to those of you who attended PP 2.0..

Shaye...

Personally, I wasn't planning on moshing. However, since I know how much you are into getting into a pit, and just raging, I thought I'd ask on your behalf.

GZ, no wait... Greg in NJ

P.S. - no matter what forum it is, The Edge still has no talent.

In my most humble opinion, Angel Dust was the surprise of the weekend for me. I went to PP2 not knowing what to expect from them, as their 'Enlighten the Darkness' cd was good, but not amazing. They kicked my royal ass and left me a fan for life.
Every band had a great show that weekend. Steel Prophet was an added surprise as well. And although they goofed around on stage a little bit, at least they didn't stand in one spot and bore me to tears *cough*nightingale*cough*.
Steel Prophet had a great time on stage and let the fans know they were appreciated. A little while after their set, they were out in the lobby laughing it up and chatting with the fans, including me and my 13 year old son. And for that, I appreciate them as well.

I was supposed to add a PP2 Review to my own li'l webzine back in November. Due to several uncontrollable and a few controllable but unfortunate circumstances, that never came to be. I apologize to Glenn and everyone involved.
I am currently in the slow process of rebuilding and reformatting my li'l metal 'zine, and hope to re-launch in the very near future. Once I do, I will bore everyone here to tears with it.

:D

~Hoyt

Imagination is Stronger than Knowledge

I agree with Glenn, and certainly appreciate the idea of booting anyone that is ignorant enough to start a mosh pit. Save it for a GWAR show.

Back in '97 I was attending Dragon*Con here in Atlanta, where I had the good fortune to not only see one of my favorite bands of all time (for the first -and only- time), ICED EARTH, but I met the band as well. And they were each very receptive to the fans, old and new.
I had been following Iced Earth since early '91, and was looking very forward to seeing them. When it came to their evening to play, there were several unfortunate (and stupid) circumstances that delayed their start time. But when they finally got underway, they were simply amazing, even if there were less than 50 people watching them.
I was almost right up against the stage, and was taking photos of them all. To my left, about five ignorant pre-teen punks began moshing. Before I realized it, one of them was crowd-surfing and as I looked around at them, I caught a boot right in the mouth.
Needless to say, I backed out of there because I was not about to ruin the night for the band by putting that punk through the stage. The worst part is that the kid probably had no idea who Iced Earth was, and was just showing his ass for the sake of showing his ass.
:mad:
I tried to enjoy the rest of the show from a safe distance. I didn't lose a tooth, but I came mighty close.

By the way, Iced Earth would be a nice addition to the PP3 show. Maybe I could enjoy them without fearing for my teeth.

~Hoyt.

Evergrey rocked the fucking house. Symphony X and Angel Dust kicked ass as well. Kamelot sounded very good, but I don't like Khan's stage acting (does not look like a metal concert, more like Backstreet Boys).

being from a place where the only METAL bands to come through town is Slayer and MAYBE Dream Theater (every other tour it seems)....seeing all these bands in ONE SPOT in ONE WEEKEND was pure masturbation material for me!!!! :Smokedev:

Not Only did all the bands blow my mind but there were a few bands (Ark, Evergrey, Steel Prophet) that I would not have discovered until much later if it was not for this grand event!

I have no complaints AT ALL! it was all metal...all weekend.

Every band there (regardless of SOUND problems) put on an excellent show and made the trip totally worth while!
I plan on attending every year if finances permit. And they will permit.....otherwise I will have to resort to sellling my body again!:puke:

Dustin

While I certainly enjoyed all the bands I saw, I have to say that Superior was my favorite of the weekend. Maybe it was because I had not seen them before (having seen SyX at PP 1.0 and Everygrey at PP 1.0 and Powermad '99), but I thought they were great. I hope they come back for PP 4.0.

dt

Well I thought Evergrey was one of the 3 best, the others being Symf X and Kamelot. I don't think Evergrey blew away these two bands, but pretty much took the cake otherwise in my opinion.

Originally posted by PixelPlanet
While I certainly enjoyed all the bands I saw, I have to say that Superior was my favorite of the weekend.dt

This just goes to show how opinions differ. Which is very cool. I always find it amazing how two people, who like essentially the same music, can have such disparate opinions from band to band. Personally, I thought Superior was no better than your average garage band.

I personally thought that the bands at PP 2.0 fell into two distinct classes:

Amazing - Angel Dust, Evergrey, Ark, Sympony X, Kamelot, and Steep Prophet. I would drive great distances and pay good money to see any of these bands again.

Lame - Balance of Power, Superior, Nightingale, Superior, and Spiral Architect. With the exception of BoP, I would show up late if any these bands were opening for a band that I had paid to see.

Just my $0.02.

GZ

Yes, everyone has different opinions about stuff. As long as we all agree that they're opinions, and there's nothing bad/good about them, it's cool.

For example, while I'm sure everyone is excited about BG and GR at PP 3.0, I really don't like these two bands (I'm not much of a power metal fan). I'm much more interested in Threshold and Reading Zero (one of my all time favorites). But I'll give BG and GR a shot live, as I liked Kamelot's live set, while their CDs really haven't done anything for me. I try to keep an open mind.

I'm known for having opinions that differ greatly from the norm anyway. I'm a pain in the ass... :)

dt

Hey, I just came across this board, and thought I'd give my 2 cents....for what it's worth! :D I went to PPII with the main intention of seeing Spiral Architect, but Evergrey blew me away! Spiral Architect unfortunately had a terrible sound, which was disappointing, but those guys are cool, and hanging out with Steve DiGiorgio was definitely a highlight of the trip!

I'm looking forward to PPIII!

I really enjoyed all the sets by each performer..i'd have to say that Kamelot was absolutely amazing, as the vocals were strong and resonating, the guitar was clear, and when the female guest vocals appeared i thought that was cool as hell, as it added to the stage show. Ark kicked ass as well, Jorn Lande, in my opinion one of the best vocalists still kicking, second only to DIO (long live the king). I was a little disappointed that they didn't play "Feed The Fire" or "Just a Little" , although due to the acoustic guitar problem the latter would have been difficult. Angel Dust thundered their set out with no remorse, and more than once i was inspired to start a pit (sorry glenn, didn't know you were anti-pit). Progpower was the greatest of times though, and looking forward to the killer roster this year as well!!!

I'm not anti-pit exactly. I saw you guys jumping up and down and having a good time. That was cool. It looks awesome on the video. :Smokin:

I only throw people out when they start hitting other people or running around in circles body slamming each other.