Biggest Disappointments in Metal History

Slash is glam rock? Oh for fuck sake, I've heard it all now.
I don't expect Phil Anselmo or the rest of Pantera are glam rock stars though?

Slash is a fucking legend, if Axl hadn't fucked up the UYI albums, they'd have been great. And Slash's Snakepit stuff is awesome. The guy is one of the best players around and pretty much single handed keeping real guitar playing alive with the youngsters.

Slash is glam rock? Oh for fuck sake, I've heard it all now.
I don't expect Phil Anselmo or the rest of Pantera are glam rock stars though?

Slash is a fucking legend, if Axl hadn't fucked up the UYI albums, they'd have been great. And Slash's Snakepit stuff is awesome. The guy is one of the best players around and pretty much single handed keeping real guitar playing alive with the youngsters.

Hey, atleast someone here gets it! :worship:

cowbell.gif

I think The Clansman is Maiden's best epic song. Yes, even better than Hallowed Be Thy Name.

Ooooh i dunno about that one, Clansman is a decent tune but dont think it tops Hallowed.. even with Bruce singing it:

And they need to hurry up and release Maiden England on dvd already because its one of my most fave concert videos:

Last edited by a moderator:
You haven't fixed it.

He was saying Slash IS a glam rock star. Present tense. Presumably on the basis of a photo shoot GNR did 25 years ago.
Pantera were wearing all the glam shit in a much bigger way than Slash ever did back around then.

I used the present tense because that's what IMfan did.

I believe you wanted a response....

OverkillFUoriginal.jpg

Ooooh i dunno about that one, Clansman is a decent tune but dont think it tops Hallowed.. even with Bruce singing it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TaJKDYZ-n38

And they need to hurry up and release Maiden England on dvd already because its one of my most fave concert videos:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N53wPInP0_Y

I am with you on that. Maiden England was my favorite live vhs they ever did. 7th Son is probably my favorite Maiden album and that tour was amazing. I converted the VHS to DVD so I can play it in my DVD player. They put a few of those songs in digital format on the 7th son Re-issue I believe i was. None the less yes I wish they would remaster that bad boy and release it on DVD!

I believe you wanted a response....

OverkillFUoriginal.jpg

No, I didn't particularly want a response, I just hoped you might have read what was being said and after an hour or two sitting slack jawed, drool stained, staring at your monitor, you might have finally understood the difference between present and past tense.
Clearly my hopes were in vain.
Call me a "dumb faggot" again and post a clever picture to illustrate your enormous mental powers. o_O

Stumbled across this site while searching for info about Joey Belladonna returning to Anthrax... this thread inspired me to register and post.

Here are my 10 biggest metal related disappointments, in no particular order other than when they came to me:

1) Cliff Burton's death and the subsequent release of ...And Justice For All
I know, I know; some people are going to lose their minds hearing me disparage AJFA. I did eventually grow to love it, if only because it was part of the soundtrack of my formative years; not to mention the fact that I listened to it repeatedly in order to learn all of the licks. And yes, it's still light years better than anything to come after. But, following the sheer brilliance of Master Of Puppets, my first listen to AJFA was pure disappointment. Yes it was actually more musically complex than Puppets, but it lacked... fire? aggression? depth? Lots of cold miserableness, but esp. after the death of Cliff Burton, I expected deep, angry, frustrated, fiery miserableness. Instead we got music that was kinda good from a clinical standpoint, but didn't display or inspire the same passion as their previous albums.
A big part of this was the fact that Cliff was dead and they really missed his contributions as a band (unlike the case with most bass players, Cliff was prob the best pure musician in the band). James' voice had apparently changed. They switched to those rubbery sounding Mesa Boogie Rectifier amps. Aside from the backward intro to Blackened, the bass is completely non-existent. The snare is wayyyyyyyy too loud. Yeah there are a few moments that compare to Puppets and Lightning (Dyers Eve, One - yeah overplayed after the video but still a great song), but most of it just pales in comparison. In fact, pale is an adjective that describes that album well.

2) The Black Album - the band that epitomized aggressive music in the 80s made too much money and didn't have anything to be angry about anymore. Kirk stuck his wah pedal up his ass and mailed it in. James tried to actually sing and forgot how to scream with balls - AND he started that incredibly annoying thing where he ends every damn line with "-ah!". Lars, who is one of my fave all time drummers on the first four albums, completely mails it in with that whole "playing in the pocket" cop out. We can hear Jason for the first time since the Garage Days Re-Re EP and we find it's really nothing special. A song about some mysterious dream nightmare guy? really? There were a few moments of goodness here, unfortunately VERY few.

3) Adrian Smith leaving Iron Maiden; the release of No Prayer For The Dying.
Not unlike Metallica's loss of Cliff Burton, Maiden was irrevocably damaged by the loss of Adrian Smith. What made it even worse was that they replaced him with one of the worst and most annoying guitarists in rock history, Janick Gers. He's crap, garbage; he's shit with a capital F. This album was billed as some sort of "back to our roots" crap which apparently just meant they were going to wear Chuck Taylors on stage now, because this album doesn't sound a THING like their debut, Killers, or NOTB. The best track on here is Tailgunner, and could there be a lamer chorus? "Climb into the sky, never wonder why, you're a tailgunner"? seriously? And didn't we cover this same exact material in dramatically better fashion 6 years earlier with Aces High? What's next, a song about a bombardier, maybe an air traffic controller? "You read radars, you don't know why, airplanes not cars, up in the sky!" haha
Oh and another thing, Bruce's vocals on this album were TERRIBLE. He was clearly trying to do some sort of Axl Rose type thing I guess as a reaction to the success of GnR, but dude, if you can sing like Bruce, friggin SING. Don't give me some arbitrary screamy crap because you think that's what's popular now (ahem, 1992 Anthrax I'm looking in your direction).

4) Bruce Dickinson leaving Iron Maiden - and then hearing Blaze Bayley or whatever the f his name is for the first time. I've never been able to listen all the way through to a Blaze Bayley album. Honestly how do you go from Bruce Dickinson to a guy that sings off key? Seriously, he's OFF-KEY in studio recordings. You'd think a band of this stature could have at least found a guy that could fulfill his role, but than after having brought in Janick Gers just a couple of years prior, I guess I should not have been so surprised. I do find a silver lining here though, he was shitty on NPFTD; if he hadn't left when he did, the circumstances that brought him back and gave us Brave New World, which is pretty damn good, may never have materialized (and, not coincidentally, included Adrian Smith as well).

5) Finding out Randy Rhoads was dead 5 years after the fact. I knew of Ozzy only insofar as I knew the name, and remembered the story about the bat or whatever. I knew he'd been in Black Sabbath, but at the time was not really familiar with them (growing up the youngest of three where the oldest two were girls means you don't hear a lot of real metal until you discover it on your own in 7th grade). Anyway I was halfway through the first track on the live Tribute album (which I didn't realize meant "tribute to my dead friend") when I decided I was going to learn to play the guitar. Changed my life. By the time the Suicide Solution solo came up I was in full-on fan worship mode of Randy Rhoads. When I found out a few days later that genius was dead and there would be no more such music, I was crushed.

6) Anthrax firing Joey Belladonna and then Dan Spitz. Both part of a clearly contrived move to bite off of the screamy vocal style and minimalist approach that had become popular with heavy music at the time (mostly euphemistically referred to as "grunge" in a marketing ploy intended to distance said bands from obvious metal roots; in addition to Metallica "slowing down" and subsequently experiencing unprecedented success). Weeeeeeeeeak. Little Scotty wants money too!! He'll sing a rap song if you want him too! Little Scotty will grow funny facial hair and wear flannel and appear on lame VH1 shows and EVERYTHING ELSE HE'S ASKED TO APPEAR ON if you'll buy his records and validate his existence! Scott Ian is a DOUCHE! Joey Belladonna was the best part of the classic Anthrax lineup, he's the biggest reason they stood out from the other thrash bands of the era! Firing him was a HUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUGE mistake. Not to mention Dan Spitz, who was friggin' awesome and had an original lead style that, in my opinion, put him on par with Kirk Hammett (who'd forgotten how to play at that point) as the best lead guitarist of the big four 80s thrash bands. (yes, I said it, Spitz - the others: Mustaine was good but sloppy; Poland and Young were good but not up to Spitz; Hahneman and esp. King were sloppy as hell and really not very good at all).

7) Rust In Peace - crappy guitar tone, but more than that Marty Friedman's playing. Don't get me wrong, I recognize that the dude can rip; and I own several neo-classical guitar related albums (Malmsteen, etc.), but that style, along with his way exaggerated vibrato (seriously stop bending 2 steps on EVERYTHING! It doesn't make anything sound better! Hell why not just squeal on all of'em too like Zakk Wylde? Lame.) just doesn't mesh with Megadeth. There are some great moments on this album, but also a lot of filler. And Mustaine's vocals, which had become passable on Peace Sells and So Far, So Good, started to go backwards. Too many weird vocalization techniques/sounds/inflections.

8) Countdown To Extinction (correction! it was late, i was tired) - "Metallica played slower and made a trillion zillion dollars, I want a trillion zillion dollars too!!" So they arbitrarily played slower, but Dave's voice is never going to draw enough casual fans to bring the kind of success Metallica had. And like Metallica, doing so had the effect of alienating and pissing off any supremely hardcore fans they once had (ya know, the fans that not only buy records but also camp out to buy tickets, and never miss a show). Unlike Metallica, they didn't make enough new or casual fans to make up for the loss.
Not a completely terrible album, but the arbitrary attempt at commerciality (yeah it's a word I just made up) was a major turn off. And Dave's voice got sillier and more cartoonish still - seriously, tell me he doesn't sound like Beavis in "Sweating Bullets"?

9) The 1990s in general.

10) The production on St. Anger. Another load of hype with the "back to the roots" bs. Now I know people HATE this album, but I won't go that far. In fact, I'd venture to say the songs are actually pretty good; it's the production that is terrible. I remember reading an interview where it was mentioned that they told the producer to "forget everything he knew about production, so we could try new stuff and get a new, raw, original sound". Well they got an original sound all right, originally terrible. Sounds like it was recorded on a tape recorder in someone's garage. Like a tape recorder in someone's butt in someone's garage.

11) I know I said 10, but these go to 11. Everything after the title track on "Bark At The Moon". I guess it was to be expected that that album would be a step down from where Ozzy had been with Rhoads, but the song "Bark At The Moon", though campy, was friggin awesome and made you think "Hey, maybe Ozzy can really continue the brilliance he and his band displayed with Rhoads!"... sadly, it was not to be, and he never has...

Stumbled across this site while searching for info about Joey Belladonna returning to Anthrax... this thread inspired me to register and post.

Here are my 10 biggest metal related disappointments, in no particular order other than when they came to me:

1) Cliff Burton's death and the subsequent release of ...And Justice For All
I know, I know; some people are going to lose their minds hearing me disparage AJFA. I did eventually grow to love it, if only because it was part of the soundtrack of my formative years; not to mention the fact that I listened to it repeatedly in order to learn all of the licks. And yes, it's still light years better than anything to come after. But, following the sheer brilliance of Master Of Puppets, my first listen to AJFA was pure disappointment. Yes it was actually more musically complex than Puppets, but it lacked... fire? aggression? depth? Lots of cold miserableness, but esp. after the death of Cliff Burton, I expected deep, angry, frustrated, fiery miserableness. Instead we got music that was kinda good from a clinical standpoint, but didn't display or inspire the same passion as their previous albums.
A big part of this was the fact that Cliff was dead and they really missed his contributions as a band (unlike the case with most bass players, Cliff was prob the best pure musician in the band). James' voice had apparently changed. They switched to those rubbery sounding Mesa Boogie Rectifier amps. Aside from the backward intro to Blackened, the bass is completely non-existent. The snare is wayyyyyyyy too loud. Yeah there are a few moments that compare to Puppets and Lightning (Dyers Eve, One - yeah overplayed after the video but still a great song), but most of it just pales in comparison. In fact, pale is an adjective that describes that album well.

2) The Black Album - the band that epitomized aggressive music in the 80s made too much money and didn't have anything to be angry about anymore. Kirk stuck his wah pedal up his ass and mailed it in. James tried to actually sing and forgot how to scream with balls - AND he started that incredibly annoying thing where he ends every damn line with "-ah!". Lars, who is one of my fave all time drummers on the first four albums, completely mails it in with that whole "playing in the pocket" cop out. We can hear Jason for the first time since the Garage Days Re-Re EP and we find it's really nothing special. A song about some mysterious dream nightmare guy? really? There were a few moments of goodness here, unfortunately VERY few.

3) Adrian Smith leaving Iron Maiden; the release of No Prayer For The Dying.
Not unlike Metallica's loss of Cliff Burton, Maiden was irrevocably damaged by the loss of Adrian Smith. What made it even worse was that they replaced him with one of the worst and most annoying guitarists in rock history, Janick Gers. He's crap, garbage; he's shit with a capital F. This album was billed as some sort of "back to our roots" crap which apparently just meant they were going to wear Chuck Taylors on stage now, because this album doesn't sound a THING like their debut, Killers, or NOTB. The best track on here is Tailgunner, and could there be a lamer chorus? "Climb into the sky, never wonder why, you're a tailgunner"? seriously? And didn't we cover this same exact material in dramatically better fashion 6 years earlier with Aces High? What's next, a song about a bombardier, maybe an air traffic controller? "You read radars, you don't know why, airplanes not cars, up in the sky!" haha
Oh and another thing, Bruce's vocals on this album were TERRIBLE. He was clearly trying to do some sort of Axl Rose type thing I guess as a reaction to the success of GnR, but dude, if you can sing like Bruce, friggin SING. Don't give me some arbitrary screamy crap because you think that's what's popular now (ahem, 1992 Anthrax I'm looking in your direction).

4) Bruce Dickinson leaving Iron Maiden - and then hearing Blaze Bayley or whatever the f his name is for the first time. I've never been able to listen all the way through to a Blaze Bayley album. Honestly how do you go from Bruce Dickinson to a guy that sings off key? Seriously, he's OFF-KEY in studio recordings. You'd think a band of this stature could have at least found a guy that could fulfill his role, but than after having brought in Janick Gers just a couple of years prior, I guess I should not have been so surprised. I do find a silver lining here though, he was shitty on NPFTD; if he hadn't left when he did, the circumstances that brought him back and gave us Brave New World, which is pretty damn good, may never have materialized (and, not coincidentally, included Adrian Smith as well).

5) Finding out Randy Rhoads was dead 5 years after the fact. I knew of Ozzy only insofar as I knew the name, and remembered the story about the bat or whatever. I knew he'd been in Black Sabbath, but at the time was not really familiar with them (growing up the youngest of three where the oldest two were girls means you don't hear a lot of real metal until you discover it on your own in 7th grade). Anyway I was halfway through the first track on the live Tribute album (which I didn't realize meant "tribute to my dead friend") when I decided I was going to learn to play the guitar. Changed my life. By the time the Suicide Solution solo came up I was in full-on fan worship mode of Randy Rhoads. When I found out a few days later that genius was dead and there would be no more such music, I was crushed.

6) Anthrax firing Joey Belladonna and then Dan Spitz. Both part of a clearly contrived move to bite off of the screamy vocal style and minimalist approach that had become popular with heavy music at the time (mostly euphemistically referred to as "grunge" in a marketing ploy intended to distance said bands from obvious metal roots; in addition to Metallica "slowing down" and subsequently experiencing unprecedented success). Weeeeeeeeeak. Little Scotty wants money too!! He'll sing a rap song if you want him too! Little Scotty will grow funny facial hair and wear flannel and appear on lame VH1 shows and EVERYTHING ELSE HE'S ASKED TO APPEAR ON if you'll buy his records and validate his existence! Scott Ian is a DOUCHE! Joey Belladonna was the best part of the classic Anthrax lineup, he's the biggest reason they stood out from the other thrash bands of the era! Firing him was a HUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUGE mistake. Not to mention Dan Spitz, who was friggin' awesome and had an original lead style that, in my opinion, put him on par with Kirk Hammett (who'd forgotten how to play at that point) as the best lead guitarist of the big four 80s thrash bands. (yes, I said it, Spitz - the others: Mustaine was good but sloppy; Poland and Young were good but not up to Spitz; Hahneman and esp. King were sloppy as hell and really not very good at all).

7) Rust In Peace - crappy guitar tone, but more than that Marty Friedman's playing. Don't get me wrong, I recognize that the dude can rip; and I own several neo-classical guitar related albums (Malmsteen, etc.), but that style, along with his way exaggerated vibrato (seriously stop bending 2 steps on EVERYTHING! It doesn't make anything sound better! Hell why not just squeal on all of'em too like Zakk Wylde? Lame.) just doesn't mesh with Megadeth. There are some great moments on this album, but also a lot of filler. And Mustaine's vocals, which had become passable on Peace Sells and So Far, So Good, started to go backwards. Too many weird vocalization techniques/sounds/inflections.

8) Sympony Of Destruction - "Metallica played slower and made a trillion zillion dollars, I want a trillion zillion dollars too!!" So they arbitrarily played slower, but Dave's voice is never going to draw enough casual fans to bring the kind of success Metallica had. And like Metallica, doing so had the effect of alienating and pissing off any supremely hardcore fans they once had (ya know, the fans that not only buy records but also camp out to buy tickets, and never miss a show). Unlike Metallica, they didn't make enough new or casual fans to make up for the loss.
Not a completely terrible album, but the arbitrary attempt at commerciality (yeah it's a word I just made up) was a major turn off. And Dave's voice got sillier and more cartoonish still - seriously, tell me he doesn't sound like Beavis in "Sweating Bullets"?

9) The 1990s in general.

10) The production on St. Anger. Another load of hype with the "back to the roots" bs. Now I know people HATE this album, but I won't go that far. In fact, I'd venture to say the songs are actually pretty good; it's the production that is terrible. I remember reading an interview where it was mentioned that they told the producer to "forget everything he knew about production, so we could try new stuff and get a new, raw, original sound". Well they got an original sound all right, originally terrible. Sounds like it was recorded on a tape recorder in someone's garage. Like a tape recorder in someone's butt in someone's garage.

11) I know I said 10, but these go to 11. Everything after the title track on "Bark At The Moon". I guess it was to be expected that that album would be a step down from where Ozzy had been with Rhoads, but the song "Bark At The Moon", though campy, was friggin awesome and made you think "Hey, maybe Ozzy can really continue the brilliance he and his band displayed with Rhoads!"... sadly, it was not to be, and he never has...

Welcome to the boards. I am with you on most of it. Especially Anthrax and Maiden. Good to see an old school metal fan on here. Most people on this forum didn't even have pubes when And Justice For All was released. You will find that the majority of "Anthrax" fans on here are bigger fans of the John Bus era. It baffles my mind how anyone could think that. But I have come to the realization that most of the Joey era fans have long ditched the band. Now that he is back you are starting to see some old school fans like yourself come out of the wood work.

None the less nice post. Very enjoyable. Though I do love Kerry King and Jeff H. Even if they are sloppy. They never went to music school, don't even know how to read music. I think its great that they just don't give a fuck. They never claim to be rippers or shredders, in fact Kerry King often times says he doesn't even know how to play guitar

Listened to SOWN yesterday, couldnt get through most of it, had to skip tracks before they were finished. How people can say this is better than the Joey material baffles me. Sure the album has its moments, (Room For One More, Only) but the rest is abysmal. I was just shaking my head at some of the god awful lyrics, I mean GOD AWFUL SHIT. ("What are you gonna do, you love to look at you") Songwriting definitely went down the tubes here. I just dont understand the legendary praise it gets, I really dont. I like WCFYA better.