The CURRENTLY LISTENING TO thread

Thanks Concertmusic for the suggestions! Going to have to check out Omnium Gatherum. Absolutely love all 3 Obscura releases!

Right now, my rotation consists of:

Paradise Lost -- "Tragic Idol"
Jeff Loomis -- "Plains of Oblivion"
Baroness -- EVERYTHING in anticipation of the show tomorrow night!
Meshuggah -- Koloss
Astra -- "The Black Chord"

Thanks Concertmusic for the suggestions! Going to have to check out Omnium Gatherum. Absolutely love all 3 Obscura releases!

Right now, my rotation consists of:

Paradise Lost -- "Tragic Idol"
Jeff Loomis -- "Plains of Oblivion"
Baroness -- EVERYTHING in anticipation of the show tomorrow night!
Meshuggah -- Koloss
Astra -- "The Black Chord"

Glad you found something to like - this melodic/technical death metal exploration is turning up some new favorites for me as well.

On a separate note, looking at your rotation, I tried Koloss twice over the past two weeks - and simply couldn't get into it at all. Based on all of the great reviews, I will have to keep that one in mind again.

Starting the day with an Australian band that is related to Aeon of Horus - great instrumental chops, but the vocals are just a little annoying at times:

templestowe-cimmerian.jpg

Something similar to Omnium Gatherum, from 2009:

insomnium-across-the-dark.jpg

Might have to listen to that one again another time - it was good, but did not demand/grab my attention as much as it should have.

Instead of similar to Omnium, next is a 2007 back catalogue entry from the Finns:

omnium-gatherum-stuck-here-on-snakes-way.jpg

Definitely not as polished as the last two efforts - and the vocals are quite a bit different - but still pretty good.

Insomnium's "Across the Dark" just did not grab me - good, but simply not great. So - let's give their 2006 effort a spin:

insomnium-above-the-weeping-world.jpg

This CD is very good indeed - after I had almost lost interest with "Across the Dark". I will now need to check out "One for Sorrow" for sure, in the hope that it builds on this effort.

Wednesday's Playlist:

TONY HARNELL & THE MERCURY TRAIN - Round Trip
STRANGEWAYS - Native Sons
VAIN - Enough Rope
KAMELOT - Karma
STRYPER - To Hell With The Devil
LEVERAGE - Blind Fire

I usually post my selection AFTER I have finished the whole thing - since I may not like it enough to finish. However - I have only heard the first two tracks of this work so far, and I am nearly speechless. Possibly the best melodic death metal I have ever heard - and I cannot wait for the rest (actually, I may have to wait - until tomorrow - but it appears it will be well worth it!):

belakor-stones-reach-20120513130941.jpg

Update: This CD is a flawless masterpiece. I could go on and on - but if you have any tendency to enjoy progressive metal and death metal both - this will affect you deeply. Go.

I am very cautiously moving on to Be'lakor's first CD - hoping not to be too disappointed. Considering that "Stone's Reach" may be the best progressive melodic death metal I have ever heard, the bar is set incredibly high - but I am literally drooling to hear this freshman effort:

belakor-the-frail-tide.jpg

I had no reason to fear. While this CD is not the same flawless wonder as its successor, it is a very mature, really good progressive melodic death metal feast. For a first effort, it is oustanding.

X Japan - Jealousy. Holy crap, I haven't been so impressed with a band since I first heard Pain of Salvation so many years ago. Jealousy was released in 1991, and is quite an amazing, diverse and emotive CD. Touches on heavy, speed, symphonic, progressive, ballads, you name it. I have been a fan of Anthem, EZO and Loudness since the early 80's and had never even heard of X Japan until a few weeks ago. And now I can't turn off the loop button. Just wow.

I can already tell that this CD will get one spin only - Silent Descent and their 2nd full-length effort called "Mind Games". I am NOT providing the cover, as it makes me shudder every time I see it.

They play a weird mix of metalcore, a little death metal, with a copious helping of trance/dance synthesizers in the background. The metalcore vocals are annoying as hell, and the clean vocals can be found on any band on Sirius' Octane channel. There is plenty of melody - but as a whole, it just isn't all that interesting.

Since they produced this CD, I feel that I owe them one listen - but that's it. Move aside.

Edit: Forget it - my time is too precious. This simply isn't very good. Done.