Watching the Arcturus - Shipwrecked in Oslo DVD = Auto Nomation for Prog Power VIII

Michael TEOF

Master Whorebot
Mar 4, 2002
Schaumburg, IL
www.myspace.com
Perhaps the band would be too expensive to bring here... seeing as a lot of the members are famous for being in bigger bands (isn't the singer the bassist in Dimmu Borgir)? But the music is incredibly progressive... a little powery and certainly theatrical and fun. Their show is very visual, as well... so I think everyone would get into it. Their music really comes across a lot better live than it does on CD.

Anyone who doesn't have this DVD should really get it to see what I'm talking about. If you enjoy quality progressive metal with a avante guarde gothic theatrical twist that doesn't take itself too seriously, this will definately be for you.

I'm really hoping for Arcturus next year.

Glenn, if you're reading this message... please do me a favor and pick up the Shipwrecked in Oslo DVD to see what I'm talking about. You'll be sold on them immediately.

The Michael

Okay... I thought about making a new thread about this, but didn't, but since there's this thread now I'll post my thoughts in it. This is basically a call for information. For the record, let me state that I am a HUGE fan of Arcturus; they are my favorite Norwegian band. I bought the DVD at PP7 and loved it, I love all of their albums, and I love Hellhammer's drum work. I don't want to spread gossip/rumors or try to "make an issue" out of anything. Since Arcturus hasn't been actually announced, and I don't expect them to be anytime soon, this post may be a moot point.

But what if Arcturus DOES play a future ProgPower?

By now you've probably guessed what my post is about: Hellhammer and his racist views.

I am an asian person. I don't let things like that (racist band members) keep me from being a fan of the band, and Hellhammer is one of the most impressive drummers I've heard. But his racist attitude is no secret and has not been for years. While the information in Lords of Chaos (his interview in which he states his attitudes quite explicitly) is out of date (the interview dates to 1994), when I last tried to find out if he's "changed his mind" or not back in 2003, I was told that he has not changed his views, and that he is an active member at a few white-power message forums around the internet. While he is not public or loudmouthed about his beliefs, I can't help but wonder how this would play out at a show like ProgPower which does have a significant non-white audience, mostly asian, hispanic, South American, Indian, etc. etc. Would Hellhammer agree to play a show like this and just be polite about it? What if I saw him in the hallway or on the street during that weekend? Would he refuse to take a picture with me or sign my CD booklet if I asked?

If anybody knows for a fact that Hellhammer isn't racist anymore, please update me. I'd love to hear it. But a thing like that would probably be news, and I haven't heard anything like it - just that he still feels the same way as of at least 2-3 years ago. On the Arcturus DVD, you may notice that while the band members' costumes are colored variously, Hellhammer wears a white face mask. His drumset is painted white. His drum heads are coated white. While I appreciate that he doesn't have swastikas or 88/14 plastered on his drumkit/T-shirt, I can't help but read into his choice of single-color as a quiet indication that he hasn't changed. (Yes I'm aware of his Portuguese descent).

I'm sure I'll get some posts telling me to stop being ridiculous, which is what happened when I posted about this on another forum. Let me just say that racist or not, Hellhammer slams on the drums, and I'd be ecstatic to see Arcturus playing on stage at any ProgPower, even if Hellhammer wouldn't be ecstatic knowing I (and other nonwhite people) would be in the audience.

I bought this DVD at ProgPower, without knowing the band, I took a chance and wanted something fresh, I have been addicted to it since PP! :headbang:

Empress said:
I bought this DVD at ProgPower, without knowing the band, I took a chance and wanted something fresh, I have been addicted to it since PP! :headbang:

That's cool! You didn't know them? Wow you must be pleasantly suprised because they are AWESOME!!:headbang: :headbang: :headbang:

I had The Sham Mirrors in my CD player for months when that came out.
Incredible stuff.:worship:

Without Garm I think they could swing a 4th slot. WITH Garm, they could also swing a 4th slot....because Ulver would obviously be in the headliner slot!!

SharkBlack said:
That's cool! You didn't know them? Wow you must be pleasantly suprised because they are AWESOME!!:headbang: :headbang: :headbang:

I had The Sham Mirrors in my CD player for months when that came out.
Incredible stuff.:worship:

Nope, so I bought the DVD.. and it's no dissapointment!! :kickass:

Empress said:
Nope, so I bought the DVD.. and it's no dissapointment!! :kickass:

Hellz yes. It's all about the bloody-corpse-like-strangely-erotic jester women dancing with the face masks and then randomly getting all bloody and dead looking.

A stage show as badass as that needs to come to Prog Power.

The Michael

I have never even thought about Hellhammer and racism. I would surely hope he would not do that, and don't think he would considering his stature in the metal world, and coming to a premier festival. Hellhammer is one of my favorite drummers and in my eyes one of the strongest drummers in the genre, and I had never even fathomed the thought of him performing at a Progpower. I have yet to see this dvd (it looks amazing) but I know that just watching it will make me burst into flames, haha. I think it would be great to see Arcturus at Progpower. :) . Ulver, lol.

Just got my Arcturus DVD in the mail today!!
This is one of the best concert vids I've seen in a long time. Arcturus RULE!
And they need to play Progpower at some point! :kickass: :kickass: :kickass:

Amazing.:worship:

Simen Hestnaes is as gorgeous as he is talented!!! I'd pay big bucks to see this! Oh wait I wouldn't have to cuz I know him. He's an amazing vocalist and bass player! I vote yes on this one!

You folks do realize that Dimmu will be touring on a new release next year correct? Even if Arcturus would commit, they would cancel at the drop of a hat if Dimmu decided to do some dates during the same time period close to the date of the show?

For example, let's assume that Dimmu does Ozzfest next year. I would worry about them booking some headline shows right afterwards since they are already in the States. Arcturus shows would be canned in a heartbeat.

Harvester said:
You folks do realize that Dimmu will be touring on a new release next year correct? Even if Arcturus would commit, they would cancel at the drop of a hat if Dimmu decided to do some dates during the same time period close to the date of the show?

For example, let's assume that Dimmu does Ozzfest next year. I would worry about them booking some headline shows right afterwards since they are already in the States. Arcturus shows would be canned in a heartbeat.

So make the offer and hide a gigantic cancellation fee somewhere in the contract in print so fine it resembles an LotFP font. Hope they cancel and then let everyone in for free. :D