Your most dissapointing follow-up albums

ratanda

Sep 8, 2003
Atlanta
Albums you were really looking forward to being released because you loved the last/(current at the time) one so much. Then you heard it and were not pleased or were not impressed.

Kreator - Renewal
Anthrax - State of Euphoria
Entombed - Clandestine
My Dying Bride - 34.788% Complete (though I like it much more now)
Megadeth - Countdown To Extinction
Metallica - Metallica
Exodus - Force of Habit
Testament - The Ritual
Blind Guardian - Night at the Opera
Gamma Ray - Powerplant
Carcass - Swansong
Overkill - I Hear Black
Malevolent Creation - Stillborn
Opeth - Blackwater Park

Edguy - Rocket Ride
Edguy - Rocket Ride
Edguy - Rocket Ride
Edguy - Rocket Ride
Edguy - Rocket Ride
Edguy - Rocket Ride
Edguy - Rocket Ride
Edguy - Rocket Ride
Edguy - Rocket Ride
Edguy - Rocket Ride
Edguy - Rocket Ride
Edguy - Rocket Ride

I love half the albums on your list....

Belladonna - Spells of Fear
Iced Earth - Something Wicked
Helloween - Rabbit Don't Come Easy
Running Wild - Masquerade
Ayreon - 0101010
Overkill - Necroshine
Anthrax - Volume 8: The Threat Is Real
Blind Guardian - A Night At The Opera
Brainstorm - Metus Mortis
Cemetary - Phantasma
Dark Tranquillity - Haven
Deicide - Serpents Of The Light
Desultory - Swallow The Snake
Dream Theater - Six Degrees Of Inner Turbulence
The Gathering - How To Measure A Planet?
Hammerfall - Renegade
In Flames - Reroute To Remain
Iron Maiden - Dance Of Death
Iron Savior - Battering Ram
Megadeth - Cryptic Writings
Mercyful Fate - Dead Again
Metal Church - Masterpeace
Metalica - Black Album
Morbid Angel - Entangled In Chaos
Napalm Death - Inside The Torn Apart
Opeth - Still Life
Paradise Lost - One Second
Prong - Rude Awakening
Queensryche - Empire
Savatage - Poets And Madmen
Shadow Gallery - Legacy
Slayer - Divine Intervention
Solitude Aeturnus - Adagio
Stratovarius - Infinite
Type O Negative - October Rust
Virgin Steele - Visions Of Eden

Ha .. that's funny ... I liked Rocket Ride better than Hellfire Club.

Here's a few that I was disappointed in after loving the predecessor were:

Twilight Guardians - Ghost Reborn .... very mediocre compared to Sintrade

Blind Guardian - A Night At The Opera .... weak release after the stellar Nightfall In Middle Earth

Queensryche - HITNF .... stripped down garbage after the excellent Promised Land

Deadsoul Tribe - The Dead Word .... couldn't get into this one after absolutely loving A Murder Of Crows

DGM - Misplaced .... hated this one after having Hidden Place as my #2 of 2003

Edguy - Hellfire Club .... a shiteater compared to Mandrake

Evergrey - Monday Morning Apocalypse .... dreadful change for the worse after the solid The Inner Circle

King Diamond - Abigail II: The Revenge .... expected much better from this one. It was a poor followup to House Of God, and was not even close to the excellent Abigail.

Nevermore - Enemies Of Reality .... a big quality dropoff from the excellent Dead Heart In A Dead World ... production killed it, but the songs weren't as strong as usual.

Pyramaze - Legend Of The Bone Carver .... I never took to this boring concept disc after loving the debut.

Rage - Speak Of The Dead .... loved Unity, then Soundchaser ... was bored stiff by this disc.

That's all that struck out to me after going thru my Itunes.

Britt

Wow, there are some incredible albums in these lists. It breaks my heart to see A Night at the Opera on everyone's lists. I get why so many people dislike it, but still, it makes me sad :(

Wow, there are some incredible albums in these lists. It breaks my heart to see A Night at the Opera on everyone's lists. I get why so many people dislike it, but still, it makes me sad :(

Same here. I thought it was a fantastic album. A little different for sure but still great release IMO.

As for couple on my Dissapointing albums list.

Judas Priest- Turbo
Anthrax - Stomp 442
Metallica- Metallica
Mr. Big - (o.k. not a follow up but when I heard Gilbert and Sheehan were putting a band together I was expecting a shred fest. BOY was I ever dissapointed:lol:)

Metallica - Metallica
Judas Priest - Nostradamus
Brainstorm - Downburst
Therion - Gothic Kabbalah
Iced Earth - Framing Armageddon
Stratovarius - Stratovarius
Sonata Arctica - Unia

There is only one answer. Celtic Frost's "Cold Lake" as a follow-up to "Into the Pandemonium." It is impossible to state the precipitous drop this represented. Impossible. Never in the history of rock/metal has such a monstrosity been delivered unto unsuspecting fans.:OMG:

Eventhough I like the album, I have to say my biggest follow up disappointment was Masterplan's Aeronautics after the stellar debut. Those guys just hit a grand slam the first time around and were destined to not live up to it ever again.

~Brian~

It's not a matter of dislike, just a bit of a let down compared to the previous album. I love most of the albums on my list.

Rage - Metus Mortis (or whatever it was). After Soundchaser and Unity I thought these guys could do no wrong, but then they proved they were human and could make a crap album just like anyone else. My cousin and I now refer to bad follow up albums as "Making a Rage." Ha ha. I will say that they have redeemed themselves with "Carved In Stone."

Some others I was disappointed in:
From The Inside - Visions (NOWHERE close to the debut)
Twilightning - (the third one, can't remember the name)
Rob Rock - Holy Hell (But Garden of Chaos RIPS!)
Primal Fear - Seven Seals

There is only one answer. Celtic Frost's "Cold Lake" as a follow-up to "Into the Pandemonium." It is impossible to state the precipitous drop this represented. Impossible. Never in the history of rock/metal has such a monstrosity been delivered unto unsuspecting fans.:OMG:

Dude, "Into The Pandemonium" is one of the best albums EVER made. Following it up with anything would be a let-down. That said, I am in the minority for loving the hell out of "Cold Lake". When I studied for my examns at University, this was the album I listened to all the time. It's such a different album, and it's perfect to have in the background when studying, yet still rockin' out a bit :) There's something about "Downtown Hanoi", "Cherry Orchards", "Roses Without Thorns" and so on, that I just love. I've heard people describe this as a glam/hair metal album, and I can just not understand that description. This is thrash with an avantgarde approach, both lyrically, imagery-wise and the music itself.

c.