Biggest Disappointments in Metal History

Oct 5, 2003
Visit site
You know when you look forward to a new album. You can't even wait to get it. You count down the days until it comes out. Next thing you know you put it in your CD player and almost feel violated because of how bad it was.

What are some of these albums for you?

Mine could be:

Metallica - Black Album (probably the biggest disappointment of all time for me)

Sepultura - Chaos A.D. (now I love it but then was sick to my stomache, thought they would go heavier and faster... like Arise but more death metal)

Suffocation - Breeding The Spawn (after Effigy of the Forgotton this was a total piece of garbage with a HORRID production)

Carcass - Swan Song - (,WTF was this)

Celtic Frost - Anything after Omega (No need to explain any further)

Anthrax - SOWN (After a masterpiece like POT, well no need to explain any more you all know how I feel)

Iron Maiden - Fear of the Dark (terrible bruce album, expected a rebound from No Prayer for The Dying, but this was even worse)

I will add a lot more.. these are just a few

You've just added some of my favourite records :lol: like Metallica, Anthrax, Sepultura and well, Maiden too :)

Some of my letdowns:

Iron Maiden: X Factor
Judas Priest: Angel Of Retribution
Ozzy: Down To Earth
...yeah that one and only Celtic Frost song I heard when they went glam...don't recall the name...
when I first heard Never Ending Hill by King Diamond I thought WTF? A cheap Painkiller ripoff?

Shit Anger did not disappoint me because honestly, I was not expecting much, but this one has to be the WORST album in metal history

Anthrax 1: the reunion tour, instead of a follow up to WCFYA, with Bush.*

Anthrax 2: The Dan Nelson thing and the rest of the nonsense going on with the inability to get a new album out with Joey. I mean if we are truly to believe what we were told that the reunion was needed to keep the band in existence, you would think there would have been a new album by now.*

Black Sabbath: not continuing on with the Mob Rules era reunion following Dehumanizer.*

Damageplan: pure garbage. RIP Dime, I miss you. But that band and album was just pure crap.*

Metallica: Load, ReLoad, etc...

Machine Head: Super Charger

Megadeth: Risk

Life of Agony: Soul Searching Sun.*

Korn: Life is Peachy. I actually liked then up until this point.*

Soulfly

I'm sure I'll come up with more...

hmm biggest dissapointment would be ratm follow up,evil empire was fucking terrible,there first record was so damn cool and heavy.
damageplan,was never gonna stand up to pantera but was pretty bad,this coming from a massive dime fan..
slipknot,iowa wasnt too great compared to there 1st one

thats all i can think of really.

Suicidal Tendencies - Freedumb
Iron Maiden - No Prayer for the Dying (It didn't help that it followed Seventh Son)
Danzig - Blackacidevil
Megadeth - Risk

You've just added some of my favourite records :lol: like Metallica, Anthrax, Sepultura and well, Maiden too :)

Some of my letdowns:

Iron Maiden: X Factor
Judas Priest: Angel Of Retribution
Ozzy: Down To Earth
...yeah that one and only Celtic Frost song I heard when they went glam...don't recall the name...
when I first heard Never Ending Hill by King Diamond I thought WTF? A cheap Painkiller ripoff?

Shit Anger did not disappoint me because honestly, I was not expecting much, but this one has to be the WORST album in metal history

Johnnie, you actually would say that Metallica's Black Album is one of your favorite albums ever?

You think Fear of The Dark by Maiden is one of the best albums ever? I didn't expect much out of the X Factor album. When Bruce quit I knew Maiden was fucked.

YIKES! :devil:

St Anger, by far.

No Prayer For The Dying was pretty bad too.

So you really were expecting a good Metallica album when St. Anger came out? I could have told you it would have been terrible the second the released load, then re-load, and then that symphony album. They were destined for failure

Fear of the Dark was a piece of shit compared to 7th Son which was before it. Thats for sure. I just figured they would rebound big time with Fear of The Dark but it was equally as bad imo

Johnnie, you actually would say that Metallica's Black Album is one of your favorite albums ever?

You think Fear of The Dark by Maiden is one of the best albums ever? I didn't expect much out of the X Factor album. When Bruce quit I knew Maiden was fucked.

YIKES! :devil:

I would say that about the Black album.

these are the ones when i really felt betrayed as a record buyer and thought that the bands could have done soo much better:

01) Anthrax 'Volume 8'
02) Anthrax 'We've Come For You All'
03) Anthrax 'Stomp 442'
04) Sepultura 'Line Up-Change -Max Cavalera +Derrick Green & 'Againgst'
05) Sepultura 'Roots'
06) Sepultura 'Roorback'
07) Nevermore 'Enemies Of Reality'
08) M.O.D. 'The Rebel You Love To Hate'
09) Nuclear Assault 'Third World Genocide'
10) Pantera 'The Great Southern Trendkill'
11) Manowar 'Warriors Of The World'
12) Agent Steel 'Omega Conspiracy'
13) Katatonia 'Tonights Decision'
14) Amorphis 'Elegy'
15) Machine Head 'The more things change'
16) Body Count 'Murder 4 Hire'
17) Slipknot 'Iowa'
18) Paradise Lost 'Draconian Times'
19) RATM 'The Battle Of Los Angeles'
20) Korn 'Issues'

these are the ones when i really felt betrayed as a record buyer and thought that the bands could have done soo much better:

10) Pantera 'The Great Southern Trendkill'

Oh my oh my. That is probably my favorite Pantera album. Heavy as fuck. Love that album.

Last edited by a moderator:
Most of these bands have got to that age where they're never going to have any other kind of financially sustaining career, so they HAVE to keep the band going. If they don't pop-out an amazing album 19 years after they were carefree, teenage wannabe-rockstars then maybe it's understandable. The teenage daughter is acting-up, the baby he didn't want anyway is crying all night, the 7-11 want him to do a double shift on Sunday and his band got dropped from Metal Blade because they only sold 7500 copies of the last album. But what choice does he have, the poor prick? He keeps at it, because maybe, one day...etc.

Metallica - St Anger (didn't expect huge things but was extraordinarily dissapointed at just how bad it was.....even when I 'tried' to like it)

Megadeth - Risk

Pearl Jam - Binaural (ok not metal, but was extremely dissed by that record back in the day)

SOD - Bigger Than The Devil (not sure what I expected..... it just could never live up to the legacy that was SEOD..... just got a poor man's Pantera record I felt with comedy....although it did have a few good spots)

Slayer - Divine Intervention (whilst not a bad record, it just never did a lot for me and still doesn't to this day)

Anthrax - basically they've been a basket case for the last 7 years in terms of output

Machine Head - Supercharger

Iron Maiden - Bruce leaving...at the time that was devastating, thank god he came back and they put out BNW and haven't looked back since. Am I the only person in the world to own every IM record except the Bailey ones? I just can't bring myself to listen to them for some reason.

That's about it from me.