Your opinion needed here!

IceDragonX

Schiavo Della Notte
Feb 17, 2003
Visit site
:wave: Im curious and I need everyone's participation. So Ill just start you off on what Im doing exactly. Well, everyone has an opinion on what the "perfect" metal band is. I want to know this opinion and I want you to write out your opinions in the following format if you can, por favor! Everyone is going to have different answers and thats good!! I dont want anyone to feel they have to have the same answers as somebody else. This is based on individuality, Im sure some answers will be the same, and some wont. Thanks a lot! Im getting another board involved with this opinion post too. :Smokedev:

:hotjump:Qualities of a "Perfect Band": :hotjump:

1. Must have a likable style of playing that is easily adaptable to the ears.

2. Must have a singer with a smooth voice and is able to switch vocal ranges from high to low with great timing and accuracy. I personally dont like grundgey voices, but if they do it right, it can be appealing for certain songs. The singer must also have a wide range of vocal ability and great energy on stage. I want to feel the song, not just hear it.

3. All instruments in the group must have some form of sound harmony and not make me feel an instrument is always being left out or set aside for a very breif moment in the song.

4. Must have a strong beat that carries the song well. Aka, a damn good drummer!

5. Some form of technicality and interesting shifts in the song that keep you enjoying it over and over again. And hopefully they have SOME FORM OF DAMN SKILL!

6. Able to put as much emotion and flavor into hard songs as well as soft songs.

7. Songs and albums don't always sound quite the same each time they create them.

8. They improve on their style and performance each time.

9. Their good albums far out-weigh their bad albums. Lets face it, you are not going to make a perfect album each time.

10. Have great knowledge in music theory and it shows through their music.

11. The band must have personality in their music. Which basically means something that really gets into the song and makes me want to move a little to it.

12. The band must have good personalities on and off the set and be interactive with their fans. If they are cold to their fans or talk shit towards other bands or band members for no reason. They are not noted very high in my book.

13. The band must NOT ever try to ride on a certain album success for years on end. What I basically mean is, to not keep playing the same damn tune that spawned their success in the first place.

14. The music must have some effect of emotion on me...excitement..sadness..fear...(whatever the case is).

15. High Technicality is a big Plus, but is not always necessary to make good music though. :heh:

16. Originality is a major Plus!! :headbang: Its hard to be original, but when a band is original or pulls of something very unique, its great! AKA: ARK's Torn is one of my favorite examples. The middle part where his voice is mixed up....is amazing.

17. If they can blow me away, that is a huge plus! :devil: Not many bands have blown me away. But some have really left me speechless with amazement at how good they were. Of course that task is always easier said than done, so I dont always expect it. It doesnt mean they have to be hardcore or super fast. It can be something very beautiful and soft too...I know "You are My Heart" from Artension sounds very, very nice.

18. If the band can make you drift away in their song into another world within the created universe of the cd...then that is defintly an awesome band. :worship: This is a slightly different explanation from 17. I know it sounds the same, but its not. 17 is more of the "wow" factor. 18 is more of a "dreamy" factor. Which is also very hard to do, but it does happen. Very few band's have also put me there too....I love a lot of bands, but every band has its good and bad points.

Favorite type of Metal: Progressive Metal

Reason: I love the technicality that is involved with progressive metal. The bands in these categories are amazing and they produce really interesting music from their own individual styles. I just really enjoy how they handle music, its hard to get tired of a progressive song. I especially love it with prog metal is very symphony like or dramatic. There is so much to pay attention to! The more complicated, the better!

You can make this as big or as small as you want. As long as you follow the format some how. Forgot to add that in...oops.

Sercret Sphere really got me and I think they capture all that you are asking for. Category 18 has to go to Hollow with their Architect of the Mind. I haven't found another band that could compare as yet.

In no particular order:

1 - Dio-era Black Sabbath
2 - Vintage Iron Maiden, i.e. 'Piece Of Mind', 'Number Of The Beast'
3 - Savatage, up through 'Streets'
4 - Mercyful Fate from inception through 'Don't Break The Oath'
5 - 'Keepers' era Helloween

And no, I'm not 40 years old....

Demonspell said:
Excellent post and all of those qualities are something I value greatly in music, but for me there is no such thing as a perfect band. Nobody is above criticism.

Oh of course not, if there was such a perfect band, then everyone would be listening to them and nobody else. Im just saying that there are certain characteristics that make a band popular or appealing to a mass majority.

Can anybody give their opinion on anything that they hate about a band??? Or bad characteristics of one???

And ProgMetalFan, I do like evergrey, but they dont make it with quality number 3 in my opinion. It seems the songs I have heard so far (and I havent heard enough, so this is just based on a poor analysis) mostly just emphasis on guitar and drums. They make me feel they have a keyboarder just to take a breather from shredding the hell out of the guitar. I mean the perfect example is the video on this site. I didnt even know they had a keyboarder til a light shined on him and he played for his brief moment while everyone was drinking water and taking a rest. Stuff like that bothers me, I like it when all instruments are used to their full potential.

IceDragonX said:
1. Must have a likable style of playing that is easily adaptable to the ears.

I would disagree with this. It's when a band is playing something completely alien to you that you don't understand at first that things really change for you as a listener.

IceDragonX said:
12. The band must have good personalities on and off the set and be interactive with their fans. If they are cold to their fans or talk shit towards other bands or band members for no reason. They are not noted very high in my book.

Who the hell cares? As long as they are honest dicks and not two-faced dicks, then it doesn't matter to me how they think of their fans. To me the 'perfect artist' doesn't care about his fans and has no problem telling them that. :D But reasonably, all we should expect is that a musician puts 100% into his work, whether in the studio or onstage, in exchange for our money. Anything more is our own ego getting the better of us.

I kind of care about the personality thing because, if I politely asked for an autograph and that person tells me Screw you and not to talk to him. You bet Im not going to buy his work ever again. Im not expecting him to be overly friendly or my best friend. But I at least would like some form of kindness. I mean your fans are your fame, and if you are a jerk to your fans than you bet you are going to have less money in your pocket. You gain more flies with honey than vinegar. ;)

Bear said:
Or Symphony X !
headbob.gif

Bear

OR??? no, sounds just like "Symphony X..":D

Mephistopheles said:
Just curious, what is the reason you are looking for these bands? anything beyond: I just want to find some really excelent music?

You know I know a guy that does not like symphony x. He said the singer sounds like Mike Tyson. Im like...wha? And this dude loves evergrey too. Which really doesnt make me understand what the hell he is talking about. Russell Allen sounds more like the singer from evergrey then he does anyone else. Damn...LOL. I don't know where the hell he got that idea from!

And Mephistopheles, Im just extremely curious about what people think makes a band is successful and "perfect" in their own way. It has nothing to do with finding really good music actually. It has more to do with the fact that:

1. I just want a conversation going that everyone can participate in easily.

2. I just want everyone's individual opinion on what they think about this subject.

I really enjoy seeing everyone show a difference in opinion such as Jim, which doesnt seem to care about personality, while others may consider that very heavily. Its just something interesting for me to think about! And if good music is referred to me, that is always a plus! :headbang:

I'll throw my 2 cents in: My perfect bands are ones that:

1. Enforce harmony and melody (generally happy) above all else!!! Technique is secondary behind a great singing line.
2. Have a singer with a big range and ability to switch between aggressive to "softer" singing easily.
3. Can switch smoothly between genres of music. The power-ballad followed by the speedfest followed by the arena anthem!

Favorite bands: Freedom Call, Heavenly, Danger Danger, Bonfire, Cheap Trick.

Other bands I like: Supreme Majesty, Dream Evil, Helloween, Edguy, Def Leppard, Ozzy...many many others!

Alejo FRV said:
I like a lot.. but in my opinion those set the standards hehehe.. but as I said.. if I made a list of good bands.. it will take me more than a day

I hear ya on that, there are a lot of good bands, but only a few really really give a lasting impression.

But Ill go check those out, thanks!

The main thing, IMO, is a great melody (doesn't need to be vocal...)
When a band manages to create great melodies being musically interesting is just perfect.. =)

That's why I like Angels Cry and Holy Land (Angra's First 2 albuns) so much... I mean, they are really unique... They are complex, but doesn't sound like a show off..
They are catchy, but not cheesy... :)

Angra sucks! Angra are the fuckin Aquaman of bands. They are wimpy with the occasional exception, like "speed".
try these superheroes- Spiral Achitect, Vision Divine, and of course ZERO "f**kin" HOUR (hello!) !!!