Bands you are 'into' because of PP XIV

lane_miller

Space Ghost
Aug 31, 2008
Near Raleigh, NC
Every Prog Power, I learn to love a few bands that I either didn't know about at all or had limited exposure to.

This year I am really digging WOLVERINE. I had Communication Lost, but never really gave it a serious listen. Now, I am totally hooked and have been digging into their previous releases. Their ultra moody, sophisticated, and unique style leaves melodies and riffs reverberating throughout my head all day long. Can't wait to see WOLVERINE live.

Another band that I am totally into now is SOILWORK. I had obviously heard of them before, but I typically don't get in to harsh vocals. SOILWORK is now an exception for me in this regard. The combination of harsh singing, soaring clean chorus melodies, and chunky guitar really does it for me.

What bands have you learned to like because of PPIV?

I've always liked what I've heard from Armored Saint but never really investigated deeply and am really loving and looking forward to their set.

Most of the other bands I either know of, like but am not enamored with or am not a fan.

Sadly, the only other band I would have put in this category is Reinxeed.

This year, no one. I was already well versed in everyone that's coming (that I like, at any rate), which was a shocking first for me.

Yeah, Damnation Angels here as well, tho I do want to track down the new Xandria at some point. (I have Ravenheart, but the seem to be very different now.)

I did find the first Wolf CD used, but so far I'm not digging it all that much.

Wolf, for sure. Didn't like them upon first listen, but as their stuff has crept into my playlist, I am really looking forward to them now. Also, Divinity Compromised is new to me and I like what I hear. I was familiar with just about all of the other bands for this year, which is rare for me...

Xandria was mine this year. I had heard the single and wasn't that impressed, but I went in for the whole album based on the invite and I was extremely impressed. "Valentine" still isn't my favorite song on the album, frankly, if I had only heard that one, I never would have listened to the rest of the album.

Progpower is the reason I LOVE Pain of Salvation. Progpower V was my first PP ever and the first song I ever heard from Pain of Salvation was Undertow played live. They started playing a couple of seconds before the curtain opened, and once opened it was just Daniel in white playing and singing before the rest of band kicked in. Very magical.

Edit: AAAAND I just noticed this is about Progpower XIV

(Note to self: Learn how to fucking read....)