DIONYSUS - Fairytales and Reality

edgeofthorns

24 Hours Ago...
Jan 2, 2005
City beneath the surface
Well, I picked up this release over the weekend from Dionysus and I've really enjoyed it so far. I've been a fan of this band ever since their debut, but I've not seen much talk about them on this forum. With that in mind, what are your thoughts? Also, would you like to see them make an appearance at the festival sometime? Obviously I would, but that goes without saying!

I have Anima Mundi and Sign of Truth (both up on BEC radio). I'm pretty sure Dave has the new one, which I'm dying to hear. Highly talented and interesting band. I'd love to see them at ProgPower.

One click on my signature (The Metal Madman) and you'll get your answer. It was my disc of the month when it came out, and I have the song "Spirits" streaming on my music player over there.

KILLER disc, and its easily my favorite by them.

Dionysus is definitely a top band in terms of talent level and catchy songwriting. Not sure why they aren't considered top tier yet. Hopefully Glenn will give them a shot. Third slot on Saturday sure would be nice.

Whoa, really?! Olaf Hayer(from Luca Turilli's band) is the singer. The drummer is Sinergy's ex drummer. The guitar player and bass player came from an obscure band called Nation. The guitar player is one of the greatest shredders I've ever heard(at least he was, he kind of holds back on Dionysus albums).

It's just great power metal/melodic rock. Very classy. Not 100 miles an hour or any real gimmicks.

As for which album to pick up, it doesn't matter. These guys are experienced professionals, so you don't hear a great quality difference from the first album to the last. My personal favorite is Anima Mundi. It's got the most speedy songs. The debut probably has their three best songs ever(Time Will Tell, Holy War, Never Wait), but the rest is filler. The latest has some great stuff as well, but I haven't done more than listen to sound clips at this point. Looks to be less speedy but with some more interesting melodies.

To be honest, I don't think I've ever heard the band. Which album should I go after if I want to check them out?

Again free full streaming song on my metal madman page. Not some crappy 96 bitrate either.

If you wanna check out an entire CD I highly recommend the new one Fairytales And Reality.

Dunno if your familiar with the band NATION but the guitar player whos fantastic comes from that band.

Olaf the singer......well hes just so fuckin badass!

To be honest, I don't think I've ever heard the band. Which album should I go after if I want to check them out?

I like Anima Mundi the best, but it has one of my all time favorite ballads on it called, Forevermore. Yeah, I know it's a sappy ballad, but the band does it with such class! :kickass:

Anima Mundi is your best bet to go with first in my opinion.

I like Anima Mundi the best, but it has one of my all time favorite ballads on it called, Forevermore. Yeah, I know it's a sappy ballad, but the band does it with such class!

That ballad is one of the greatest metal love songs I've ever heard.

I like Anima Mundi the best, but it has one of my all time favorite ballads on it called, Forevermore. Yeah, I know it's a sappy ballad, but the band does it with such class!

That ballad is one of the greatest metal love songs I've ever heard.

:kickass: Olaf's vocals just soar in that song! He proves what a badass he truly is on a ballad! :lol:

I love Dionysus!

The problem with the song Forever More is that the chorus sounds partly like Stratovarius's Hunting High and Low. (I remember how lots noticed that when the album came out)

Oh boy! Dionysus is my top fav. band it's a total shame they broke up. On a better note I just want to start off by saying Olaf Hayer is my fav. singer the highs and low notes I can't even begin to describe his greatness, and Johnny Ohlin is one of the greatest guitar players I have ever heard perfect tone and phrasing amazing. To start from the beginning album by them being co produced by Tobias Sammet I knew one thing with Olaf singing and Tobias involved It would have catchy chourses in every song, and of course that's true but to be brief my top songs are Walk of Fire, Don't Forget, Holy War and Time will tell. There second album Anima Mundi was just as strong as the first album with the same line up as the first most of the songs again were written by Ronny the drummer and the album is amazing front to back! my tops are Bringer of War, Forever More, and My Heart is Crying. So now we get to the album that seems to be the final Dionysus album well of course the greatest hits album that came out Fairytales and Reality I had this baby on Pre order couldn't wait for it, and guess what it again is top notch metal from front to back! With Ronny again writting most of the music and lyrics Ronny Millianowicz has proved himself a truly great place in metal history, for me anyway. Just the song Spirit alone is worth buying this album for and then Then game,Tides will turn im speechless about the band, Even though they have officially called it quits strainger things have happened at ppusa like Conception playing ppusa 6 (it rocked), so maybe and I really hope Dionysus can play ppusa or if not hopefully make more albums, on a side note for anyone who doesn't know Olaf Hayer is singing with Magic Kingdom!!!!!!!!!

...With Ronny again writting most of the music and lyrics...

Which is why they broke up. Ronnie felt he was the one doing almost all of the work. He broke up the band in order to work with musicians who were more dedicated to a band, and willing to contribute more. IMO Saint Deamon is as good as Dionysus was.

Even though they have officially called it quits strainger things have happened at ppusa like Conception playing ppusa 6 (it rocked), so maybe and I really hope Dionysus can play ppusa or if not hopefully make more albums,

Anything is possible, but I expect Ronnie will be focused on Saint Deamon for the immediate future.

on a side note for anyone who doesn't know Olaf Hayer is singing with Magic Kingdom!!!!!!!!!
Should be good. Metallic Tragedy was beyond excellent. I picked the song "Metallic Tragedy" in the Most Epic Song thread. I'm looking forward to both the new Magic Kingdom and Iron Mask releases.

Hell yeah Dionysus!
Very underrated and truelly among the greatest of underground power metal.
Everything about them is amazing.. and yet so many people misunderstand the band as a whole. there simply beautiful...\m/