Ticket & Band Replacement

I think, however, you'd have been more polite in bringing this up in the first place rather than ... well.. being kind of a douche about it. :p

I know. It's just that whenever he says he's going to do that I usually end up hating the result. I reacted viscerally. I think he's going to the "WTF?!" well too often these days.

the thrash band? have they made anything good past alice in hell/never neverland? I love those 2 and can't find a decent record by them past that..

Everything they have ever done is damn near perfect in my opinion, but all of the albums are different for the most part, Jeff, until more recently, had almost never had an album come out that sounded like a previous album he had written.

Let's see...tix are pretty much sold out, so Glenn doesn't have to worry about making anybody happy, except himself. Cool.

If I had to pick a band for him to throw in there, as that "something different" band, I'd love to see The Showdown. I know Glenn dug 'em. And they're from the same general area of the country, so it's not a long trip to Atlanta.

In any case, I'm curious to see what he pulled out of his ***. (***=hat!).

Part of what I see as PPUSA's unique-ness in festivals is that the low and opening slot bands can generate as much or more buzz than the headliners. (At least to its regular audience)

On the boards yes, but as with any event, it's the headliner that puts butts in seats. To use a WCW analogy, since Glenn was apparently a fan, people may love Juventud Guerrera and Chris Benoit back in the day when they were on the undercard(and they were certainly more talented), but they paid good money to see Goldberg and Hogan and Flair.

I suppose if thats what your basing your ticket sales on, it would make a difference. Personally, it always seems that I enjoy the bands in the lower slots far and away more than the ones in the higher slots almost without fail. I made a decision to not attend last year based on the fact that I had hardly any interest in the bands playing, and my financial situation. Had I been a little better off, I would've made the trip, so I can appreciate the "draw" factor. I think, however, you'd have been more polite in bringing this up in the first place rather than ... well.. being kind of a douche about it. :p

Glenn and adaher have been around this issue so many times I'm sure the former didn't take it as a "douche" statement. This is a long standing point of contention between them.

If it's Paragon, i'll book the flight the next day.

Of course, that only satisfies the "who the fuck", not the "what the fuck"... :(

I recommended Paragon about 3 years ago. The promoter responded with "Your Power Metal fanboy is showing through. Yuck!"

Don't hold your breath.

Let's see...tix are pretty much sold out, so Glenn doesn't have to worry about making anybody happy, except himself. Cool.

If I had to pick a band for him to throw in there, as that "something different" band, I'd love to see The Showdown. I know Glenn dug 'em. And they're from the same general area of the country, so it's not a long trip to Atlanta.

In any case, I'm curious to see what he pulled out of his ***. (***=hat!).

There are probably about 50 tickets left, and they haven't moved very quickly in the last couple of weeks. This would be a good time to plug in a band with a lot of crossover appeal.

There are 25 tickets remaining. A fast sell-out is always what I prefer. However, a sell-out is a sell-out even it takes four months to happen. The remaining tickets are not a concern of mine at all. Expectations for this festival are set so high that a huge success for other promoters is looked upon as a failure or setback for me. Such is life....

The fans that embrace the oddball selections are my true concern here. They deserve a replacement for Volbeat, not a replacement for a prog or power band. They may be the minority in terms of attendees, but they deserve just as much respect as the prog snob or power traditionalist.

If it was a headliner that canceled, then folks would assume I would book a headliner of similar appeal. If it was one of the lower melodic prog metal bands that canceled, then fans would expect a similar replacement. So why would I differ on the oddball replacement?

Annihillator are incredible!!! Would love to see them at progpower! I know it is all opinion but this band has put out some great cds or shall i say Jeff Waters has. The last cd was a beast as well as many others. A few where a little sub par but for the most part they have all been top shelf in your face metal discs. Can't say enough about them in my top 10 bands of all time. Glen this would be a dream come true if not now, then next year? Ill keep my fingers crossed.

Exactly.

Nightingale?!

Devin Townsend?!

Mercenary??!

Pink Cream 69!?

Orphaned Land in a 4th slot?!?

Freak Kitchen?!

Epica & After Forever in high slots?!?

Volbeat?!?!

I'm like a junkie that needs his fix.....

I'm more amused by the people who bitch that their favorite band on the bill is too low a slot in their opinion. Then come show time, your reasoning for the slot ends up validated *cough*virginsteele*cough*

The fans that embrace the oddball selections are my true concern here. They deserve a replacement for Volbeat, not a replacement for a prog or power band. They may be the minority in terms of attendees, but they deserve just as much respect as the prog snob or power traditionalist.

If it was a headliner that canceled, then folks would assume I would book a headliner of similar appeal. If it was one of the lower melodic prog metal bands that canceled, then fans would expect a similar replacement. So why would I differ on the oddball replacement?

Agreed.

The thing about oddball bands though is that the selection is hit or miss. When you replace a power metal band with a power metal band, you're much more likely to please that crowd because they have a higher chance of already being familiar with said band and enjoying them because they have a similar style. When you replace a completely off-the-wall band with another, the responses are going to be much more varied within that group of people who like the weird stuff. Someone (such as myself) might fall head over heels for Devin Townsend, Mercenary, and Orphaned Land, but when it comes to bands like Volbeat, PC69, and other bands who don't quite "fit," I know when my dinner break is.

Then again, you're never going to please everybody.

I recommended Paragon about 3 years ago. The promoter responded with "Your Power Metal fanboy is showing through. Yuck!"

Don't hold your breath.

Oh this hurts so much inside. Paragon may not be the most original band ever, but they are easily one of the most solid bands in the scene. Easily! They don't have a flat out bad song in the last 4 or 5 albums, and i only say that because i'm not overly familiar with the pre-steelbound stuff. Also, as someone already insinuated, it's not like they're a far cry from Iron Savior... neither in riffs, vocals, production... and honestly I personally think they're better.

Guess it's time to start my own goddamned fest so i can get Paragon to play :lol:

Also, as someone already insinuated, it's not like they're a far cry from Iron Savior... neither in riffs, vocals, production... and honestly I personally think they're better.

You sir, talk a big game. They better deliver, because I'll be checking them out in the very near future. If your statement turns out to be an EPIC FAIL, I will be upset.

I can neither confirm or deny this statement.

:lol: :lol: That's one of my favorite lines ever! Going straight to my signature now! :lol:

I bet I'll have at least *heard of* the replacement, but I probably haven't heard them yet.
Well, that is.. Unless it IS SHADOW REICHENSTEIN!!?!?! o_Oo_Oo_Oo_O:lol::Spin:

Okay okay.. ;)

On the flipside guys, this means its not anyone we've already been talking about :erk: No Orphaned Land, Brainstorm, Devy, Mindflow...

If it IS Pretty Maids, I don't think there would be a lot of "wtf" comments. People have been wanting them for years.

Hmm.... *goes back to the drawing board and clears her schedule for the morning*
Wait, I've got it! That one band... Subway To Sally I think it was!

Congrats on all the tickets sold Glenn! This year especially things are difficult for people, so to have so many already snatched up says a LOT! Rockin! :headbang: