Compared to last year's lineup, does this year's lineup make you

• More excited

Votes: 37 35.9%
  • Less excited

Votes: 50 48.5%
  • About the same level of excitement

Votes: 16 15.5%

• Total voters
All things being equal, it would be very interesting to see where this poll would actually be at had neither festival occurred yet. PPVIII is still fresh in everyone's minds. So many people were buzzing about how good Pagan's Mind, Raintime, Communic, etc. were after witnessing their actual performances. PPIX hasn't had a chance to create that "post show buzz effect" yet.

Jason

This year all the way. Yea, I was excited last year because of Pagan's mind and such, but this year, Iced Earth will dominate. This is my most anticipated ProgPower yet because of them. They destroy live, and I never got to see them with Barlow, only Ripper, so I am mega-psyched. I also finally have my chance to get my original Purgatory poster signed by Jon, as the rest of his old band have already signed it.

Far, far less excited about this year's line-up. Disappointed, in fact. Underwhelmed.

If I lived near Atlanta I would continue to attend just to support the festival and to learn about new bands, but since I travel from Washington State I'm afraid I'll have to sit this one out. With young children I simply can't justify the expense ($1500+) to travel across the country for a line-up that does nothing for me. Every year in the past there have been several bands I realy wanted to see along with a couple can't-miss bands (Edguy, Nightwish, Stratovarious, Angra, Jorn, Threshold, Jorn, Pink Cream 69, etc) along with the unknowns, several of whom I usually end up loving (Primal Fear to name the latest). Several of the bands this year have potential, unfortunately the one I've been getting into recently and was beginning to look forward to seeing was Astral Doors. Volbeat was also growing on me. I'm just not getting the rest. I saw Savatage many times back in the day so JoP isn't a big draw for me. I was never a fan of Iced Earth until Ripper joined the band, something about Barlow's voice just grates on me (I know I'm practically alone with this opinion). Amorphis? Yuck. This just isn't my year, I guess. I was honestly expecting a huge headliner that would seal the deal for me, like Helloween, Pretty Maids, Within Temptation, Nocturnal Rites, etc. I was also going to wait for the pre-party announcement before making a decision but, from what I hear, that isn't going to happen before I have to pay for or surrender my gold badge. Hopefully the lineup for PPX will draw me back.

Thanks for all the great memories Glenn, I hope the festival continues to be a success for you for years to come.

More excited! 2 extra bands, a now-rare Iced Earth appearance, and one of the most diverse, yet somehow balanced line ups ever. We've got everything from Elvis to Jesus playing at this fest.

Oh Glenn... thank you...

Love that analogy it's awesome.:headbang::headbang::headbang::headbang:

... something about Barlow's voice just grates on me (I know I'm practically alone with this opinion).

no you aren't :D

Amorphis? Yuck.

I would have said the same back in their death metal days...but i love em now... have you heard their later releases? sure, there is a bit of the old growlie, but they are highly melodic and empassioned.

Pretty Maids, Within Temptation, Nocturnal Rites,

Those would thrill the hell out of me, too....

More excited, for sure.

And I think it's because I didn't know as many of the bands. The thrill of discovery, and the joy of listening to very cool new music tips the scales for me.

QUOTE]

That's exactly what keeps me coming to Progpower every single year. I have so much fun discovering how amazing some of these bands that I've never listened to before are. Plus, the overall experience of it all is majestic.

I would have said the same back in their death metal days...but i love em now... have you heard their later releases? sure, there is a bit of the old growlie, but they are highly melodic and empassioned.

No, I'm not. From what I've heard I'll give them another chance if I run across one of their newer releases. Some of my favorites like Nightwish and Within Temptation had cookie-monster vocals on their earlier albums then then evolved into what they are today. I'm open to the idea that I'll totally love some of the bands after seeing them live, I just can't justify the expense of the trip and everything that goes with it without a "must-see" on the roster. When I was single I would've done it and I'm sure I would walk away totally raving about some unexpected performance, but with child-care costs, formula, diapers, etc., I can't bring myself to make the trip.

but with child-care costs, formula, diapers, etc., I can't bring myself to make the trip.

I can't blame you at all for that logic, and I don't think anyone else would. Nevermind the expenses, I wouldn't be able to (in good concience) pull myself away from my family for that long. Even WITH a "must see."

I have attended every Prog Power. Forget this year compared to last, this lineup doesn't measure up to any of the past shows.

I pretty much get super excited about ProgPower every year because I know there'll be enough bands to justify me going and it being a good time. Since PP2, every year's been exciting. The only spikes have come on the years Edguy was playing.

I can't blame you at all for that logic, and I don't think anyone else would. Nevermind the expenses, I wouldn't be able to (in good concience) pull myself away from my family for that long. Even WITH a "must see."

It's not that hard, but when the fest is over, I am SOOOOO ready to see my two daughters (wife too). You just have to have an understanding spouse. I've been making the trip since it relocated to Atlanta. I had to miss PPVI due to my second daughter's due date falling on the weekend, which was pretty hard to argue, but I resumed the following two years. My wife understands that this is "my weekend" to spend on my only other passion besides family.

As far as this years lineup, I'm still on the fence.