First Headliner Announcement (and roster change)

I think what the naysayers are forgetting is that this can be classified as an Iced Earth REUNION. The classic lineup with Barlow as the frontman. That is why many of us are saying that this sucker is gonna sell out within hours. Glenn did a great job landing this. Now, the only question remains is how can he top this? With IE, the PPUSA name has been cemented. Now, who does Friday night?

and let us not forget Brent Smedley on drums - the reason that the Alive in Athens recording sounded so damn good. Jon said so himself. Now if they could just get McDonough back on bass, we'd be set. :heh:

:kickass:

Damn fine job Glenn. Generic? I think not. Truthfully, I'm no Riverside or Andromeda fan by any stretch of the imagination. But I know that each band appeals to many people. Between those two bands, Jon Oliva's Pain, and Iced Earth... plus now Rob Rock!... this will be a sellout, no-brainer. All of the other bands are just icing on the cake for me. Curious about Serenity, Elvenking and Volbeat in particular. And S.U.E. is great on disc! Can't wait to see them perform that material on stage.

Generic? hardly. :rolleyes:

Strongest.Lineup.Ever. ...and I don't even like every band. :cool:

This is the most excited I've been about ProgPower since Therion was announced for PPUSAVI!!! :headbang:

edit: @ High Speed:
People have the right to express their opinion, through the forum and/or sales. Just because they don't think like you doesn't give you the right to tell them their opinion is invalid and worthless without points. Such a post becomes counter productive.

That said, I absolutely have no idea how anyone can call this lineup Generic, myself, as I have to agree with Pyramaze51 that this has to be the single most diverse lineup I've seen so far. I wouldn't expect another show pushing the boundries of "ProgPower" this far again. Which I consider a shame, since I think this to be the best lineup so far easily since PP4, and pretty much on par with that year and the expectations I had.

HELL YES!!!!

ICED EARTH AND ROB ROCK! Oh man! Sure, I'm disappointed at the cancellation of Astral Doors (They were one of the bands I was most looking forward to), but Rob Rock definitely makes up for it!

Half of my sig has come true, now let's bring the other half! Morgana Lefay, here we come!

I think that Jon has accepted that Iced Earth will never be the Rolling Stones. He would haven't had invited Matt back if he still wanted to do tour after tour.

Everybody seems to be claiming that this will ensure a sellout. I don't know that I agree. It's not like IE doesn't tour, or that they won't tour after this. If they don't tour, then yeah, it will sell out. If they announce a tour, I don't think IE will really draw a hell of a lot.

I'm still psyched about seeing them though. :headbang:

Nah, because Barlow is back with the IE it means that touring would have to be sacrificed to an extent, so the band won't be doing any massive tours as far as we know. Even if they were, this is the first confirmed IE show in the US since the Glorious Burden tour, and it's the first confirmed IE show with Matt Barlow in years. This will sell out, and fast.

Rob Rock??? Holy freeking hell!!! For those of you who have never seen him live, you are in for a serious, serious treat. I was able to see Impelliteri back in 97'-98' and words can't describe how simply mind-blowing Rob's vocals were....Of all the hundreds of shows I've seen through the years, this guy has some of the best live pipes I have ever heard.

Glenn, you just booked a guy who will turn heads for sure. Congrats.......

Looks like: http://says-it.com/concertticket/

Iced Earth is an excellent addition to the line up! They were one of my very first ever metal concerts (thanks, Mom!) and it will be great to see them again!

GINA!! - I remember that night!! As I recall, you were in a BIG hurry to get there!!! :heh:

ICED FUCKING EARTH!!!Way to go, Glenn - You did it!!!! JOP and IE - My two favorite metal entities on the planet - on the same bill - SHIT!!!!!!!!!!!!

Chris :headbang:

Glenn,

Don't take it as criticism,take it as it is...just one opinion .As a musician and a collector of fine progressive music,the lineup doesn't have that one kick ass band that makes the trip to Atlanta worthwhile.By generic I was talking about 4 or 5 of the bands,not the whole package,whereas in past years I can look from top to bottom and say there were at least 7 bands that blew my mind previous to ProgPower and I just had to see.This year there are 3,and Iced Earth would be the fourth if I wasn't still pissed about the whole "Ripper" thing that went down.
.At $2000+ for a vacation,it gets harder and harder to convince myself to head down,even though it is NOT just about the music,its the entire atmosphere.Add to that a wife who doesn't particularly like progressive music,and then throw the yearly hotel room struggle and the constant bullshit at work scheduling vacations etc...into the mix and it gets to be a headache.Last year was the first of the 5 that we stayed near the airport and rented a car,and it was by far the most stress free Atlanta vacation yet,but somewhere we lost that sense of community thats always been there in Midtown.This year by the time it came to decide whether we were going or not,the hotels were all booked.
All in all,it added up to a "Generic" vacation,one which I'll pass on.
Glenn,as you well know,your festival is awesome and I truly appreciate the time and effort you put into this every year.You are not going to hit the "Sweet Spot" every year for everybody,but you've hit on 5 of 7 years for me,and thats pretty good.I'll certainly be saving my pennies for next year with the hopes that you kick my ass once again,until then....Beyond Fear in 2009! ;)