DIONYSUS - Fairytales and Reality

Wow, this thread got digged up from the dead.

I believe I read how Ronny said in an interview the issue with Olaf Hayer and doing live performances was that he would struggle hitting the high notes (unlike Saint Deamon - where that guy is insane in his abilities and they can play any song from the album).

He said how songs like "Time Will Tell" they couldn't even do live after a point because he couldn't sing it. That was their signature song IMO.

I've always wondered why Olaf has never made it more popular, but it seems his voice might be "studio" only and not for the demands of the road.

Not giving the man any slack - but I think that's one of the reasons they never got bigger is their touring never really got off the ground.

The drummer and bass player are the only members who are ex-Dionysus.

However, they're really two different sounding bands completely.

I love Saint Deamon (1st album; 2nd album wasn't as good I thought), but still think I prefer the sound of Dionysus overall

Wow, this thread got digged up from the dead.

I believe I read how Ronny said in an interview the issue with Olaf Hayer and doing live performances was that he would struggle hitting the high notes (unlike Saint Deamon - where that guy is insane in his abilities and they can play any song from the album).

He said how songs like "Time Will Tell" they couldn't even do live after a point because he couldn't sing it. That was their signature song IMO.

I've always wondered why Olaf has never made it more popular, but it seems his voice might be "studio" only and not for the demands of the road.

Not giving the man any slack - but I think that's one of the reasons they never got bigger is their touring never really got off the ground.

We had Dionysus play at my old club a couple of years ago, and although I'm NOT a fan of their albums, I was very impressed by them live - Olaf sounded fantastic. He is a great singer, and as a human being VERY nice. All the guys in the band were very nice to work with actually. Anyway, this was actually just to say that when I saw them, Olaf didn't seem to struggle at all.

c.

We had Dionysus play at my old club a couple of years ago, and although I'm NOT a fan of their albums, I was very impressed by them live - Olaf sounded fantastic. He is a great singer, and as a human being VERY nice. All the guys in the band were very nice to work with actually. Anyway, this was actually just to say that when I saw them, Olaf didn't seem to struggle at all.

c.

http://www.metal-zen.com/2008/07/03...hat-good-live…we-have-a-lot-of-fun-on-stage”/

Here's the interview where Ronny said it about Olaf (right before this he said how Olaf had sung amazing on the album).

Here's the relevant exert:

"RM: And it also had some problems actually. It was a lot of songs we were not able, it can also have to be, I mean it’s not something bad about Olaf, but a lot of singers that sing this kind of high-pitched. I mean, when they start to get closer to 40 than 30, their voice start to suffer, and it was a lot of songs that we couldn’t even play live. And the people came after the show and said, “Hey guys, why didn’t play this song? I was waiting two years to see it, and you didn’t play ‘Time Will Tell.’” And this kind of question. And it was also, to be fair to the audience, we could go on with a smiling face, but behind, like backstage it was a lot of problems. And to do, I mean, we couldn’t give the audience what they wanted, actually."

MY HEART IS CRYING, EVERYTIME YOU WALK AWAY I AM DIEING!!!

I love this band!!!!

BRING THEM TO PROGPOWER! BRING THEM TO PROGPOWER!!!!