Your bridge to metal

Mar 1, 2009
Extreme metal and all genres branching from it are not known for their accessibility. We all probably grew up listening to the shit our parents force fed us up to a point. There is always that "one" band that helped to bridge you into listening to what you do now.

I remember when I was 10. My brother and I were at Wal-mart checking out the rock section probably looking for the next Hanson album when I noticed a disk that stood out. It had a brain attached to a spinal column and looked very out of place amongst the other shite being sold there. The letters spelling the album name had strange symbols. It was Fear Factory's 'Obsolete'. My brother stupidly told me that the middle 'o' was the sign of the devil. My mom's wouldn't buy it for me because of this so my brother and I went half and bought it. From then on: :headbang:

What band or album bridged you in?

We all probably grew up listening to the shit our parents force fed us up to a point.

Well, as a toddler, my brother's Kiss records and Iron Maiden - Killers record really looked nifty and colorful and interesting to me. So, from about age 3 to 5 (until I started kindergarten) I would spend my carefree days listening to those. That's what started it all. I had the turntable and cassette player all figured out by age 3, I was an awesome baby. Also during that time period I acquired my own Kiss cassette tape (Dynasty), as well as some Stryper tape and the Return of the Living Dead soundtrack. My brother stole my Kiss tape and Stryper tape and I've yet to get them back twenty something years later :mad:

Matthew do you remember Kamelot Music at the Irving Mall? It may have closed before you were born, not sure. Awesome store though. It smelled like fresh cassette tapes. I miss that smell haha. When I picked out my Return of the Living Dead soundtrack I remember the clerk trying to persuade me to get a Bangles tape instead :lol:

My bridge to metal was paved with the bones of virgins and surrounded by volcanos spewing torrents of grog.

When I was 4 or 5 I started with Kiss (in 1975-76) and it's been on ever since. Our next door neighbor had teenage sons who babysat me a lot and they played Kiss all the time. It's the first music I remember. As I got older I remember my dad playing Buddy Holly and The Ventures a lot, but Kiss is what started music for me.

Iron Maiden - Seventh Son Of A Seventh Son. I was flicking through my dad's vinyl collection, and saw this:

Seventh-Son-Of-A-Seventh-Son.jpg

- I had to hear what was contained within such a kick-ass sleeve. Needless to say, I wasn't disappointed.

Because of my age I was a perfect candidate for the now classic Nu-metal ----> real metal transition. Started with the bands like Disturbed, Slipknot, Mudvayne, system of a down, Coal Chamber, Godsnmack....so on and so forth. From there I just kept looking for better stuff and eventually started listening to a lot of the really well known stuff. Got into thrash first with big 4 thrash bands along with old Sepultura and then started listening to Priest and Maiden and a lot of funderground bands on the bigger labels like Century Media and Nuclear Blast. I started posting on UM in '05 and got into the more extreme obscure stuff from there.

Because of my age I was a perfect candidate for the now classic Nu-metal ----> real metal transition. Started with the bands like Disturbed, Slipknot, Mudvayne, system of a down, Coal Chamber, Godsmack....so on and so forth. From there I just kept looking for better stuff and eventually started listening to a lot of the really well known stuff. Got into thrash first with big 4 thrash bands along with old Sepultura and then started listening to Priest and Maiden and a lot of funderground bands on the bigger labels like Century Media and Nuclear Blast. I started posting on UM in '05 and got into the more extreme obscure stuff from there.

Since I was around 10 I have always been really into heavy music and was always looking for cooler heavier stuff. It has been a steady progression and a pretty interesting one to look back on. I always find it kinda funny and frustrating to look at a lot of people I know that are into heavy music and note that they are were I was back in Middle school. It seems a lot of people just sorta stop at a point and stop looking deeper. I always wish I had gotten into the stuff I dig now when I was younger because now I always feel like I am playing catch up, but at the same time if I did I would not be able to look back and my steady progression over the years.

As a corollary to the original thread topic, how many people have found themselves moving from 'all metal, all the time' to including other styles of music in their listening timetable - and was there a way that metal bridged you into those genres?

Personally, I took more of an interest in punk music after hearing Hatebreed, 70s prog after hearing Opeth, indie/shoegaze after hearing Katatonia's Last Fair Deal Gone Down, that sort of thing.

Saw Satyricon's 'Mother North' music video; the part where the guy smashes a cross with an axe was so badass. And it had a naked lady in it.