What is your most memorable moment that involves metal music?

SwordLord

Attack!
Sep 20, 2004
St. Paul, Minnesota
www.myspace.com
Hello all ...

Allow me to clarify ... :loco:

As is common to us all, there are certain songs that you may have heard at a specific moment or period in your life that will forever remind you of that "thing" forever...

So what's yours?

Forgive the personal examples, but I've been doing a lot of thinking lately ... so here are mine.

1. The Song -- FULL MOON by Sonata Arctica

The only woman I've ever, ever dated that liked power/prog metal as much as I did lived significantly far away from me. But once, she visited me for 6 truly amazing days. The first day that she was over, in the morning, I was cooking breakfast after our first night together. I had something playing on the stereo and she came into the kitchen and picked up my "Successor" CD and put it in. The first track on that CD is "FullMoon" (a radio edit). That happens to be one of my favorite songs by them. I came and put the breakfast on the table and we started eating. I looked across the table at her and I said, "I never ever thought in a million years that I'd be sitting across the table listening to Sonata over breakfast with a woman who actually loves them!" That was one of the best days of my life...

2. The Song -- Communion and the Oracle by Symphony X

Ironically enough with the same woman who was discussed previously, I was at the Grand Canyon in August of 2005. We were doing a whirl-wind tour -- 48 hours around the canyon and I had to be back in Vegas for a red-eye flight back to Minneapolis, Minnesota. Well, if you drive like that, you can't really spend a lot of time walking, you end up spending a lot of time in the car. Between the two of us, we had a PILE of prog/power metal and she had brought along my favorite Symphony X CD (V - New Mythology) which contains C&O -- my favorite song.

So we are listening to this song and we round a bend and get a beautiful glimpse of the Grand Canyon. The music of Symphony X was P-E-R-F-E-C-T for that moment!!! There is no other song that could have been played or written that fit that moment better. And then we hit my favorite verse in the song ...

"Night and day will find a way ... to keep the balance true! Let the sky and stars be your guide ... the destination is up to you!"

The moment was just perfect and it was largely due to that song. I can't hear that song now that I don't think of that day and that moment.

I love this music ... I truly do.
Nathan

Well, along those lines... altho not metal, but just about anything by Journey reminds me of my ex-girlfriend (Don't Stop Believing was 'our' song).

But going with the title of the thread, my most memorable moment that involves metal music was getting to meet Manticora & see them play live last year at PP. Most of you know my whole cancer story behind it. Well, it's easy to say that 'that' will be my most memorable metal moment ever.

Or at least for now. :headbang:

SwordLord said:
Communion and the Oracle by Symphony X

One of the few songs that actually sends chills up and down my spine when I hear it.

However, my most memorable moment (non-concert related) came after journeying to Wacken 2001. After the festival, me and a friend of mine decided to venture to Sweden and ultimately the Åland Islands on the Baltic Sea. As I was sailing from Stockholm on the Viking Line ferry I decided to listen to Morningrise from Opeth (my favorite album then and now) while sitting alone on a deck in the back of the huge ship. Upon listening to "The Night and the Silent Water" on the clearest, calmest day imaginable, the ship sailed past some of the most beautiful mini-islands I had ever seen. There must have been a million of them, just soaring past as a majestic backdrop to the music, the wind, the water, the sky and the most peaceful place I have ever been both in body and spirit. It was as though that moment in time was meant for me and me alone.

It was an experience I'll never forget.

Jason

1. Bonfire's "Fireworks" cd. I was failing college in my first semester, I wasn't happy with my girlfriend, I was hot for a swimmer, and I was pretty lonely being away from home for the first time. I love this cd, but I wish I could detach it from that time in my life.

2. Whitesnake "1987". One of my first drinking parties and it involved girls in their underwear, a girl showing me her tits to try to get me to bang her, and camping out all night on the side of a hill and this tape playing over and over again. GOD, I miss those days.

3. Accept "Metal Heart" and Judas Priest "Defenders". Took a train trip to Florida and these were the only 2 tapes I had for the 24 hour trip. I think it was then that I discovered "mood" in music and how it worked to highten the experience of the moment. I still love those 2 cds.

well, one of my most memorable moments will be the 1st time i heard metal...Die With Your Boots On by iron maiden!! it kicked my ass, even above that, probably my first concert- which was maiden's brave new world tour...been to everyone since. i have such a deep connection with so many songs itd be impossible to type each one here.

This one is pretty easy, it was when I saw Iced Earth play Gettysburg live. I had loved this band so much for several years and then they announced a concert only 4 hours from me. I was unbelievabley happy as soon as I found out I screamed and woke up at the girlfriend. Then seeing that song live with her and taking the road trip just that whole experience is breath taking. But now I hate that bitch, so it makes me sad at the same time to think about it.

Well, my most memorable 'metal' moment will come in a minute... :) in the meantime, my similar to SL's Sonata moment was last year... sitting on my couch with my then-boyfriend, watching a Marillion video, and suddenly realizing I was talking to someone who had actually just agreed with me that the solo for Easter is one of the most poignant and moving I've ever heard... maybe it sounds silly to some people, but being able to share something that means so much to me as Marillion does is a humbling experience. I think he would say something similar, as he once commented on how cool it was that our first argument, over Queensryche's Empire, was something I could actually argue with him about. :)

Anyway, most memorable "metal" moment... there are so many good ones... it must have been when I sat down with Operation:mindcrime for the first time... I put it on my stepmom's big old, furniture-y record player, after having waited until I had the house to myself. I sat down with the album sleeve with the lyrics and was just blown away. I still remember it like yesterday, and it was more than 17 years ago!

Concert-wise, again not very "metal" of me, but nothing will probably ever beat seeing Marillion play Brave live in 2002... talk about chills. And it's not even my favorite album by them. :D

Hmm...

Maybe... Dream Theater and Queensryche on the same stage doing The Spirit Carries On. Can't get much more perfect than that.

MegadetH, State Theater 1997, they're DESTROYING us with Hangar 18. It was a picture perfect visual. Walls of Marshall, drumkit built from welded chain, three dudes in front bashing their heads away. FLAWLESS.

Dream Theater, front row, rooftop of Phoenix Plaza, open air show, bright moon, crystal clear skies, gentle breeze, James comes out, "Wow, looks like we picked a perfect evening for a concert!" and the guys just played everything I wanted to hear that night. Best environment for a concert.

Our tribute show to Dimebag. Nothing more metal.

\m/

Opeth - Blackwater Park album.

Was driving through the NH tollbooths last year, blasting the stereo. threw my change in, punched it. i glance to the right... the car next to me also has their windows down and they flash me the \m/ before speeding off.

i will list a few whether you understand or not...(many people say power metal can't affect you this way cos of what the lyrics generally hold, but, i say screw that! ha) and ironically, most of my deepest connections with songs are from blind guardian.

bards song, a past and future secret, imaginations, bloods tears, noldor, under the ice, age of false innocence- blind guardian

upon the grave of guilt- falconer

infinite dreams, out of the silent planet- iron maiden

nova era- angra

No-Mercy said:
i will list a few whether you understand or not...(many people say power metal can't affect you this way cos of what the lyrics generally hold, but, i say screw that! ha) and ironically, most of my deepest connections with songs are from blind guardian.

bards song, a past and future secret, imaginations, bloods tears, noldor, under the ice, age of false innocence- blind guardian

upon the grave of guilt- falconer

infinite dreams, out of the silent planet- iron maiden

nova era- angra

Out of The Silent Planet gives me the chills and goosebumps every time I listen to it and think about someday hopefully seeing that song live.

Maybe not my most metal moment, but it was cool to me:

A few years back I was holiday shopping for the nieces and nephews in Toys R Us. One of the younger staff there was singing something familiar:

Lord bring on the night, Wrap it all around me

I realized it was "All That I Bleed" by Savatage. I walked up to him and complimented him, telling him that it isn't often you hear someone singing Savatage, especially in Toys R Us. He was pretty dumbfounded that someone knew what he was singing.

Steve in Philly

Last Saturday night our band, Prymary, opened for Sonata Arctica at the Galaxy Theater in Santa Ana and we didn't know what to expect for the turn out. SA is awesome, but they're from Finland, and knowing that the local Metal Scene is a little weak compared to other US cities we were a little concerned. As our set time approached we were warming up in the dressing room as the people slowly began to appear out of the woodworks. And, at 8:30 when Prymary took the stage there was literally no standing room from the barricades all the way to the back of the venue. So we ended up playing to a packed house of roughly 750 people at a venue sporting a killer sound system. What a feeling to have hundreds of people, who clearly came to see Sonata, totally headbanging to our music by the end of the second song. We played a very good set, sold a bunch of CDs and shirts and gained the respect of a lot of people who weren't aware of us before. It was a great milestone for our band.

Now, we get to do it all again with Spock's Beard at the same venue in May. Can't wait.

Well, this may not be a METAL moment, but it will forever be etched into my mind. Aug 2004, after an 8 hour trip to Scottsdale Arizona, we checked into our hotel, My daughter and I. Then we decided to go out and see what the parking was like at the Venue of Scottsdale where NIGHTWISH was playing that night. Well the venue was only like two blocks from our hotel, but we were not going to walk it was 114 degrees in the shade. Well, we found the parking was great and plentiful. We pulled into a space to turn around and these two big buses at that moment pulled up behind us blocking us. So i went over to ask if they could pull up just a few feet to let me out, and who is the first person i talk to???? JUKKA, who my daughter happened to have a big crush on. So i told him the situation and also about my daughter, and being the person he is he went over to say hi to her, well saying hi turned into like a 12 hour marathon, we got to meet all of the band and sit in on the sound check, and even go to dinner and then backstage with them. It is something i will remember and i know my daughter will also for the rest of her life.

Regor said:
Well, along those lines... altho not metal, but just about anything by Journey reminds me of my ex-girlfriend (Don't Stop Believing was 'our' song).

But going with the title of the thread, my most memorable moment that involves metal music was getting to meet Manticora & see them play live last year at PP. Most of you know my whole cancer story behind it. Well, it's easy to say that 'that' will be my most memorable metal moment ever.

Or at least for now. :headbang:

Thanks for sharing, brother!

Yeah ... those "our" song things ... the very first "our-song" that I ever had was Sting's "Fields of Gold." I can't listen to that damn song anymore because it reminds me of the very first true love I ever had. Years later when LEAVING LAS VEGAS came out, when Sting sings the opening (and closing) title song, I ended up thinking about her and that song. He really does have a kick-ass voice even if he isn't metal.

Manticora ... cool bro ... good luck with the fight.

Nathan

Dark One said:
One of the few songs that actually sends chills up and down my spine when I hear it.

Yesssssssssss! I always feel that way about that song ... nice to know I'm not alone in that ... musically that song is just a master-piece, IMHO... :loco:

Dark One said:
However, my most memorable moment (non-concert related) came after journeying to Wacken 2001. After the festival, me and a friend of mine decided to venture to Sweden and ultimately the Åland Islands on the Baltic Sea. As I was sailing from Stockholm on the Viking Line ferry I decided to listen to Morningrise from Opeth (my favorite album then and now) while sitting alone on a deck in the back of the huge ship. Upon listening to "The Night and the Silent Water" on the clearest, calmest day imaginable, the ship sailed past some of the most beautiful mini-islands I had ever seen. There must have been a million of them, just soaring past as a majestic backdrop to the music, the wind, the water, the sky and the most peaceful place I have ever been both in body and spirit. It was as though that moment in time was meant for me and me alone.

It was an experience I'll never forget.

Jason

Dude, that so RULES! WOW! Very well written, descriptive post -- truly enjoyed reading that -- thanks for sharing! Make that yet another reason I should buy an Opeth CD soon ... :Spin:

Nathan

SwordLord said:
Dude, that so RULES! WOW! Very well written, descriptive post -- truly enjoyed reading that -- thanks for sharing! Make that yet another reason I should buy an Opeth CD soon ... :Spin:

Thanks Nathan. My advice would be to buy Morningrise (far different from their later works), find a quiet room without distractions, get comfortable and just absorb the magic. :)

For their later works - "Still Life", "My Arms, Your Hearse" & "Blackwater Park" all seem to be the most widely recommended among fans.

Jason