Bands you should like....but don't?

spag

I am a leaf on the wind
Sep 18, 2006
Everywhere and nowhere
I for example, can't get into Pagan's Mind. I know, they're great. Given the other music I listen to, I always see them come up in comparisons, or have people mention them to me as "you should really check them out", or "give them another listen", and I do. Still can't get into them.

Any bands that you should like, but don't?

Easy choice .... Redemption. I like a lot of prog band bands, but have never really been able to get into them. I'm not a big fan of Ray's vocals these days, and until the last disc it always seemed like he was just reading his lryrics from a sheet. As I do with all of their discs I will give the new one a chance.

Britt

Sticking to ProgPower bands, Brainstorm. Nothing I've heard of theirs actually has grabbed me in, and they got one of the best responses when announced at the video last year. Oh well.

Interesting thread...

For me it is Symphony X.
Not that I dislike them, not at all.
I just can't see what so many of my friends see in them. I have really tried to like them. Been to 4 shows, bought 5 of their albums... I just don't get it I guess.

Savatage... I know that's blasphemy, but I just never got into them. I like TSO and to some extent JOP (which I know both are spinoffs of Savatage), but except few songs I have never gotten into them.

Iced Earth is another band that I just never got into. I appreciate them as a band, but just could not get into them.

Edit: Fates Warning... tried to get into them trying to prepare for the show... except for some songs on FWX, just didn't care for them.

Sticking to ProgPower bands, Brainstorm. Nothing I've heard of theirs actually has grabbed me in, and they got one of the best responses when announced at the video last year. Oh well.

I'd have to TOTALLY agree. I love power metal, I like most Thrash metal, but Brainstorm just doesn't click with me. All the right ingredients are there, just don't like the final taste.

Primal Fear and (going back to the 80's and hair metal days) AC/DC.

I know that AC/DC and old Def Leppard sound remarkably similar, but in spite of loving Def Lep, I HATE AC/DC.

Ralf Scheepers vocals are like nails on a chalkboard for me, so Primal Fear (and early Gamma Ray) fall into the same bucket.

I "should" like Into Eternity, Iced Earth, Opeth, and Andromeda given some other bands I like, but I think all of the aforementioned suck. Some people think it's weird that I consider Dark Tranquillity the cream of the death metal crop, but I dislike In Flames and can't stand Soilwork. Also: I like a ton of thrash metal bands, but not Slayer. And perhaps most blasphemous of all, I enjoy Rancid more than The Clash. *ducks*

I for example, can't get into Pagan's Mind. I know, they're great. Given the other music I listen to, I always see them come up in comparisons, or have people mention them to me as "you should really check them out", or "give them another listen", and I do. Still can't get into them.

I am the same way, except that I really like their live show.

Circus Maximus goes in this category for me as well. I know they're great live, but I just can't get into their music.

I think the question is kind of ambiguous, why I SHOULD like any band? Taste is a matter personal matter, just because I like power metal doesn't mean I should like all power metal bands. So here's a lists of bands many have regarded as good, great or sacred cows and I haven't/couldn't get into them:

Accept/U.D.O
Mercyful Fate/King Diamond
Nevermore
Slayer
Pagan's Mind
Vanden Plas
Tad Morose
Brainstorm
Stratovarius
Sonata Arctica
Rhapsody (Of Fire)
Agent Steel
Prototype
Artillery
The Sword
Evergrey
Sleep
Fates Warning
Symphony X
The Gathering
The Cult
Motley Crue
Queensryche
Manowar
Van Halen
Led Zeppelin
AC/DC
Pyramaze
Iced Earth (I like just two albums)
Symphorce
Sieges Even
Vision Divine
Virgin Steele
Dragonforce
New Eden
Kyuss
Orange Goblin
Twisted Sister
Dokken
KISS
Black Label Society

and all black/death/melodic death bands

quite a broad spectra isn't it? :D

I think the question is kind of ambiguous, why I SHOULD like any band? Taste is a matter personal matter, just because I like power metal doesn't mean I should like all power metal bands. So here's a lists of bands many have regarded as good, great or sacred cows and I haven't/couldn't get into them:

Accept/U.D.O
Mercyful Fate/King Diamond
Nevermore
Slayer
Pagan's Mind
Vanden Plas
Tad Morose
Brainstorm
Stratovarius
Sonata Arctica
Rhapsody (Of Fire)
Agent Steel
Prototype
Artillery
The Sword
Evergrey
Sleep
Fates Warning
Symphony X
The Gathering
The Cult
Motley Crue
Queensryche
Manowar
Van Halen
Led Zeppelin
AC/DC
Pyramaze
Iced Earth (I like just two albums)
Symphorce
Sieges Even
Vision Divine
Virgin Steele
Dragonforce
New Eden
Kyuss
Orange Goblin
Twisted Sister
Dokken
KISS
Black Label Society

Man... wouldn't it have been easier to just say "The only band I like is Wolf!"? :heh:

<snip>

I see it more as a band that you should like because of how similar they are to ones you do like.

I like Sonata Arctica. I do not like Stratovarius.

I like a lot of Dream Theater clones. I do not like Dream Theater.

Oooh I like this thread! I always feel bad when a friend is raving about a band that I just can't get into. They get the ol' "smile and nod" from me...

Symphony X
Circle II Circle
Black Sabbath
Metallica
Slayer
Motorhead
Fates Warning
Nightwish
Epica
Sonata Arctica

and probably a few others.

I see it more as a band that you should like because of how similar they are to ones you do like.

I like a lot of Dream Theater clones. I do not like Dream Theater.
I'm with you on this, especially Dream Theater. They have some songs I like, but I'm embarrassed to tell you how many shows I've actually fallen asleep during. There are other bands like that as well - like a few songs, but not the majority. Most recently coming to mind is Fates Warning because I've been listening to them ALL WEEK at work trying to "get it", but on three albums, I really only like maybe five songs. Also in the category is Iced Earth and Blind Guardian. I have my own playlists for each of them with just the songs I like. Oh, I gotta admit, same thing for Savatage.