Why is Stride so awesome???

metalprof

Ken Luther
Mar 11, 2005
Valparaiso, IN
faculty.valpo.edu
One good thread deserves another :)

I first saw Stride at the PPIV pre-party along with the similarly surprising Prymary. I didn't remember much specifically about Stride's performance except that I was really impressed, that they did a great cover of 2112, and that the chorus for one song was stuck in my head....

...for almost two years...

That song was Face the Day. When Shane Dubose sent me Stride's 3-song demo in late 2004, I finally got to hear the whole thing all over again, and was reminded what a great song it was. The other two songs on that demo, How Far and Imagine, were also very good.

When I saw Stride was playing the main stage at PPVI, I was very excited to see them perform again. I got my butt down to the front and close up, which I usually don't do (although this year I spent more time on my feet than any previous year). I awaited the set with a bit of trepidation of the "let down factor"; surely, having loved Face the Day for so long, I would be disappointed by everything else new they played.

No such problems. They played a new song I had never heard before (Alive) which gave me the same shivers of delight that Face the Day had. It was one of my favorite sets of this year's ProgPower.

I also, of course, purchased Stride's brand new CD Imagine from Ken Golden at the merch tables. Like their set itself, I was a bit worried about the let-down factor. Surely, the entire CD could not rock my world like a couple of individual songs did?

But again, no such problems. I already knew I'd like the three songs from the demo, but even Face the Day was given a new edge to it - they either re-recorded some parts or remastered it, I think. The new instrumentals held up against most of Music Machine. The songs I had never heard before, like The Waiting, Alive, etc also hold their own against the rest. The Waiting will be one of my top 10 songs of the year. The closing track of the CD, Time, is a treat for us old Triumph fans as parts of it are very reminiscent of Time Canon off Thunder Seven.

Doesn't matter to me whether this is "prog" or not, simply put, Stride offers a chunk of wholesome melodic goodness that inspires head banging and singing along with every listen.

So there.

Ken

metalprof said:
Doesn't matter to me whether this is "prog" or not, simply put, Stride offers a chunk of wholesome melodic goodness that inspires head banging and singing along with every listen.

-----------------------------------------------------
Ken Luther
Associate Professor of Mathematics
Valparaiso University

No, clearly they're 'math-metal.' :tickled: :tickled:

[For the record, I thought they had an excellent set, not a let-down in any way.]

rockyracoon said:
Perhaps "balls" were not the goal. How un-metal of them...
My thoughts exactly.

Though the lack of "balls" is not my biggest problem with the disc. It's only my problem in a nutshell (haha, nutshell... I crack myself up). After the first track, which smokes, the CD goes something lie this:

Journeyesque, no testicular fortitude ballad
Noodling, a battle to see who can play a faster scale; the guitar or keyboard player
Noodling, a battle to see who can play a faster scale; the guitar or keyboard player

Riveting.

By the way, if anyone wants my copy, it's available, mint condition, $5.

Zod

General Zod said:
My thoughts exactly.
Mine too. It is their willingness to be gay that makes them great. This whole hate and aggression thing always struck me as rather lame. Stride strives to be melodic - even in their noodling.

Joe

Joe-× said:
Mine too. It is their willingness to be gay that makes them great. This whole hate and aggression thing always struck me as rather lame. Stride strives to be melodic - even in their noodling.
Stride is quite good at what they do. Just not my cup of tea.

Zod

Hey Zod...

I was just wondering if you'd like to help out sponsoring a Stride & Pain of Salvation concert... what do you say? LMAO

Sounded like Christian revival music to me; light and creepy. I prefer some kind of metal attitude in my "metal", particularly when they are asked to play at a show where part of the name is "power". Take Tiamat, for instance. They are a more mellow style, but there is metal all over their stuff.

Well, for what it's worth, I'll toss up the sign for STRIDE. I was first exposed to their music on the sampler disc from last year and I absolutely loved it, especially the "IMAGINE" track ... wow!

It cannot possibly be an easy task to open a festival like the illustrious PP and I thought that Stride did an utterly amazing job. The band had gallons of on-stage energy, their sound was super-tight and I liked every song I heard. Off-stage, the band proved themselves worthy of fanship, thanking all the fans that came to their table which made me feel very appreciated.

So I'll continue to support this band, I feel that they've earned it.

General Zod said:
LOL. Actually, I respect what both bands do, they're just not my cup of tea.

Zod

Good example: To me this is the proper and cool way to say something about a band you dont care for rather than bashing into them, thats not cool. I am sure they read the boards and no one likes reading something awful about things they work hard at.
WKD