The CURRENTLY LISTENING TO thread

a band that did not grab enough of my attention with their debut album, so I ended up neglecting for several years is 3 INCHES OF BLOOD from Vancouver. Just pure unadulterated traditional metal. And their latest album has at long last made me a fan...

http://youtu.be/XYvvvU71qBo

'Long Live Heavy Metal' has been destroying my car stereo for most of the week. :loco:

They had me at Deadly Sinners. Heard that song on Sirius when David Wayne died and they had a show where some musicians called in, and the played some bands who stated Metal Church was a big influence. This was the last song they played for that show.. instant purchase.

Starting the morning with Barren Earth:

barren-earth-the-devils-resolve-20120113003823.jpg

So far, I think I like their first release better - this one is good, but....

dereksherinian.jpg

Starting off the study day with some cool... maybe today I'll listen to more than one album at my desk...

Amaranthe - Amaranthe
[insert album cover]

Meh. I just can't really get into these guys :( I may check em out at the fest but I don't think I'll be buying this one, gg rhapsody.

Started the day with some failures - all due to blackened vocals, which I just cannot stand. Polish folk metal, violin-driven, with good female vocals:

at-the-lake-maya-20120425060002.jpg

Not great, not bad at all - nicely done, and the prevalence of the violin makes this different than most.

Not much time today, but was intrigued by this CD by Mencea from Greece, and am now rather enjoying some thrashy French output from Broken Mirrors:

3854909.jpg

3822358.jpg

Awful artwork how? If you're talking subject matter, maybe....but the actual drawing/painting is not bad at all. It looks like it was inspired by Mucha.....very design-y in it's art deco style.

Based on my PERSONAL TASTE, it's awful.

I am not an artist, nor can I get technical as far as drawings/paintings. Either I like something or I don't. This one I don't like at all. That's why I think it's awful.

I have just purchased and listened to the new Be'lakor CD "Of Breath and Bone" - and I can honestly say that I may now own the very best metal CD ever made.

Note the adjectives and intensifier: Best....Metal......Ever.

Best. Period.

Metal. All metal.

Ever. Period.

belakor-of-breath-and-bone-20120313201228.jpg

I have just purchased and listened to the new Be'lakor CD "Of Breath and Bone" - and I can honestly say that I may now own the very best metal CD ever made.

Best. Period.

Metal. All metal.

Ever. Period.

OK, with a statement like THAT you officially have me intrigued. Listening to "Remnants" on the web site now.......

Best. Period.

Metal. All metal.

Ever. Period.

I took a listen to this as well. While I wouldn't say best metal ever, it is really good. It reminds me of Septicflesh.

OK, with a statement like THAT you officially have me intrigued. Listening to "Remnants" on the web site now.......

Maybe I should have pointed out explicitly that this is one man's opinion - mine - but I genuinly feel that way about this effort, even after 3 listens and counting.

I took a listen to this as well. While I wouldn't say best metal ever, it is really good. It reminds me of Septicflesh.

I really like the newest Septic Flesh, don't get me wrong. But I would argue that they are much more oriented towards symphonic metal, and I would lean to using progressive metal as a sub-category for Be'lakor. There is just so much going on, but it is made to fit together so well.....

I really like the newest Septic Flesh, don't get me wrong. But I would argue that they are much more oriented towards symphonic metal, and I would lean to using progressive metal as a sub-category for Be'lakor. There is just so much going on, but it is made to fit together so well.....

Oh I agree with that. This is much more progressive, whereas Septicflesh is more symphonic. Still reminds me of them though.