doing that to a VERY cool band, but apparently nobody made the same rule for the pre-party (or it wasn't communicated very well to the event staff).
Yeah, he sure wasn't trying to hide what he was doing. I actually saw Glen and some security guards confront this guy, it was...interesting. At first I thought they were going to beat the shit out of him, then he said to Glen and after that it was all smiles and thumbs up. I'm guessing maybe he was with the band or something.

Regarding the sound, I'm actually a bit surprised at all the complaints, as I thought it was better this year than in past years. The exception being Angra and Stratovarius, both of which were too loud. But I don't think the problem with those two sets was just the mix, I think part of the problem was the vocalists...:Smug:

Harvester said:
I'm all about thrashing, jumping, banging your head, etc.
Glenn H.

hahaha, I can't see you doing all that. Next year, I want you front and center, BEHIND the rail for someone's set, headbanging with the horns and everything. No hat. :p

You're just more like the kinda guy who's like "Hell ya! Music!... Hell ya! I have beer!"

Once again, I can't say that there's one show this entire year that can top this one. Hats off to Glenn for continuing to put on the premier U.S. metal show. As for the bootleggers, you should be ashamed of yourselves. It seems like you do it just in defiance of Glenn and the bands. "They'll never catch me! I have a foolproof plan!" I have one thing to say to that: Fuck you! Also, Glenn, I have to say that though I wouldn't expect a DVD every year (this one had to be a ton of work!), I hope you really don't mean it when you say "never." Perhaps after ProgPower X, you could do another compilation like this. That's just my thought on it. Anyway, thanks to Glenn, the bands, the crew, the security, the vendors, the sponsors, and the fans for making this show possible. Believe it or not, we're all necessary to keep this great festival going. The community that we've formed over these past five years is unlike any other. I don't know of any other genre of music that brings people this close together.

Stay metal. Never rust.
Met-Al

When I grow up and get rich I'm sponsoring Ulver for a three hour double headliner slot. Get the pillows and sleeping bags ready for all the power metal freaks Glenn. :loco: :p

Yeah.....>_> :lol:

The only thing I think might work in regards to bootleggers would be if Glenn got someone tech wise on the board to be the "camera guy" People who want to bring digi cameras would need to send a name and product number to this guy and get the camera preaproved. This same person would also need to tag each camera as it comes in and make sure it is the camera they sent in an email about. There would probably need to be a fee for digicameras to pay for all the trouble and work in researching the camera models. Something like $15 to $10 for each camera sounds about right.

jkohn said:
OK Glen, I know you said you weren't going to comment on this after your initial statement but can we have a definition of "digital camera"? Might sound like a stupid question, but it's really not for those of us with digital SLR's. My camera has absolutely no video capability and is pretty much indistinguishable from a film SLR except for the fact that it stores the pictures on a CF card. Even uses the same lenses as a film SLR, and would be pretty hard to mistake for a digital point-n-shoot with video capability. Photography is a pretty big deal for me, and if I can't take pictures in the future it will definitely be a big downer for me.

I was wondering about this too. I've been thinking about buying a Canon Digital Rebel XT. It's a digital SLR also. Doesn't look a thing like most digital cameras, but looks just like a film camera. It's not capable of video. I don't think any of the digital SLRs are capable.

I agree completely. The phone cameras are getting better and better in quality, I think the chances of preventing someone who wants to bring in one of these devices are pretty slim.

True, but if all digital cameras are banned, and you see somebody holding up a phone, you can guess what they are doing.

IronPlant said:
The only thing I think might work in regards to bootleggers would be if Glenn got someone tech wise on the board to be the "camera guy" People who want to bring digi cameras would need to send a name and product number to this guy and get the camera preaproved. This same person would also need to tag each camera as it comes in and make sure it is the camera they sent in an email about. There would probably need to be a fee for digicameras to pay for all the trouble and work in researching the camera models. Something like $15 to $10 for each camera sounds about right.

Actually, although that's a bunch of work, that's a cool idea. Now, you just need somebody to sit there and miss the show to do that.

IronPlant said:

There were a whole lot of digital cameras there though. If even half the crowd did this, that would be 500+ people to check.

Edit: And in that situation, I think it's probably the same situation as this year. The idea is to make it easier for Glenn and the crew, so that if there's an LCD screen on the floor, it's not supposed to be there, as opposed to having to guess and tell the difference between a photo digi and a taper. So looking at the floor, you can't tell the difference between which people are checked and which people just stuck a video camera in their pocket and are taping, so you're back to square one.

Glenn,

I think I found one as well. She was sitting out in plain sight my friend grabbed security and she walked away after sec. started talking to her, but I didn't hear anything else about it. (I had to get a CD signed for my sick child.) So I don't know if anything happened, but we kept our eyes out and did what we could.

Thanks for the advance warning on Digital cameras. I'm glad I've kept my old camera.

-MetalRose

I was wondering about this too. I've been thinking about buying a Canon Digital Rebel XT. It's a digital SLR also. Doesn't look a thing like most digital cameras, but looks just like a film camera. It's not capable of video. I don't think any of the digital SLRs are capable.
No digital SLR's have video capability, because the mirror is in the way. If a camera has video capability then by definition it's not an SLR.

It will be a shame if DSLR's are banned because they're by far the best way to take decent pics in concert lighting, since you need the high ISO capabilities. I guess shooting high-ISO B/W film is an option but the grain will be considerably worse and then there's the hassle of processing/scanning.

jkohn said:
No digital SLR's have video capability, because the mirror is in the way. If a camera has video capability then by definition it's not an SLR.

It will be a shame if DSLR's are banned because they're by far the best way to take decent pics in concert lighting, since you need the high ISO capabilities. I guess shooting high-ISO B/W film is an option but the grain will be considerably worse and then there's the hassle of processing/scanning.

Ilford makes a high -ISO b/w film that uses C-4 color processing and it's virtually grain free at high speed, I've shot a couple of motocross events with it and it's great.

Many thanks to Glenn and crew for another great Prog Power weekend. This was my second year attending and I had a great time.

Sorry to see digital cameras are being banned but I will dig out my film camera for next year. I can't believe there was 17 disrespectfull bootleggers who can't follow the rules. I hope security took away their cameras and did not give them back whatsoever. Maybe those people would learn that way...doubt it though. I have the ability to film on my digital camera but I have the utmost respect for Glenn and his crew and their wishes so there was no way I would go against him like that. He has always treated me with respect with my questions so I feel he deserves the same in return.

Cya next year Glenn. :wave:

1st off I can understand the reasoning behind that move of banning digi cameras Glen, let me get that out of the way.

Now to those $&%@#&%)$#&%#$()%&@%(@&# who caused the man to ban the cameras there is no middle finger big enough for you. I went out and bought a smaller digital camera just to bring to this fest every year so I wouldnt have to lug around a bigger camera. $400, gone, bye bye. That's not to say I won't use it anywhere else, but PP was the main reason for the purchase.

Great fest as always Glen, can't wait til next year. :worship:

Glenn and crew THANKS for a wonderful weekend!

I'm surprised no one has commented on "non smoking" this year, Even as a smoker, it was sooo nice to go home and not feel like garbage from the extra second hand smoke,... (And pictures turned out much better- next year slr's should do fine without the haze.)..Stepping outside or into the bar was not a problem.

Stratovarius!!!!!!!!!!!THANKYOU THANKYOU THANKYOU THANKYOU, Glenn!

2. Thanks to my sponsors. I hope it was worth it for you this year and my wallet hopes it worth it for you next year.

Mary and I will be sponsors of this show until you decide not to do it any more. This is still the best festival going, and we are very happy to support it and you in any way we can.

Babs, I'm very, very sorry to hear about your mother. I had no idea when I talked to your briefly on Saturday...

dt