Biggest Disappointments in Metal History

Oh my oh my. That is probably my favorite Pantera album. Heavy as fuck. Love that album.

Well, at least we have that in common. Trendkill is my favorite Pantera album too. So fucking dark and heavy. Though I actually didn't like it when it was new...it was one of the first CDs I ever ordered from the Columbia House record club when it was a teenager and I thought they just went heavy for the sake of heavy with no good songs...sold it used at a local record store a few years later like an idiot. A few days after I witnessed Dimebag get murdered at the Alrosa Villa, I made a trip to Circuit City and re-purchased the album (it was the only one I didn't own on CD anymore, aside from having a burned copy from bad quality mp3s) and realized I was a fucking idiot back then and it was flat out their best album.

As far as Metallica's black album, it's easy to rag on it because it wasn't thrash metal like the previous albums...but every fucking song is great, and the production is fantastic. Most people try to blame Bob Rock for the change of direction, but the fact is, the band wrote the songs...before they even hired Bob Rock as their producer. Just listen to the demos that they recorded on their own in the few years before the album was released...clearly the demos were not thrash metal. And if anything those demos were terrible - Bob Rock brought the best out of the songs that the band brought to the table.

As far as MY disappointments, album-wise...

Down - III: Over The Under. There was so much hype surrounding the return of Down...but I wasn't impressed at all. Both Crowbar and COC's last records blew it away and it's really made me resent Down for forcing the other two bands into so much downtime. I love their first two albums.

Brand New Sin - Tequila. I really loved their album "Recipe For Disaster" but thought the album after it called Tequila sucked. Mostly it was the production's fault probably but I can't listen to that album.

Black Label Society - 1919 Eternal. After Sonic Brew and Stronger Than Death it was a huge letdown. Sounds like a bad demo...some of the songs are cool and Zakk was at his creative peak but it all just sounds so unfinished to me. The Blessed Hellride was a step in the right direction, but then he made the same record OVER AND OVER AND OVER AGAIN...progressively worse and worse. And a copy of a copy is not as good as the original.

Chris Cornell - Scream - this is the worst piece of garbage ever recorded by someone whose work I have regarded so highly. I didnt care too much for his previous so album Carry On either, but at least it wasn't a bunch of programmed hip-hop beats with virtually no guitars or real instruments. After this career blunder, the only card left to play was a Soundgarden reunion. I knew that the instant I heard the first single that a Soundgarden reunion would be imminent.

Megadeth - Risk. I was really conflicted with this one...and you know, I actually don't hate it nearly as much in retrospect, now that I know it's NOT the band's current direction. At least it was appropriately titled...a risk the band took.

Helmet - Monochrome. I personally really loved their album Size Matters (though I know some classic Helmet fans didn't like it because it wasn't as simple and to the point as old Helmet was...but I really loved the songwriting and vocal melodies - and John Tempesta is great on it). Then the album after it, Monochrome basically sucked all the way through.

Seemless - What Have We Become. I loved their first self-titled album. The 2nd one bores me.

and Andy Sneap would have made 'Nothing Else Matters' a Thrash-song:lol: "guys you gotta play that f****ng song 10 times faster and James you need a heavier guitar tone."

Well, at least we have that in common. Trendkill is my favorite Pantera album too. So fucking dark and heavy. Though I actually didn't like it when it was new...it was one of the first CDs I ever ordered from the Columbia House record club when it was a teenager and I thought they just went heavy for the sake of heavy with no good songs...sold it used at a local record store a few years later like an idiot. A few days after I witnessed Dimebag get murdered at the Alrosa Villa, I made a trip to Circuit City and re-purchased the album (it was the only one I didn't own on CD anymore, aside from having a burned copy from bad quality mp3s) and realized I was a fucking idiot back then and it was flat out their best album.

As far as Metallica's black album, it's easy to rag on it because it wasn't thrash metal like the previous albums...but every fucking song is great, and the production is fantastic. Most people try to blame Bob Rock for the change of direction, but the fact is, the band wrote the songs...before they even hired Bob Rock as their producer. Just listen to the demos that they recorded on their own in the few years before the album was released...clearly the demos were not thrash metal. And if anything those demos were terrible - Bob Rock brought the best out of the songs that the band brought to the table.

Down - III: Over The Under. There was so much hype surrounding the return of Down...but I wasn't impressed at all. Both Crowbar and COC's last records blew it away and it's really made me resent Down for forcing the other two bands into so much downtime. I love their first two albums.

Brand New Sin - Tequila. I really loved their album "Recipe For Disaster" but thought the album after it called Tequila sucked. Mostly it was the production's fault probably but I can't listen to that album.

Black Label Society - 1919 Eternal. After Sonic Brew and Stronger Than Death it was a huge letdown. Sounds like a bad demo...some of the songs are cool and Zakk was at his creative peak but it all just sounds so unfinished to me. The Blessed Hellride was a step in the right direction, but then he made the same record OVER AND OVER AND OVER AGAIN...progressively worse and worse. And a copy of a copy is not as good as the original.

Chris Cornell - Scream - this is the worst piece of garbage ever recorded by someone whose work I have regarded so highly. I didnt care too much for his previous so album Carry On either, but at least it wasn't a bunch of programmed hip-hop beats with virtually no guitars or real instruments. After this career blunder, the only card left to play was a Soundgarden reunion. I knew that the instant I heard the first single that a Soundgarden reunion would be imminent.

Megadeth - Risk. I was really conflicted with this one...and you know, I actually don't hate it nearly as much in retrospect, now that I know it's NOT the band's current direction. At least it was appropriately titled...a risk the band took.

Helmet - Monochrome. I personally really loved their album Size Matters (though I know some classic Helmet fans didn't like it because it wasn't as simple and to the point as old Helmet was...but I really loved the songwriting and vocal melodies - and John Tempesta is great on it). Then the album after it, Monochrome basically sucked all the way through.

Seemless - What Have We Become. I loved their first self-titled album. The 2nd one bores me.

Funny..... as you posted this I'm listening to Down's live release (actually watching the DVD) and digging it. Didn't mind Over the Under myself.

Good shout on Monochrome. I'm a huge Helmet fan (and yep - Size Matters is a killer record) but Monochrome just plain shat itself didn't it. Fortunately Seeing Eye Dog is a bit of a return to form, although not as good as SM and earlier stuff.

I LOVE Down III - Over the Under. One album that I still listen to all the time and rarely leaves my CD player. I love all of Down's CD's, nothing will touch NOLA to me, but Down III is bad ass imo. Can't wait to see Down live again, Phil is back on his game, Rex should be back. A real roc band that doesn't give a shit. The world needs more bands like them

Hard to say, since both are very different. It sounds definitely better in the first place. Also the songwriting is more complex.

The sound on AJFA is amazing to me, I can see why the musician types would say 'There is no bass, blah blah' but ANJFA is 100 times more musically complex than the Black Album. Whats up with that johnnie? The Black Album even the band themselves say they simplified things. Almost the same drum beat on every song is the same. Very simple guitar riffs etc. Justice was extremely complex.

Do you maybe have these albums mixed up ? :lol:

The sound on AJFA is amazing to me, I can see why the musician types would say 'There is no bass, blah blah' but ANJFA is 100 times more musically complex than the Black Album. Whats up with that johnnie? The Black Album even the band themselves say they simplified things. Almost the same drum beat on every song is the same. Very simple guitar riffs etc. Justice was extremely complex.

I agree that Justice is more complex, but more complex doesn't always automatically mean it's better.

I'm always dying of boredom listening to the long-ass repetitive riffs of Eye Of The Beholder, Frayed Ends Of Sanity and the title track. The fact there is no bass annoys me, I can't stand the sound of the snare and don't even get me started on the terrible drum fills Lars plays. When he simplified his "playing", or lack there of, things definitely got better.

You know when you look forward to a new album. You can't even wait to get it. You count down the days until it comes out. Next thing you know you put it in your CD player and almost feel violated because of how bad it was.

What are some of these albums for you?

Mine could be:

Metallica - Black Album (probably the biggest disappointment of all time for me)

Sepultura - Chaos A.D. (now I love it but then was sick to my stomache, thought they would go heavier and faster... like Arise but more death metal)

Suffocation - Breeding The Spawn (after Effigy of the Forgotton this was a total piece of garbage with a HORRID production)

Carcass - Swan Song - (,WTF was this)

Celtic Frost - Anything after Omega (No need to explain any further)

Anthrax - SOWN (After a masterpiece like POT, well no need to explain any more you all know how I feel)

Iron Maiden - Fear of the Dark (terrible bruce album, expected a rebound from No Prayer for The Dying, but this was even worse)

I will add a lot more.. these are just a few

Once again another post from you that shows how much you missed the point of heavy music in the 90's.

I like the Black Album and No Prayer and Fear Of The Dark, wtf is wrong with you?

Oh my oh my. That is probably my favorite Pantera album. Heavy as fuck. Love that album.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fP2RYxedkuY

My fav too. "Floods" is an amazing tune.

Disappointments:

Megadeth - Risk.
Iron Maiden - Dance of Death.
Metallica - Load.
Ministry - Dark Side of the Spoon.
Machine Head - The Burning Red.
Anthrax - Stomp 442.
Testament - The Formation of Damnation. (Not a bad album but The Gathering was awsome and this one still hasn't grown on me).
Strapping Young Lad - Strapping Young Lad. (Again it was the follow up to an outstanding album).
Therapy? - Infernal Love.
Faith No More - King for a Day, Fool for a Lifetime. (Like mentionend above).
Corrosion of Conformity - Wiseblood.

Funny how many of these also had shitty covers.

So you really were expecting a good Metallica album when St. Anger came out? I could have told you it would have been terrible the second the released load, then re-load, and then that symphony album. They were destined for failure

Yes, I don't really know why, but I was taken in with all the talk about "getting back to thrash roots" before St Anger came out. I had given up on them after Load/Reload, that shitty orchestra album and the Cunning Stunts DVD. Then I must have WANTED to believe, because I actually drove up to the record shop the day St Anger came out and could not fucking wait to play it on the way home.
Needless to say it was a crushing disappointment. :lol:

Opeth albums after Deliverance have disappointed me greatly too.

Def Leppard's X album was gay beyond belief, I had hoped for something a LOT better there.

don't even get me started on the terrible drum fills Lars plays.

I don't understand that comment. Are you a drummer? To me his fills sound like they did on the previous albums - they fit the music perfectly.

The "lack of bass on Justice" thing also confuses me a bit - RTL has practically no bass on it either, but no ever mentions it!

I'm always dying of boredom listening to the long-ass repetitive riffs of Eye Of The Beholder, Frayed Ends Of Sanity and the title track. The fact there is no bass annoys me, I can't stand the sound of the snare and don't even get me started on the terrible drum fills Lars plays. When he simplified his "playing", or lack there of, things definitely got better.

I love the fact there is no Bass. I wish more bands would record metal albums without bass. This allows for more crunchy guitar and you can feel the bass drum which makes up for the bass guitar.

You said the Black album was more Complex how so?

I think the drumming on AJFA is the best drumming he has ever done. His drumming on the black album is very simple and predictable. The black album in general is a commercial arena rock album. I have a drum kit. I play the drums. I can play every song on the black album with one stick. The AJFA album is very much a different story.

To me those albums are so far apart musically that even trying to compare them is not working for me.

i remember when Enter Sandman was introduced on the radio as the new Metallica single. i literally felt like someone punched me in the stomach. I couldn't believe what I had just heard. Same feeling I had when 'only' was released as the first single for Anthrax. You just knew right away that these bands were changing from thrash metal to something more mainstream and it really sucked. At least SOWN was semi dark. The black album is just a really lame mainstream arena rock album and that coming from Metallica who had just previously released AJFA, which was flawless imo, was sickening.

To this day when I hear Enter Sandman at a football or baseball game I just laugh.

I LOVE Down III - Over the Under. One album that I still listen to all the time and rarely leaves my CD player. I love all of Down's CD's, nothing will touch NOLA to me, but Down III is bad ass imo. Can't wait to see Down live again, Phil is back on his game, Rex should be back. A real roc band that doesn't give a shit. The world needs more bands like them

+1

Agreed on TGSTK too

Stop agreeing with me on stuff, it makes it harder to hate you.