The next chapter on the Savatage Epic Novel

AngraRULES

Aug 1, 2002
Visit site
So there's a new interview with the Mountain King, Mr. Oliva himself. He talks about the new album and a little bit about Savatage.

Here's an interesting question/response:

Metal Discovery: When you started JON OLIVA'S PAIN, was there any part of you that was ever tempted to perhaps take a quicker route to success and call yourselves SAVATAGE or was it always important for you to have a completely separate identity for the new music?

Oliva: I had every right and every intention to call the band SAVATAGE, and I was gonna call it SAVATAGE Phase 3 — you know, the third basic period of the band. You had the Criss Oliva period, then the non-Criss Oliva period, and now this period, but I didn't know, at first, if I wanted to be in a band again. For the first one, I did the "'Tage Mahal" record — it was kinda like a test. I was gonna see how it went and how people accepted it, and see if I was happy being back in a band situation again, and as time went on I got comfortable with the guys and I was like, "You know what?! Let's build the band ourselves and then see what happens in another two or three years and, if I decide I wanna do something like that, I'll make the change properly where I'll do a big record and I'll have some of the guys from the old band come and play on a few tracks, and pass the torch on to the new phase of it." It's something I toyed with the idea but, you know, the JON OLIVA'S PAIN thing has been growing very, very strongly over the last two or three years and I'm happy with that. I'm just gonna ride it out and see what happens. I'd like to end my career using the name SAVATAGE. The chances of a SAVATAGE reunion with the guys from the "Dead Winter Dead" period happening is so minute to next to impossible that it might be something I decide to do in another couple of years. So, I don't know, I'll just have to see how things go.

So all of a sudden, he puts light in the end of the tunnel?

For the full interview, go here: http://www.metal-discovery.com/Interviews/jop_interview_2010_pt1.htm

Yeah, I was actually about to post that interview. He certainly does flip flop a lot on his opinion of whether or not Savatage should regroup.

Yeah, I'm now really unsure what Oliva actually wants the fans to do.

It seems he got mad that we won't let Savatage just die and go away, then he throws it right back in our face how he wants to end his career with the name Savatage.

Unfortnately, it won't really mean much to me (that's ME to all the people who will argue) if he just changes the name of Jon Oliva's Pain to Savatage.

I want to see the Wake of Magellan lineup back to really feel like the Savatage (post Criss).

At least I'll be seeing most of that lineup (minus Oliva and Stevens) at the TSO BLN tour.

Wasn;t he saying a month ago that he wants fans to let it go????
Now he is saying he wants to go out under the SAVATAGE name.

While I think a lot here might be happy, would touring as Savatage draw any bigger of a crowd he is doing today with his own band? I think its pretty much the same crowd.

While I think a lot here might be happy, would touring as Savatage draw any bigger of a crowd he is doing today with his own band? I think its pretty much the same crowd.

Well, he doesn't get out of Miami and the East Coast. I would love a west coast tour, and I'll anxiously be waiting for one...at least in TX

Yes, I believe I got referred to as a "Sava-stroker" if my memory serves me correctly. Actually, I was told that I was the "King Sava-stroker". :lol:

I read an article a few years back that the only reason he didn't call it Savatage was because O'Neill owns the Savatage name.

I have to agree with you to be honest. With that said, I would like to see Zak Stevens and the rest of the Dead Winter Dead/Wake of Magellan lineup on stage together again.

~Brian~

I think it would do a tad bit better but nothing substantial. The only way I think it could pull better numbers is if it was a configuration that featured both Oliva and Stevens. They've always been more popular in Europe anyways.

I'd love to see Savatage open up for TSO - since a bunch of the guys are already playing in TSO.................

Yeah, I was actually about to post that interview. He certainly does flip flop a lot on his opinion of whether or not Savatage should regroup.

He still doesn't think that Savatage should regroup. Jon just wants JOP to take on the name Savatage, which I am pretty opposed to. I think if Jon wants to do Savatage, he should at least get some of the other guys involved. If he wants to release his final album under the name Savatage - what he should do is have the JOP guys AND the Sava-guys both involved. I think that's pretty much the win-win that would satisfy all the fans.

I'd love to see Savatage open up for TSO - since a bunch of the guys are already playing in TSO.................

This would be an amazing idea if Savatage's set list looked like this:

01.Taunting Cobras
02.White Witch
03.Sammy and Tex
04.The Dungeons are Calling
05.Awaken
06.Agony and Ecstasy
07.24 Hours Ago
08.City Beneath the Surface
09.Sirens
10.Power of the Night
11.Hall of the Mountain King

... I wonder how many heart attacks that set might induce at a TSO show.

This would be an amazing idea if Savatage's set list looked like this:

01.Taunting Cobras
02.White Witch
03.Sammy and Tex
04.The Dungeons are Calling
05.Awaken
06.Agony and Ecstasy
07.24 Hours Ago
08.City Beneath the Surface
09.Sirens
10.Power of the Night
11.Hall of the Mountain King

... I wonder how many heart attacks that set might induce at a TSO show.

No Edge of Thorns! What the Hell? :lol:

~Brian~

I wasn't building that set based on quality - I mostly tried to stick to heavier songs, for the humorous effect. If I was picking what I actually wanted to see, it wouldn't include more than like 3 or 4 of those songs.

I was just kidding with you considering both our screen names/avatars/or both. :kickass:

~Brian~