Biggest Disappointments in Metal History

DM actually has some decent songs, but I have two major issues with it.
1) The guitar tone fucking sucks. Like Slayer's modern tone, there's just something really....shit...about it. I don't know if it's the active pickups, but their guitar tone just doesn't have that in your face buzzsaw intensity it used to have.
2) Kirk's solos. Again, it's like he's trying to be like Slayer on most of the solos, they're really shit. When he plays like Kirk I quite like those moments on the album, but overall, the solos on the album are shite.

Maybe so. There's a couple on the album that are alright. But the majority of them are just random dissonant notes like Kerry King would play. And it sucks.
I mean it works in Slayer, their music fits that style of solo. It doesn't work in Metallica, it just sounds shit.

Every single solo on Death Magnetic sucks. I like the songs, but not the solos.

I love the James Hetfield solo version of Suicide & Redemption from Guitar Hero...it doesn't have Kirk's lame-ass solo on it. James is a way more tasteful player than Kirk ever was.

Kirk has to play what James plays plus his solo's so how is he more tasteful?

James is more tasteful as a lead player. On the few instances where James has played solos in Metallica songs, they are always much better than Kirk's.

James plays all of the rythym tracks on studio recordings. Kirk plays the solos - which usually suck. So the only contribution Kirk has is usually shit.

What about Kirk in EXODUS?

It amazes me how so many people will go on and on about Metallica. On every forum everywhere people talk about Metallica until their are blue in the face. Death Magnetic is an ok album. If it didn't have Metallicas name on it nobody would ever mention it. There are so many great thrash metal bands more deserving of the attention.

Now Kirk in Exodus that is a different story :Smokedev:

1. Queensryche – Promised land
2. Metallica – black album
3. Anthrax – Stomp 442.
4. Slayer – Diabolus in Musica
5. Helloween – time of the Oath
6. King Diamond – House of God
7. Megadeth – Risk
8. Anthrax – Volume 8
9. Maiden – Brave new world
10. Iced Earth – Framing Armageddon

1. Queensryche – Promised land
2. Metallica – black album
3. Anthrax – Stomp 442.
4. Slayer – Diabolus in Musica
5. Helloween – time of the Oath
6. King Diamond – House of God
7. Megadeth – Risk
8. Anthrax – Volume 8
9. Maiden – Brave new world
10. Iced Earth – Framing Armageddon

With you on most of those except for Brave New World which I really like a lot

With you on most of those except for Brave New World which I really like a lot

I think the dissapointment was the largest on this one. I really loved accident of birth and the chemical wedding, and when Dickinson and Smith came back I hoped they would continue at least a bit of the line set in those albums.

They didn't, and I must admit, if it was a new album of a new band, I would prolly have loved it, but this is Maiden and I experienced the golden years as a kid which probably made me expect more out of the awesome line-up/come back than maybe even possible? (along with me a whole army of maiden fans I think).