Your bridge to metal

Stuff like Tool and System of a Down led me to metal. I remember one time doing a search for bands that had similarities to Tool, and Opeth came up for whatever reason. But I think by that point I already listened to Metallica and Sabbath 'cause of a guy I went to high school with.

As a corollary to the original thread topic, how many people have found themselves moving from 'all metal, all the time' to including other styles of music in their listening timetable - and was there a way that metal bridged you into those genres?

Yeah, totally. Metal led me to this forum, which led me to all the proto-metal, doom-rock, prog rock, folk-psych, etc. Getting into Comus was a big step towards all the other folky stuff. Altogether metal played a huge role preparing me for other types of music in that it got me used to less commercial-sounding music.

As a corollary to the original thread topic, how many people have found themselves moving from 'all metal, all the time' to including other styles of music in their listening timetable - and was there a way that metal bridged you into those genres?

Comus, definitely, and definitely NOT because of Akerfeldt :lol:

but previously to getting into the whole 70s psych shit I was already heavily into ancient/baroque/classical music, dark ambient and some heavenly/world music. In a way those genres are much more related to metal in terms of the emotional spectrum I was seeking in them. That is not the case anymore for classical music, meaning I've moved beyond the occasional Requiem by now :lol:

oh and :lol: