Digital Camera Ruling:

Thank you Glenn. I will bring my digital camera and hopfully its acceptable. Ity takes video but no audio. Again thanks for the reasonable solution.

Time to bust out the ol' Canon AE-1 =D

Oh, and hopefully there will some other form of announcing this? I'd hate for someone who doesn't read the forum to have to wait in one line just to find out they have to switch and wait in the other =/

The Fiddler said:
Thinking out aloud here. Of course, Glenn will have the final say...

It would be a good idea to post a list of banned cameras on the forum a couple of months before the event.

There should be a separate line for those with no camera (who want to enter promptly) and a separate line for those with camera (who are willing to wait to have their camera checked).

A digital camera allowed in because it can only take crappy video for only 30 seconds does not give the owner the right to take the video even though they could. All video is banned. Period.

There's a great resource for digital camera reviews, including video capabilities for almost every consumer digital camera made in the past five years. You can visit it at: http://www.dpreview.com

I'm guessing that any camera which can record video for over a couple of minutes at any quality would be banned. Of course, if you have enough memory you could string together enough 30 second clips to piece together a good portion of video highlights. Just something else for Glenn to think about. :loco:

why are people making this more complicated than it really is? I mean, there is a clear difference between a flash camera(or film) and a digital camera.

just open the darn thing, if there's a film roll in there then OK, if not, then pay up the $10.

I can live with the $10 fee, seems reasonable and well worth it for me. About the separate line, will Gold Badge holders still be able to get in an hour before everybody else and also get their cameras inspected?

just open the darn thing, if there's a film roll in there then OK, if not, then pay up the $10.
yeah and when you ruin the film loaded in the camera no big deal, right? :Smug: I think a simpler way would be to look for an LCD screen on the back; I'm not aware of any film cameras with color LCD's (although some do have a small monochrome LCD for settings display).

Folks;

You know, I am there for the music. I have no intention of bringing a camera, digital or otherwise, into Earthlink. Why the big deal about cameras? You pey good money to be in tune with the music. How can you be in tune if you are busy focusing the camera. There is nothing like going into a trance when the music is blasting. Pure spiritual bliss.

Peace,
Ray C.

Stingray, I see what you mean, and 98% of the time, thats what we're doing: embracing the music/atmosphere. In the time we're not, we're capturing this experience to keep the memories alive and vivid. Ever since I got a digital camera (thus making taking pictures and saving them very easy / costless) I have thousands of photos on my computer of the last 6-7 years. If I try to remember all the cool things I did with my friends in 2001, the most vivid memories I have are the ones that are aided by the photos. Just to open up Picasa and scroll through the timeline is so awesome.

Many of us want to document PP because its such a major event of the year--of our lives... when its over, all one has left are the memories.

Glenn, that's just about the best ruling possible. Well done.

You mentioned the bracelet, and that the $10 is a one-time fee. How will re-entry work? And will the bracelet be durable enough to last overnight? Maybe even last through a shower (for some of us :D)?

Still very curious about how digital cameras will be differentiated: video capability vs. non-video? All allowed in (and charged $10), but with extra security personnel on hand watching for obvious filming?

Either way I'm set; my newer Kodak takes video, but it's not great quality (as we've all seen) and under any sound amplification, it sounds like complete and utter ass.
My 'veteran' Kodak digi, which was made four years before anyone dreamed a digital camera could ever take video, would never be confused for one of its more capable great-grandchildren. :D

I am of the opinion that Glenn is to be commended for trying so hard to be so accomodating for every situation.

But...what an unbelievable can of worms! I can't help but think that this just adds immeasurably to his logistics and stress levels. I can't imagine any other promoter putting his operations on the line like that for the sake of the fans.

Bravo to you, Glenn...I hope it's worth it for you and the masses.

(For the record...got tired of carrying cameras years ago...don't even bother now...I came to rock and party!)

Rock on!

Lots of thoughts on this subject. I bring the digital to take shots of the bands onstage, and then at the signings. I look in the PP gallery, and there are nice pictures of the bands...but no wide shots because the camera persons are too close. I like to stand about 10 feet from the stage and use my zoom when necessary.

Frankly if I could pull down a bunch of wide shots from this site I would not bother with a camera when I watch the bands.

Having a digital for signings, etc. has proven invaluable for me, and I with these restrictions I would have to co-ordinate how I spend my time pretty carefully.

I would suggest to you Glenn, that you have the bouncer write the name of the camera on the wristband, and then when people come back in the venue a second or third time, they just show the camera and the wrist band to any bouncer (particularly the one doing the checks AFTER the one that does the cameras). You KNOW some prick is going to show up with a POS camera that is 5 years old, go back to the hotel, and come back with a brand new camera that can shoot 30fps video all night.

Finally, if I bring a film camera, do I have to stand in the same line?

I posted the new guideline in the event details section of the website. It includes a few answers for those that asked more questions since the original posting. I will continue to revise it as the weeks progress.

Glenn H.

While this doesn't matter to me, I know it will make Mary happy!:Spin: She was all ready to bring her 35mm and assorted gear. Although her Digital SLR has about the same amount of gear, so I guess it's the same amount of stuff to lug around.

Again, folks, this is why Glenn rules. Pretty much any other promoter out there would just say "no cameras, suck it!" if they bothered to address their audience at all. This will cause a lot more work for people, but I think it's a pretty cool compromise.

dt

Harvester said:
I posted the new guideline in the event details section of the website. It includes a few answers for those that asked more questions since the original posting. I will continue to revise it as the weeks progress.

Glenn H.

alot of camera's ( mine in particular ) the amount of video is determined by the size of the memory card ... what about that?

I'm hiring a camera pro with plenty of tech experience to help judge things at the checkpoint. There is no way that I can make this 100% fault proof.

The easiest way to avoid conflict is for you to prove that it falls within the acceptable range instead of me proving it does not.

Glenn H