Dream Evil cancel PPUSA, Replacement Announced

A band I absolutely don't care about replaced by a band I absolutely love. Awesome!!!

But seeing how many people were looking forward to DE I think I'll have to give that last CD of theirs another chance haha.

Edit: and reading the comments, I'm really surprised at how many people are more familiar with DE than Forbidden! Maybe DE have been around longer than I thought...and come to think of it Forbidden was defunct for about a decade.

It really sickens me that DE fucked this up. They were my number 1 priority this year. Unprofessional is a criminal understatement. It seems to me they just didn't really have any interest to play here and took none of this visa issue seriously. Stupid is as stupid does. You know, DREAM EVIL, I at least like to be kissed when I'm being fucked. Looking forward to FORBIDDEN very much, though. Great to see a thrash band hit this festival!

The more I'm listening to Forbidden, the more I'm thinking Therion is going to have to up their game even more. Dream Evil, while I'm sure would've been energetic, is one thing but following a good thrash act is going to be tough as hell and Therion are one of my favorite bands period.

I'm thinking that with less than 100 tickets remaining, maybe the addition of Forbidden will spike ticket sales and blow out the remaining tickets to sell out the fest! Fingers crossed! :D

I am totally bummed out to hear this, as I have been listening to DE's entire catalog for the last 2 months now, basically non-stop, so I could remember all the lyrics to sing along to :(

Hell, I even custom ordered an "Evilized" T-shirt Saturday morning, to wear for their show, and ended up finding out about this Saturday night. Oh well, I still want the shirt.

I hope this doesn't put DE in the same category as Nevermore. I'm still dying to see DE live one day. I've been coming to PP now for many years, and had heard that Glenn didn't like DE's music, so I thought there'd be no chance of me ever seeing them. And then when I saw the video last year, and I instantly recognized their picture before any name or music was played, I think I was the 1st person screaming for them! :loco: Please Glenn, give them one more chance?

Saw both of their sets on 70k. I didn't know anything about the band going in (besides the genre and era) and they were quite enjoyable to listen to. Even with losing a great band to another great band, it's still a disappointment since you don't know the songs and lyrics.

...I explored all realistic options and a U.S. based melodic, power metal band on the same level of Dream Evil in terms of instant name appeal on 3 weeks notice was simply impossible....

Glenn

I'm a loyal supporter of Progpower because of the unique opportunities it presents to see bands, the camaraderie of the fans, the accessibility to the musicians and to support bands/distributors of progressive and power metal. I appreciate all that you do and know that it's often a thankless task, ( minus the brass balls award and all..)

Here's my 0.02 on the disappointment. Yes the band F'd up.

Not that I know anything about promoting shows...but this statement in your post got me going wtf.. Why was finding a premier melodic/power/prog band so important? Minus having somebody who sucks on stage of course. The show was already almost sold out, so marketing for the sake of ticket sales was already out of the question. yes? I love that PP is about promoting a specific genre that doesn't get much recognition in this country. One of the main reasons I support it. But when you had to find a replacement, was finding an up and coming band within the same scope of the spirit of PP out of the question in lieu of finding a band that already had 'instant name appeal'? I'm sure the PP community could have been a valuable resource in finding somebody who would have jumped at the opportunity to be on the PP stage. Reaching out to a new,perhaps even unsigned band would have been more in the spirit of PP (in my opinion).

Just a thought...I know it sucks being a perfectionist:p

This concludes my feeling of needing to rant a little bit on the disappointment. Forbidden seems well received so I'll keep an open mind, if not at least, an open beer.:kickass:

. But when you had to find a replacement, was finding an up and coming band within the same scope of the spirit of PP out of the question in lieu of finding a band that already had 'instant name appeal'?

It was.

If all I cared about were the tickets already sold, then I would have went that route. I could have saved an assload of money on a new band and just pocketed it.

I can't do that.

For better or worse, I have a personal standard that I set for myself with this show. I had a moral obligation to replace a band of a high slot with an equal calibur name if at all possible to help ease the disappointment. I have no doubt this forum would have supported any decision I made. However, this forum is the minority when it comes to attendance. The general population that attends would have crucified me for replacing Dream Evil with an essentially unknown band.

Furthermore, from a moral business perspective, a band like Forbidden does actually help me with the last minute local Atlanta market push. I do want to sell the remaining tickets...the right way.

It was.

If all I cared about were the tickets already sold, then I would have went that route. I could have saved an assload of money on a new band and just pocketed it.

I can't do that.

For better or worse, I have a personal standard that I set for myself with this show. I had a moral obligation to replace a band of a high slot with an equal calibur name if at all possible to help ease the disappointment. I have no doubt this forum would have supported any decision I made. However, this forum is the minority when it comes to attendance. The general population that attends would have crucified me for replacing Dream Evil with an essentially unknown band.

Furthermore, from a moral business perspective, a band like Forbidden does actually help me with the last minute local Atlanta market push. I do want to sell the remaining tickets...the right way.

That is exactly the answer I was expecting Glenn. Thumbs WAY up!! :headbang:

It was.

I can't do that.

Well answered. Makes better sense now. :worship: Thanks Glenn! RAWK!

Weren't all the 9/11 conspirators here on valid visas? That may have something to do with it.

I think folks who are griping about the U.S. visa process forget how hard travel was in the mid-late 80's in Europe... especially Eastern Europe. In my 20's I traveled a good bit, and unless you had a lead time of over 18 months, you just were not getting into certain "modern" countries.

Considering the number of bands in the past 3 years who have succesfully navigated this visa issue with nary a hiccup (c'mon - if DGM can get their visas sorted out for ONE WEEKEND in the States...), it really surprises me that this continues to be an issue... other than the fact that some folks just love to procrastinate.

Weren't all the 9/11 conspirators here on valid visas? That may have something to do with it.

I think folks who are griping about the U.S. visa process forget how hard travel was in the mid-late 80's in Europe... especially Eastern Europe. In my 20's I traveled a good bit, and unless you had a lead time of over 18 months, you just were not getting into certain "modern" countries.

Considering the number of bands in the past 3 years who have succesfully navigated this visa issue with nary a hiccup (c'mon - if DGM can get their visas sorted out for ONE WEEKEND in the States...), it really surprises me that this continues to be an issue... other than the fact that some folks just love to procrastinate.

Dude, whatever.... the VISA issuing and approval process in this country hasn't been good for a long time. We've beaten this horse to death on the forum before so it makes no sense to continue discussing it. Unfortunately, in this particular case, it was mainly Dream Evil's fault. However, the folks in the govt. here *always* have some room to make people's lives easier in the event of an error. Telling "boo hoo, go back to the end of the line" is as shitty as it gets.

It was.

I can't do that.

...did you consider asking Evergrey do a third show?
That would have been...god I dunno what that would have been. I have seen them twice in one week on three separate occasions, but to do it in ATL, with ISOT for one of them...wow.

Evergrey will be playing in Worcester, Ma on the Saturday night of ProgPower, so that's why it would not have been possible, besides, even if they were available, I'm sure Glenn was thinking of replacing DE with a band that would help sell tickets, since Evergrey was already playing Wednesday and Thursday, that wouldn't be a great idea...although I would love it! Lol

Evergrey will be playing in Worcester, Ma on the Saturday night of ProgPower, so that's why it would not have been possible, besides, even if they were available, I'm sure Glenn was thinking of replacing DE with a band that would help sell tickets, since Evergrey was already playing Wednesday and Thursday, that wouldn't be a great idea...although I would love it! Lol

I know I know...wishful thinking. I want Evergrey to have a long run in the USA and the more venues they hit the better.

Everybody gets to feel stingy sometimes, eh?

woooooooooooooooooooooo 2 weeks now , i cant wait , i think DE really didnt want to go the USA or this show ,because if they did everything would have gone smooth . glenn works amazinging hard on making this festival enjoyable for all who go , and to have a band cancel really makes things tougher ,racing around trying to find replacement and etc ... he certainly does not deserve to go through this . i think Forbidden will really bring another type sound old school thrashhhhhhhhhhh