The new Angel Dust

rhavin2112

Lost to Apathy
Feb 26, 2002
Knoxville, TN
www.appropriateapocalypse.com
It just goes to show you how perceptions can change....

Last year I saw them open for Nevermore and Opeth in Atlanta. The keyboards were so high in the mix that it drowned out everything else. I thought at the time that they were one of the worst bands I had ever seen.

At PP2.0 I took advantage of the empty hall to get some shopping done during AD's set. That and with the new firends I had made I took every oppurtunity to make fun of this band(those of you who were present during this drunken tirade please overlook a man who had way too many Heineken's on an empty stomach). I even bumped into Dirk and Banx. Given my opinion of them at the time I simply shook hands with them and went my way(even though I thought they sucked I would never insult a band. especially one that has the courage to play metal).

On a chance, I picked up "Of Human Bondage" and really listened to this band. Now I don't know how it compares to the rest of their catalog but i really like this disc. So much so that I am getting the rest of their catalog. And to think.....I could have gotten their autograhps if I just did'nt have my head up my ass!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I saw them twice open for Nevermore and Opeth, and both times they were fantastic. And both times, the keyboards so low in the mix, that I heard a few people actually complain about it.

You missed thier PP 2.0 performance?

As for the rest of their catalog, my favortie is "Enlighten the Darkness". Although I am in the minority on this, and most people would tell you to buy "Bleed", I think it's the better disc. For what it's worth, "Enlighten" is easier the heaviest of these two CDs.

GZ

Unfortunately, I think Bondage is going to end up in a similar situation with Labyrinth's Sons Of Thunder, decent album but it could have been a lot better, largely due to a flat production and the edge that ETD and Bleed had is almost nonexistent here.

I missed seeing AD with Nevermore and Opeth in Atlanta when they came through (new job and no time to take off). I have a friend in Jacksonville, Fla who had been recommending them for more than a year to me. I still hadn't taken a chance on them. But about a month before PPUSA2, I happened to do a review on 'Enlighten the Darkness' (http://www.metalprovider.com/soulsofchaos), and was somewhat impressed. They reminded me of a toned-down Nevermore.

But let me tell you... when I saw them at PP2, they blew me away. I know everyone and their brother is gonna disagree with me, but I believe they put on the most powerful performance of night 1. I loved them. Not to take anything away from Symphony X or any other band there, but Angel Dust impressed the hell out of me live.
Now, if they could find some way to harness that live energy into a cd...

:devil:

~Hoyt.

My gawd, I can't believe you missed that fantastic performance!!

Anyway, I got 'Of Human Bondage' last week, and I'm liking it. It has some killer songs, but I'm afraid a few of them don't quite do it for me. I definitely recommend 'Bleed' and 'Enlighten the Darkness,' and 'Border of Reality' is good as well.

Happy listening!

Shaye