Pink Floyd - Dark Side of the Moon, Animals
Porcupine Tree - Deadwing
My Dying Bride - Turn Loose The Swans
Morbid Angel - Alters of Madness
Death - Symbolic
Madder Mortem - Desiderata
The Beatles - St. Peppers

Mumblefood said:
skipping tracks is for faggots. Or people who listen to shit bands, then i understand because the artists suck at album construction and instead think in terms of individual songs, and you may as well not waste your time :)

And you wonder why I called you a douche bag.

T3hLep4rAffinity said:
And you wonder why I called you a douche bag.

you're actually really bad at making coherent statements. Are you implying that you LOVE skipping songs? You know, this is very much so related to the whole "instant gratification" thing i mentioned in the other thread. I'm going to go check that other thread to see if you've actually said anything worthwhile or just made sweeping, meaningless comments again. Good luck in the future.

Mumblefood said:
you're actually really bad at making coherent statements. Are you implying that you LOVE skipping songs? You know, this is very much so related to the whole "instant gratification" thing i mentioned in the other thread. I'm going to go check that other thread to see if you've actually said anything worthwhile or just made sweeping, meaningless comments again. Good luck in the future.

I think you know what I'm trying to say in both threads. If you didn't pick it up by now, I was trying to say "I disagree with you. Now I am going to use unnecessary actions to show where I stand on the matter. I am intentionally being vague because I do not feel I need to go into detail about why I feel this way."

well ok then. But why bother posting on a message board if you don't actually feel like discussing something? do you come here just to post a line or two in a couple threads just to kill time? You know, this place was VERRRY different 3 or 4 years ago. People like you didn't fit in, they were made fun of.

Mumblefood said:
well ok then. But why bother posting on a message board if you don't actually feel like discussing something? do you come here just to post a line or two in a couple threads just to kill time? You know, this place was VERRRY different 3 or 4 years ago. People like you didn't fit in, they were made fun of.

I love discussing things, I just don't love joining threads where everyone bitches at eachother for something that caused the thread to go completely off subject. This board has gotten completely boring lately and there hasn't been any real discussions at all.

this board got pretty boring a long time ago, IMHO... i just decided to start posting here again recently. Also, if we WERE to discuss what we are discussing, what would i call the thread? "album contruction vs. individual songs"? if you ask me, it's not really off topic from this thread.

Mumblefood said:
skipping tracks is for faggots. Or people who listen to shit bands, then i understand because the artists suck at album construction and instead think in terms of individual songs, and you may as well not waste your time :)

What a stupid thing to say. Album construction and flow between songs doesn't negate liking a song in and of itself, and there is absolutely no problem with listening to a bunch of songs individually, without having to listen to each album.

You can get more out of a song when listened to in the context of an album, ill agree with that. But listen to a cd enough, then you already know the context, and do not need the surrounding songs - besides, by your logic making custom playlists is impossible, which is utterly retarded. Its even a lot of fun making songs from different bands flow on to each other.

Oh, and id argue that Orchid and Morningrise lacked careful album construction, each song forming a piece in and of itself, without the need for context (TAIT aside, which steals part of the song before it). Does this make Opeth shit?

the_3_toed_sloth said:
besides, by your logic making custom playlists is impossible, which is utterly retarded. Its even a lot of fun making songs from different bands flow on to each other.

...man, if you only knew who i was. :p Perhaps i didn't explain properly. Music is, in my opinion, best heard in large chunks of related things, not in 3-4 or even 8-12 minute complete "songs". I treat music as an experience. I like my music/albums to have FLOW... that doesn't mean no silence between tracks, that is fine. Silence is as much a tool as noise is. It means, the times when music affects me the strongest is when i have a draining 1-2 hour experience with it, where there is no interruption, the songs naturally proceed one to the next, and they are all related to a common "goal". Of course this isn't always possible, but it's amazing the number of people who have NEVER thought of music much this way. The point i am trying to make is, what makes a good band to me is someone who understands this and creates albums accordingly.

Looking for a Job said:
if bands wanted you to listen to an album from beginning to end each time, why even divide into songs? what's the point

Stop fans from bitching. People always bitch about not having track "breaks", trust me on this, because i get asked about it all the time.

Mumblefood said:
...man, if you only knew who i was. :p Perhaps i didn't explain properly. Music is, in my opinion, best heard in large chunks of related things, not in 3-4 or even 8-12 minute complete "songs". I treat music as an experience. I like my music/albums to have FLOW... that doesn't mean no silence between tracks, that is fine. Silence is as much a tool as noise is. It means, the times when music affects me the strongest is when i have a draining 1-2 hour experience with it, where there is no interruption, the songs naturally proceed one to the next, and they are all related to a common "goal". Of course this isn't always possible, but it's amazing the number of people who have NEVER thought of music much this way. The point i am trying to make is, what makes a good band to me is someone who understands this and creates albums accordingly.

I like how you reiterated what id already agreed to (that careful album construction can make a listening experience better), while ignoring the entire point of my post (that this does not negate listening to songs individually, at least when you know an album well enough to do this).

...True, it made you look pretty ridiculous, having just told someone off earlier for not arguing properly on an internet forum, but i suppose "being who you are" you can apparently get away with this.

Look, i know what you are saying. And Id agree, if i thought most cds were constructed like that. But i dont think that they are, and i see no problem at all in getting enjoyment from a single song.

the_3_toed_sloth said:
I like how you reiterated what id already agreed to (that careful album construction can make a listening experience better), while ignoring the entire point of my post (that this does not negate listening to songs individually, at least when you know an album well enough to do this).

...True, it made you look pretty ridiculous, having just told someone off earlier for not arguing properly on an internet forum, but i suppose "being who you are" you can apparently get away with this.

Look, i know what you are saying. And Id agree, if i thought most cds were constructed like that. But i dont think that they are, and i see no problem at all in getting enjoyment from a single song.

Ok, i will go into detail then. The first thing i said, about if you knew who i was... what i do, is i MAKE compilations, i spend MONTHS AND MONTHS sometimes on compilations, and i give "individual" songs context with other songs, so in essence i am making my own album contructions. I find the end result is that the song now has much more meaning and is so much more enjoyable than it would be on it's own. It's the old 1+1=3 concept. The whole is greater than the sum of the parts. When i find songs i really like, i put them in my "songs for mixes" folder, and i use it for that one day. I waste a LOT of time simply thinking about ways to construct albums out of the songs of others. I TOLD YOU that i like listening to songs in a certain context more. I don't know what you mean by saying i ignored the point. The point was you can still listen to individual songs, correct? well i said that it's better when it's not just an individual song. What else did you want me to say? Yes, you can do that, but it's not as good? isn't that the same thing?

Looking for a Job said:
that's the case with most bands. however, even the majority of the ones that want the album feel to it still divide them into songs. BTW, why do you care about listening to an "album"? just because of the length? what if a band decided that half of an album was dedicated to one thing, and the other half was dedicated to something completely different (whatever that means)

Part of it is length, part of it is because i don't think a subject or feeling can be completely explored in such a short time. I think it needs to be something you sort of "get lost" in, which is hard to do in 4 minutes. If a band were to do half an album dedicated to one thing, and the other half not, i would probably not really want to listen to it all together. I would listen to the one part when i wanted it, and the other part when i wanted it. It's not necessarily about being on the same piece of physical space, but i'd say after listening to the one thing, i wouldn't want to go on to the next thing that is unrelated right away, and i might stop the disc. It really depends. What it comes down to is that I like big chunks of related things, and not small chunks that just do whatever.