Any Bands you have done a complete 180 on?

Aug 6, 2003
Sandy Eggo
Visit site
So are there any bands out there that you really truly hated, but now really love their stuff? I am not talking about a band that you thought were ok, or could not really get into, but a band you strongly disliked. For example I have come around on a few bands whose earlier stuff I thought were uninspired after a new good release, but that is not the same.

I guess you could go the other way, though I would rather this thread not turn into a "dump on certain bands" thread. But if you do go from positive to negative, don't make it a band that you are not that into anymore, or just put out sub-par release, make it a band that went so wrong that it actually changed entire outlook on the band. For example, I don't really like much Metallica after AJFA (except for parts of Death magnetic), but that hardly made me hate them, I just don't really dig them much anymore.

For a long time I hated Trivium with a passion. But then after my office-mate playing Shogun a few times they started to grow on me. Now I'm pretty well pleased with them, but I wouldn't really call myself a huge fan. Considering how much I hated them, though, the fact that I'll give them money now is rather remarkable.

Closest thing to this is Accept. I really couldn't deal with Accept until Tornillo entered the band.

For some reason, once I got Blood of the Nations I went back and all of a sudden "got it."

Divine Heresy is one that comes to mind. Back in 2007 I saw them open for 3 Inches of Blood and I hated them. However, I was curious as to how they sounded on cd, so I gave them a serious listen and before long I got hugely into them.

Kamelot is another one. It was actually their bullshit radio edits that initially kept me from their music. I heard march of mephisto and the haunting and I didn't think it was anything spectacular. I thought the vocals were okay but what really turned me off was the lack of instrumental talent, or at least that's what said bullshit radio edits made me think. On a whim I checked out a live video of Forever and that changed my opinion of them, not only because of the killer solos but because of how great Khan's voice was live!

Hmmmm.....

Probably the best example, Rammstein. I remember when they first came out, I thought it sounded like boring fake electronic music. Then, I recently had a friend playing their stuff while at his house. So he popped in the Live Aus Berlin dvd, and I thought it was bitchin! ESPECIALLY the fire!

When I was young...and stupid. I hated Evergrey. A couple years after that something clicked and now they're one of my top 3 favorite bands of all time.

Megadeth, and for stupid reasons. I hated Megadeth because I was such a big fan of Metallica as a kid, and I saw the Behind the Music where it talked about them kicking Mustaine out of the band because he was a drunk asshole. It was then that I kinda took on a "fuck Megadeth" attitude, without really ever listening to the music.

It was years later that I realized that 1) not only is Mustaine responsible for the best Metallica riffs and songs, but 2) Megadeth's first five albums are unstoppable thrash classics that are as good (if not better) than Metallica's first five albums.

Mustaine is still an asshole (in my opinion), but he is an unmitigated riff monster, and a hell of a guitar player who has managed to surround himself with other amazing players. So there ya go.

When I was young...and stupid. I hated Evergrey. A couple years after that something clicked and now they're one of my top 3 favorite bands of all time.

You were young and stupid for a much shorter period than normal!

Now that you mention it I had some serious issues with Evergrey for a few years as well. I've definitely amended that.

Kid Rock - I used to despise him. I couldn't stand rap rock in general and him in particular. I thought he was the worst of the worst making hits out of samples thinking that meant no musical talent, and using his name in just about every song. Then I saw him live and was blown away. His cheap ticket thing and charity work now make me see more than an arrogent asshole too. I now think he puts on one of the best live shows out there and think he has some great songs, although I still don't listen to his CDs that often.

Threshold and Wolverine, both of which I've talked about in the past. I hated Psychedelicatessen back when the Ytse folks were first talking about it - and I still hate it - but I wrote Threshold off for at least ten years because of it. I finally gave them a chance again with the Ravages of Time best of, and did a 180. I prefer Mac at the helm, but I'm okay with the newer stuff with Damian.

My first exposure to Wolverine was Cold Light of Monday, which I didn't like at all, and still don't, so I ignored Still, but Communication Lost completely won me over, and I finally gave Still a chance too.

Megadeth, and for stupid reasons. I hated Megadeth because I was such a big fan of Metallica as a kid, and I saw the Behind the Music where it talked about them kicking Mustaine out of the band because he was a drunk asshole. It was then that I kinda took on a "fuck Megadeth" attitude, without really ever listening to the music.

It was years later that I realized that 1) not only is Mustaine responsible for the best Metallica riffs and songs, but 2) Megadeth's first five albums are unstoppable thrash classics that are as good (if not better) than Metallica's first five albums.

Mustaine is still an asshole (in my opinion), but he is an unmitigated riff monster, and a hell of a guitar player who has managed to surround himself with other amazing players. So there ya go.

Haha Megadeth was also a 180 for me actually, but in the opposite direction. In my kid years and early teens I used to love them, but years later after playing Rust in Peace on Rock Band in full one drunken evening, it made me realize how much I despised that record (80 solos per song, throwaway songs that never stuck out, few cool riffs here and there drowned out by forgettable ones), and then how much I started to not like the band altogether sans for a few tracks off of Peace Sells and KIMB.

Aww, man. Not even Countdown? That album is amazing! Everything in the Marty years is fantastic in my opinion. Which has a lot more to do with the Dave/Dave/Marty/Nick lineup of yore than Mustaine himself if you ask me.

I actually agree with Aeonic. I used to love Megadeth when I first got into metal but now I think they are shit, even the 'classic' records and wouldn't be upset if I never heard another song by them in my life.

The only band that comes to mind is SAXON. Not because I hated them, but I never gave them a chance. And now their in my top 5. So looking forward to seeing live in Milwaukee.

Fear Factory is one that comes to mind,like a lot of their stuff now
also Amon Amarth,although that is due to the fact I hated death metal for many many years.it's only been within the last 2 or 3 years that I started listening to it and have found many bands I keep in rotation frequently now.

Delain. I was not impressed by the limited amount I heard from April Rain. The cover photo didn't help. As a result, I blew off their PP performance to power nap and watch Bama beat up on Penn St. Then when We Are the Others came out, I couldn't stop listening to it.