Biggest Disappointments in Metal History

Listened to SOWN yesterday, couldnt get through most of it, had to skip tracks before they were finished. How people can say this is better than the Joey material baffles me. Sure the album has its moments, (Room For One More, Only) but the rest is abysmal. I was just shaking my head at some of the god awful lyrics, I mean GOD AWFUL SHIT. ("What are you gonna do, you love to look at you") Songwriting definitely went down the tubes here. I just dont understand the legendary praise it gets, I really dont. I like WCFYA better.

I am not sure where you see any legendary praise. You mainly will hear this praise from people on this forum. Many of which discovered Anthrax when SOWN came out. I never listen to SOWN it doesn't do anything for me, either does any of the Bushthrax material. I think SOWN was at least well written and well excuted unlike Vol 8 or Stomp 442 which are just utter shit imo. It is just a completely different band. Joey era vs. John Era there really are not many similarities in sound. Its amazing how a band can do such a significant change without changing their name.

But the dabate will continue on and on... well on this forum anyways.

There is alot of praise for that album that ive seen.

btw anyone who doesnt understand why IMF09 refers to SOWN as grunge, refer back to the opening tone of 'Invisible'. That had grunge written all over it.

you can do such a significant change but not without losing a major part of your fanbase.

Very true. Look at Celtic Frost

Before:

After:

I will never forget purchasing the "Cold Lake" tape from a used music store and being like 'what the fuck, is this a joke?????'

Or you can go the other route:

From this:

To This:

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm just gonna take deep breath and not get into this shit right now.

...ok. one quick note: the opening of Invisible is almost exactly the same as Heresy by Pantera. It's just played slower.

They're nothing like each other! :lol:

On the other hand, I don't see how the intro to Invisible is grunge. It's a fucking intro, distorted guitars, drums - WTF? You guys must know a lot more about grunge than me, which is odd since you all fucking hate it.

My reference to grunge begins and ends with Nirvana, just as my reference point for punk begins and ends at the Sex Pistols. If you don't like a genre, how come you're all experts on it? :Smokedev:

Welcome to the boards. I am with you on most of it. Especially Anthrax and Maiden. Good to see an old school metal fan on here. Most people on this forum didn't even have pubes when And Justice For All was released. You will find that the majority of "Anthrax" fans on here are bigger fans of the John Bus era. It baffles my mind how anyone could think that. But I have come to the realization that most of the Joey era fans have long ditched the band. Now that he is back you are starting to see some old school fans like yourself come out of the wood work.

None the less nice post. Very enjoyable. Though I do love Kerry King and Jeff H. Even if they are sloppy. They never went to music school, don't even know how to read music. I think its great that they just don't give a fuck. They never claim to be rippers or shredders, in fact Kerry King often times says he doesn't even know how to play guitar

I didn't have pubes by the time AJFA came out but I still enjoy me some old school thrash metal. WTF. And my last GF wasn't even born yet when that album came out and she digs my music. Although, she comes from the generation that refuses to pay for music.

Didnt say I didnt like "grunge", I actually like all of alot of those bands if you consider Soundgarden, STP & AIC grunge, doesnt mean we want Anthrax changing their sound to sound like them.

Welcome to the boards. I am with you on most of it. Especially Anthrax and Maiden. Good to see an old school metal fan on here. Most people on this forum didn't even have pubes when And Justice For All was released. You will find that the majority of "Anthrax" fans on here are bigger fans of the John Bus era. It baffles my mind how anyone could think that. But I have come to the realization that most of the Joey era fans have long ditched the band. Now that he is back you are starting to see some old school fans like yourself come out of the wood work.

None the less nice post. Very enjoyable. Though I do love Kerry King and Jeff H. Even if they are sloppy. They never went to music school, don't even know how to read music. I think its great that they just don't give a fuck. They never claim to be rippers or shredders, in fact Kerry King often times says he doesn't even know how to play guitar

Thanks for the welcome! And yeah I too was surprised to find so much support for the Bush fronted Anthrax on this board... but hey to each his own I guess.
Didn't mean to sound like I was hating on King and Hanneman, I couldn't imagine Slayer without them. And some of Slayer's riffs are the baddest you'll ever hear (the intro to Raining Blood was so badass they ripped it off themselves for the intros to South of Heaven and Dead Skin Mask). I was just stating Spitz' superiority as a lead guitarist during the 80s. Really by the time Seasons came out in 1990, both KK and (esp.) JH had developed into really good lead players.

Thanks for the welcome! And yeah I too was surprised to find so much support for the Bush fronted Anthrax on this board... but hey to each his own I guess.
Didn't mean to sound like I was hating on King and Hanneman, I couldn't imagine Slayer without them. And some of Slayer's riffs are the baddest you'll ever hear (the intro to Raining Blood was so badass they ripped it off themselves for the intros to South of Heaven and Dead Skin Mask). I was just stating Spitz' superiority as a lead guitarist during the 80s. Really by the time Seasons came out in 1990, both KK and (esp.) JH had developed into really good lead players.

Right on! Well when I really first came here was back when the Runion tour with Joey was happening. And all of the Bush-Thrax fans were crying up and down about it. It was strange because I went to a few of those reunion shows and they were absolutely mind blowing, sold out, and had tons of energy. I came here thinking others would have gone and been just as fired up as I was but all I saw for the most part were idiots on here talking about how they were boycotting anthrax if John Bush wasn't back, they were even making petitions to try and stop the reunion. It was so funny and sad to me that I had to stick around here and try to stand up for the old school Anthrax fans. So I think over time the hardcore Bush-Thrax fans have mellowed out a bit and have accepted some of us old school fans and are realizing that the Joey fronted band will be the only way this band can continue. The old school Anthrax fans gave up on the band 15 years ago, so on this forum you won't find all that many people from that era of Anthrax.

None the less stick around everyone on here, even Thrashard, Stormwatch and Social Distortion are ok dudes! :loco:

I think over time the hardcore Bush-Thrax fans have mellowed out a bit and have accepted some of us old school fans and are realizing that the Joey fronted band will be the only way this band can continue.

I don't think the hardcore Bushthrax fans have mellowed out. They just don't post here any more.
I think the majority of the people on here enjoy both eras of the band, with the odd person, like you, who just doesn't dig the Bush stuff.
But then there's only about 6 people who actually post here any more so....:loco:

daily posting members:
ironmaidenfan09
johnnieCzech
Anthrax Mosher
Social Distortion
Stormwatch
Thrashard

regular posting members:
vomit
spacebeer
scottishthrax
sufferer
Arg Hamster
Dumbass
Deege
aliasp
Jono
timmyc
AlexStomp
mrthrax
jonasbjarky
motorpsycho
KillerB

all the others: once in a while or never

I was against the reunion back then only because I felt they lost momentum. I never embraced Don Nelson. I wish they hadnt wasted years and studio time with him. Remember when they did a poll as to which songs to include on GOTE? They should have had a poll as for who to sing for Anthrax. Bush, Belladonna, or a no name Anselmo wannabe. I wonder who would win? Now that Belladonna is back I'm glad.

daily posting members:
ironmaidenfan09
johnnieCzech
Anthrax Mosher
Social Distortion
Stormwatch
Thrashard

regular posting members:
spacebeer
scottishthrax
sufferer
Arg Hamster
Dumbass
Deege
aliasp
Jono
timmyc
AlexStomp
mrthrax
jonasbjarky
motorpsycho
KillerB

all the others: once in a while or never

Hey Beeyotch, I am a semi-regular poster as well. or not.:OMG:

I don't think the hardcore Bushthrax fans have mellowed out. They just don't post here any more.
I think the majority of the people on here enjoy both eras of the band, with the odd person, like you, who just doesn't dig the Bush stuff.
But then there's only about 6 people who actually post here any more so....:loco:

I love the BUSHthrax....and still post sometimes. Joey is OK.......just prefer da BUSH...especially a SHAVEN Bush.:worship: