Zak era Savatage

W.M.D.

Feb 10, 2004
What songs does everyone hope to hear from Savatage.

They are our headliner, let's see who can come up with the best Zak era set list. I'm assuming Zak will do most of the singing since he did most of the vocals when he was in the band previously.

This would include the Cds "The Edge Of Thorns" "Handful Of Rain" "Dead Winter Dead" and the "Wake Of Magellan" If you don't have any of these cds i HIGHLY recommend you get them if you truly want to get the full experience.

My List (from the first cd till the last):

"Carves His Stone"
"Lites Out"
"Miles Away"
"Damien"
"Edge Of Thorns"
:Smokin:

"Handful Of Rain"
"Taughting Cobras"
"Watching You Fall"
"Chance"
"Castle's Burning"
:hotjump:

"Dead Winter Dead"
"Starlight"
"One Child"
:headbang:

"Turns To Me"
"Hour Glass"
"Any More"
"Wake Of Megellan"
:worship:

I'm starting to wonder if the new Savatage vocalist will ever appear on a new studio Savatage CD with all the other side projects Jon and Chris Cafferty are involved in. I'm thrilled to see Zac again for an event like this (and wish he had never left the band in the first place). But I'm equally anxious to find out how (if) Damond will influence the sound on the next Savatage studio release. I was really impressed with Damond at The House of Blues in Chicago (about 3 years ago). Maybe he can do a side project of his own while the other Savatage members work on their side projects.

The Fiddler said:
I'm starting to wonder if the new Savatage vocalist will ever appear on a new studio Savatage CD with all the other side projects Jon and Chris Cafferty are involved in. I'm thrilled to see Zac again for an event like this (and wish he had never left the band in the first place). But I'm equally anxious to find out how (if) Damond will influence the sound on the next Savatage studio release. I was really impressed with Damond at The House of Blues in Chicago (about 3 years ago). Maybe he can do a side project of his own while the other Savatage members work on their side projects.

Actually Damond is in a project called Diet of Worms...

Joy

I saw Zak, Chris, Jon, Dr. Killdrums, and Johnny Lee at the Criss Oliva Memorial Concert and it was awesome... It's very hard to pick songs when I'd really love to hear ALL of them, but if push came to shove...

Songs I'd like to hear (whether Zak or Jon sings):

Hall of the Mountain King
Temptation Revelation
Gutter Ballet
When the Crowds are Gone
Jesus Saves (Zak sang this when he was with Savatage instead of Jon or at the least he did on the video I have)
Can You Hear Me Now
Believe
Miles Away
Edge of Thorns
He Carves His Stone
Handful of Rain
Chance
Dead Winter Dead
Welcome (WoM)
Hourglass
Commissar
Morhine Child
Stay With Me Awhile
There In The Silence
Awaken

I know I'm missing some but...

Joy

High Speed Kurt said:
who's playing bass at progpower?

Kevin Rothney from Jon Oliva's Tage Mahall will be playing, maybe Johnny just cannot be there for some reason.......no idea, all I know is Kevin will play the bass for this "Savatage - all - star - event"

I hope they don't go with a completely "balls and chunk" setlist, as my favorite Sava tunes are those with more melody and breathing room.

|| Edge of Thorns ||
"Edge of Thorns"
"All That I Bleed"
"Coversation Piece"
"Sleep"

|| Handful of Rain ||
"Handful of Rain"
"Chance"
"Alone You Breathe"

|| Dead Winter Dead ||
"This Isn't What We Meant"
"One Child"
"Not What You See"

|| Wake of Magellan ||
"The Wake of Magellan"
"Anymore"
"The Hourglass"

-matt
np: Angel Dust - The One You Are

Well I for one sure hope they don't ignore their earlier material. I know Jon Oliva doesn't handle lead vocals much for Sava anymore, but I sure hope he steps up and takes the mic for at least 1/3 their set. Those early songs are simply not the same without his trademark voice.

markgugs said:
Well I for one sure hope they don't ignore their earlier material. I know Jon Oliva doesn't handle lead vocals much for Sava anymore, but I sure hope he steps up and takes the mic for at least 1/3 their set. Those early songs are simply not the same without his trademark voice.

no worries, Jon's vox is currently in the best shape it has ever been since the "Hall Of The Mountain King" - tour.
I heard him two times live on stage last year, one show was the Criss Oliva memorial where he sang for hours in a row (with Dr Butcher, then with his Solo Band and finally with Savatage) and once even sitting right next to me and singing some of his new tunes to give me an idea of what they sound like.......just awesome, wait and see :).

markgugs said:

Agreed. I prefer Savatage's material with Jon Oliva. Nothing against Zak, the guy's got an immense voice and is one of the best metal frontmen I have ever seen, but I just couldn't get into their concept album phase.

SavaHexe said:
Kevin Rothney from Jon Oliva's Tage Mahall will be playing, maybe Johnny just cannot be there for some reason.......no idea, all I know is Kevin will play the bass for this "Savatage - all - star - event"
This is pure speculation (or wishful thinking) on my part, but is it possible that Johnny's absence at ProgPower has anything to do with a potential Trans-Siberian Orchestra tour?

Al Pitrelli said at the show here in December that they were coming back sometime this year (probably summer) for the non-Christmas tour (although he said that at the 2002 TSO Christmas show, as well).

James said:
This is pure speculation (or wishful thinking) on my part, but is it possible that Johnny's absence at ProgPower has anything to do with a potential Trans-Siberian Orchestra tour?

Al Pitrelli said at the show here in December that they were coming back sometime this year (probably summer) for the non-Christmas tour (although he said that at the 2002 TSO Christmas show, as well).

The West Group didn't make it clear that the Beethovan tour is set for Spring/Summer 2005. Chris Caffery made the year clear on the East side. And Paul O'Neill and Bob Kinkel both verified that the year is 2005 not 2004 for that...

I think that this show is just something those guys just wanted to do.

Damond Ninjya ?, Al pitrelli and Jeff Plate are also in Savatage but won't be attending.

Like it says in the press statement it's "members" of Savatage,.. not just Savatage.

Oliva said it's hard getting everyone's schedules together, especially with all the side projects, current Savatage and Zak's band, etc. Which shows how rare this show really is.

They are a very busy bunch of musicians, between Jon's solo record 2004, Caffery's Solo record 2004, Zak's Solo record 2004, Savatage's next record 2005 and the next TSO 2005 your talking 5 full blown record releases in the next 2 years!!

Talent like that doesn't come along everyday i'm just glad we get to see the show not the europeans...hehe