Attic space as an amp recording room

drew_drummer

Dancefap
Sep 7, 2008
London, UK
Hey,

I've just been mulling on this. Basically at the moment I have my amp and cab next to me, and the cab is covered in a few blankets. It gets me really good results actually... but what I'm wondering is if I can do this:

Put my 2x12cab in my attic. Mic it up.
Run cables down to my interface.

But I cannot put my amp in the attic. I need it for gigs, and fuck if I'm moving it up and down from the attic constantly!!

So I'm really just wondering how long a speaker cable I can use to connect the head to the cab, or if I need an extra bit of equipment to get this to work. The attic is right above me, so the cable doesn't need to be massive, but it does need to be long. I'd estimate about 18ft.

Can a speaker cable go that far without fucking my amp up?

one question though: do you really want to climb up there and tweak mic positions all the time? :D

Idea is I just do it once, and leave it until rats chew through the cables!

It's only for basic demo stuff at home. I've got the best positions for each mic marked up on the tolex, and they generally stay there. Moving it into the attic would also allow me to record a bit later at night - The downstairs neighbour is a super swell guy (tm) but I do have to stop recording at 22:00.

Yeah but it's further away from the neighbour, separated by 10foot of air, and with a blanket thrown over the cab like it is now, should be a lot quieter for him. I reckon it will be a definite advantage over what I'm doing right now. Even right now I'm getting releasable tones.