The CURRENTLY LISTENING TO thread

After spending the weekend with some intensive Be'lakor listening (fully confirming my view that "Of Breath and Bone" may be the best metal of all time), I am trying on some gothic and progressive power metal this morning - namely "End of September" and "Order of Nine".

The gothic metal is good, but somewhat 'run of the mill'. "Order of Nine" is quite good - this one I will need to spin again.

end-of-september-end-of-september-20120408150430.jpg

order-of-nine-seventh-year-of-the-broken-mirror-20120515143701.jpg

Update on "Order of Nine": Taken as a whole, the CD is good, bordering on very good. There are some outstanding tracks, such as "Spiral Staircase" and "Eye of the Enemy", and a really good track such as "Dreamspeak" - but then the rest I forgot as soon as I heard the song. Selectively, fine stuff, which very much reminds of the better tracks of Mindwarp Chamber.

Checking out some Finnish gothic melodic death metal by ZeroCrowd. Not bad, but somewhat bland. The instrumental aspects fits the gothic metal side of the CD better than the death metal side, which makes the death metal growls appear to be just a little off-center, while the clean male vocals don't grab me at all.

Worth one listen to me, and may do more for others.

circus-maximus-nine-20120515135236.jpg

Too soon for comments - but it sure as hell is clearly recognizable as Circus Maximus. It will take some time to digest.

Today's playlist:

H.E.A.T - Address The Nation
Airrace - Back To The Start
Unisonic - S/T
Rob Moratti - Victory
Terry Brock - Diamond Blue
Tony Harnell & The Mercury Trip - Round Trip

kreator-phantom-antichrist-album-cover.jpg

This album seems quite different for them. Sure, there are a number of typical Kreator stuff on here, but there's some diversity and classic metal stuff incorporated as well. I don't know if I like that or not yet though.

candlemass_psalms.jpg

Like what I've heard so far (about halfway through) but still no King...

I'm probably one of the few others here that actually likes that band. I got the new one a couple weeks back, still haven't listened to it though.

I love them! I normally don't listen to much of this type of music, so when I'm in the mood for it I turn to Demon Hunter. Maybe the reason I like them so much is because I don't listen to much "modern metal".

~Brian~