The "it wouldn't have happened if it weren't for Glenn and ProgPower" thread

If it wasn't for Glenn & Prog Power:

I'd still be trying to figuring out how to get to a Freak Kitchen show overseas. I also wouldn't have had the time of my life hanging out with the dudes last September, and having the opportunity to see them again in October. :kickass: :headbang: :kickass:

Don't know how many of you may or may not know, but Therion centered their very first U.S. tour around ProgPower USA VI. And here is what Kristian Neimann told me about their show at PPUSA: "That PP show was really cool for us too, one of the best shows we´ve ever played I think."

So thank you Glenn! :kickass: Cheers!

I also would not have discovered a few my my now-favorite bands... such as Tad Morose, Pagan's Mind, EPICA, and Wuthering Heights - just to name a few.

~Hoyt.

Well I don't know that I really have anything to add that hasn't already been voiced but...

Since I haven't yet attended a ProgPower festival -- this year's will be my first -- I have yet to have any extensive dealings with Glenn. My initial entry into the ProgPower community was via this forum and in the short amount of time I've been a member here I have learned so much about a variety of music-related topics that I almost feel as if I have been living in isolation prior to this. Many of you, including Glenn himself, have introduced me to more new bands than I can count, made me aware of music festivals and tours I would otherwise not known about, and even taken the time to answer many of my questions about the music industry in general. For that I am very appreciative. It is nice to be able to participate in a forum such as this and to exchange thoughts with people who share the same love for this type of music as I do.

Clearly, ProgPower USA is very highly-regarded in the metal community and that is no doubt a reflection on Glenn and his passion for music and sharing it with people like ourselves. I'm sure all the work he and his aides do behind the scenes to bring us all of this (from the festival to even this forum) is staggering. I, for one, appreciate everything that has been done! So if it weren't for Glenn I know I would never get to know about a lot of amazing bands and most assuredly wouldn't have to opportunity to see many of them together at one festival in the United States. And if it weren't for Glenn I would not have been able to exchange thoughts and ideas with many of you in this forum that have opened my eyes to a great many wonderful and interesting things!!! I sincerely hope I can meet Glenn and many of you this fall in Atlanta. I'll be easy to recognize as Sleestaks tend to stand out in a crowd (a non-Sleestak crowd that is).... :lol:

Muchisimas gracias a Glenn y muchismas gracias a ustedes! :headbang:

If it wasn't for Glenn & Prog Power:

I'd still be trying to figuring out how to get to a Freak Kitchen show overseas. I also wouldn't have had the time of my life hanging out with the dudes last September, and having the opportunity to see them again in October. :kickass: :headbang: :kickass:

For me, replace Freak Ktichen with Mercenary, except for the seeing them again in october thing.

Through ProgPower, and all because of Glenn, I have been introduced to so many great bands and friends. My first ProgPower (PPV) came at a time in my life where I was really searching for a place to feel like I fit somewhere. This was it. I am so grateful for everything this festival has done for me, I could probably go on for pages about all the great people, bands, experiences, and stuff that Glenn and ProgPower brought into my life. Instead, I'll just say - THANKS!!! :headbang:

I don't know what else to say that hasn't already been said, except maybe - Glenn is going to have a mighty fine surprise of being able to read this nice thankful thread when he gets back from vacation. :kickass:

After reading all these responses, it comes down to this. If not for Glenn all of us whether young, old, or inbetween, male or female or in between(hehehehe) would have to pray that maybe someday we would get to go to one of the awesome festivals in Europe. I see it like this, if Glenn hadn't put his ass on the line 9 years ago then there wouldn't be a ProgPowerUSA, or for that matter none of the bands that we enjoy hearing every year may not even venture to the USA. ProgPower is a place of serenity, a place where we all come to not only enjoy music and destroy our livers, but it is also a place where a diverse group of people from College Professors, to Corporate executives all the way down to High School students can come together for a few days and share music, and cultivate friendships that will last forever. I believe that this group of totally diverse people are in fact the greatest collection of people in the world, and that if this is any indication of the world's people then we will be okay. So not only is this a salute to Glenn and his hard work, but also to all of you who are actually the 11th band for the festival and the 5th band for the Showcase.

Honestly, one of the simplest things is there wouldn't be this forum. I have a tendency of avoiding metal forums because the level of discussion is often quite lacking, especially in general metal areas (a lot of places on UM outside of here have those issues). While some may laugh at the latest topics of annoying lights, live shows being too loud, etc they are at least possible here with a relatively civil discussion instead of there being an immediate reply about the OP being a gay sissy with something about his mother or whatever. Along with topics of female lead bands where 90% of the replies aren't about how the band sucks but they'd still tap it.
Not to mention how often this place introduces me to bands I might never have listened to otherwise (hell, Glenn's appraisel of the latest My Chemical Romance CD got me to listen to it and I hate that type of music usually).

I think all the above comments pretty much sum it all up for me. I have met some amazing people, and seen some amazing bands.... that would have NEVER happened otherwise. I certainly look forward to meeting new friends every year.

For those who have posted, who have never attened... I only give you this single point. Feel free to talk to ANYONE! The crowd who attends this fest is the best, bar none. Just because you have never attended before, does not make you any different. Everyone was a newbie at one point. We are all there for the common love!

So many people have stated eloquently how awesome the PP audience is, that sense of camaraderie....and that's one of the greatest gifts Glenn has given to us all.

Don't know how many of you may or may not know, but Therion centered their very first U.S. tour around ProgPower USA VI. And here is what Kristian Neimann told me about their show at PPUSA: "That PP show was really cool for us too, one of the best shows we´ve ever played I think."
So thank you Glenn! :kickass: Cheers!

At the time, Glenn told me he couldn't have booked Therion at all if it hadn't been for my sponsorship, so thanks to Glenn, that show -- and indirectly the tour -- is a feather in my hat I can treasure forever.

If it weren't for Glenn, I wouldn't have ever seen Devin Townsend and his band live, as they never played Atlanta again after their PP appearance. That was my first sponsorship for PP, and it was an experience that might now never be repeated.

Heck, if it weren't for Glenn and PPUSA, then one of my Top 5 live performances ever -- Pain of Salvation at PPUSA 1.0 -- would never have happened.

If it weren't for Glenn and PP, I wouldn't have had the opportunity to see Nightwish in a great venue, in one of the most powerful -- and ultimately, most moving -- performances I've ever seen. Some of you know the backstory there involving Marc Brueland. Adding that in, sponsoring that performance ranks as one of the accomplishments I'm most proud of, in this life.

I've said it before and I'll say it again: Glenn is a true example of how one man, with a vision and a lot of determination, can change the course of metal in the U.S. forever. Make no mistake about it; he is a giant.

There have been many amazing moments since PP started, but I think the most special one for me was Conception. I never, ever thought I'd see this band live, and yet Glenn somehow managed to make it happen. Our sponsorship money was well spent! Actually, it's been well spent every year, as we have always sponsored a band that I have really wanted to see (Adagio, Conception, Freak Kitchen and Threshold this year). Glenn rules.

dt

If it weren't for Glenn...

1) I probably wouldn't think wearing a crazy colorful hawaiin shirt at a metal show was normal.
2.) I wouldn't be able to have the new friends and acquaintances(sp?) I have now.
3.) I most likely would have not been able to meet Theocracy as soon as I did.
4.) I would not be heavily influenced by a lot of vocalists I've seen at PPUSA, which means I would have not stepped up to become a frontman of a local metal act, which also means Matt Smith would have never seen me on stage with said local metal act, which leads up to the important thing...I wouldn't be in Theocracy right now.

I could think of a lot more, but I'll most likely add to this list later.

:headbang:

If it weren't for Glenn...I would have never been part of one of the best fests to come around in ages, witnessed some of the most amazing live performances I will ever see while meeting all the bands and playing twice myself...and mostly, meeting and working with some of the most genuine people I have ever met.

Glenn is shit and always will be. I couldn't repay enough him for these memories even if I hired Buffet to tuck him in every night and sing him to sleep.
:)

Peace.

Wow, everyone has said so much of what I think. Let's see.....

I would never have had a beer with Jon Oliva
I wouldn't have met Shaye and subsequently Urban and been to a kick ass wedding.
I wouldn't have been to Six Flags over Georgia more times than I've been to Six Flags Chicago :)
I wouldn't have French kissed my first girl (and 2nd and 3rd as I recall)
I wouldn't have the casual mentality I do about musicians, and would be scared to talk to them like most people. They're not scary, they are all totally cool people. Go figure :)
Yippee and I probably would still be going to concerts in Chicago all by ourselves and not have gotten over our fear of striking up conversations with total strangers.

So many awesome friends I now couldn't imagine not knowing. So many new bands that we love that we would never have been exposed to.
Seriously, one of the coolest things for Yippee and I about Prog Power is that we meet in Atlanta some really cool people that live right near us in Chicago and give us the opportunity to hang out with people that are into the kind of music we are. That ROCKS!

Thanks Glenn! We are eternally grateful.