Glenn, what are the chances these guys will be booked for PPUSA?

mjtilley

Mar 16, 2007
Glenn, I was wondering what your opinion was of a few bands & what are the chances of booking them for PPUSA? The first band that immediately comes to mind is Wintersun, I think this would be a major booking for the festival. There is also Grave Digger, Manowar, Falconer, Doro, Cellador, ReVamp (if there is still a ReVamp depending on what Floor does), Beardfish, Opeth & Naio Ssaion. Now I know some of these bands would have visa issues or cost too much, but I'm wanting to get inside your head & see what you think about these bands & if you think they'd work in the PPUSA format. Thanks for your time Glenn!!

As for me, I was wondering if hard rocking bands like JADED HEART, BLOODBOUND, LOVE.MIGHT.KILL and ECLIPSE could play at PPUSA in the future. That would be killer.

Glenn, I was wondering what your opinion was of a few bands & what are the chances of booking them for PPUSA? The first band that immediately comes to mind is Wintersun, I think this would be a major booking for the festival. There is also Grave Digger, Manowar, Falconer, Doro, Cellador, ReVamp (if there is still a ReVamp depending on what Floor does), Beardfish, Opeth & Naio Ssaion. Now I know some of these bands would have visa issues or cost too much, but I'm wanting to get inside your head & see what you think about these bands & if you think they'd work in the PPUSA format. Thanks for your time Glenn!!

Just guessing, but there's probably no chance in hell of Manowar playing.

Manowar costs way too much. I think Glen even said he approached them once. I would love Grave Digger. The only problem with them though is that their cost might be too much considering what they would draw. They're one of the last bucket list bands for me, but it's probably true.

I think to book Doro she would have to be a headliner and I don't know if that would work for Progpower. Plus, she tours the states enough where it isn't necessary.

Revamp I don't get. I like Floor as a vocalist, but I think that album is just bland.

Beardfish I would love. Some would say they're too prog rock, but I think if Haken can play, Beardfish can play.

I think Opeth is too big now to play though. Don't they pretty much sell out most places?

I can't speak for Glenn regarding most of the bands you mentioned, mjtilley, but I believe that nomisofsiman is right about Grave Digger. As for Manowar, they don't really need this fest. In my personal opinion, I think they would sell this show out too quickly, and thus bring in a lot of the meatheaded metal fans that aren't really welcome in this kind of atmosphere. Moving onto Falconer, my girlfriend has pretty much led the grassroots movement of getting them at this festival, and it appears that the main reason why they haven't played is due to the singer's commitment to musical theater in his home country. Since Glenn books all of the bands over a year in advance, it's too early for Matthias Blad to keep a window of time like that open. I would say that nomisofsiman hit the nail on the head with Doro as well. Cellador actually played the Thursday night show for ProgPower VIII, and their weak performance probably guaranteed that they'll never play the festival proper. Besides, they currently don't have a full lineup. Finally, Glenn tried to book Opeth for ProgPower III, but it wasn't in the cards. Since then, they've grown too big for the festival.

As for your request, labrekk, I was worried that Pink Cream 69's ho-hum performance was going to ruin the chances of bands like the ones you mentioned ever playing the fest. However, the Pretty Maids set has restored some faith in me.

By the way, mjtilley, none of this was meant to shoot down your hopes. I just wanted to offer some perspective. I wouldn't mind seeing a few of the bands on your list at this festival some day. In the meantime, there are still plenty of bands to enjoy.

Stay metal. Never rust.
Albert

as much as I love "older" Manowar (anything after Triumph of Steel i could care less about), I would imagine as nomisofsiman already stated, they would demand to much money to play, make unreasonable, Wacken Open Air type requests for their rider, no signing session, and a diva attitude so massive that it would put all other bands who have played PPUSA previously collectively to shame.

as much as I love "older" Manowar (anything after Triumph of Steel i could care less about), I would imagine as nomisofsiman already stated, they would demand to much money to play, make unreasonable, Wacken Open Air type requests for their rider, no signing session, and a diva attitude so massive that it would put all other bands who have played PPUSA previously collectively to shame.

I don't think Center Stage is big enough for Joey DeMaio's ego.

Even if it made financial sense I adamantly hope that Manowar never gets the chance at the PPUSA stage. I've not heard a single good story about them. This fest is better than them.

Opeth sellout venues as big as Centerstage on their own.

Beardfish would be cool as hell. Cellador already played, but I believe it was on a Thursday night bill. Falconer is a great idea.

Grave Digger, sadly, is vanishingly unlikely to ever play PPUSA. Or ever play the states again. I desperately hope I'm wrong about that, but I suspect they're at the stage in their career where they could care less about invading the US market. It would probably take a pretty sweet deal to lure them here for just one show, although I suspect Glenn may be wrong about the kind of attention they would draw as a headliner. A large majority of the people who are attending PPUSA travel to get there and are familiar with European metal. I think those are exactly the kind of people who would appreciate the chance to see them and maybe make the extra effort to attend what could be GD's last ever US show. I know if another stateside fest booked them, I would make a special trip just to see that no matter who else is on the bill or where its happening.

I think Met-Al covered a good bit of info on some of these bands, but I feel like I should give an honest take on each of them as well. And I will preface this response by saying that I really enjoy some of these bands: Wintersun and Falconer are two uber favorites of mine and Grave Digger, Manowar, and Opeth are totally amazing and classic as well...but...

Wintersun - This would have been a no-brainer could it have happened six or seven years ago. Their debut still had jaws dropped and people hungry for a show stateside. Just on reaction to that first album alone I think this band would have made a solid middle of the pack band. Now, it's been 8 years since that debut was released, the new album brought the band on tour here in the States with plans for future touring meaning a festival appearance wouldn't have the same special quality that it would have had. But, who knows, with their renewed interest in playing shows I'd accept them at PPUSA gladly.

Grave Digger - amazing band, but unfortunately the vast majority of American metalheads either don't know them or just don't give a shit. I think they played a show in NYC not terribly long ago and I heard maybe 40-50 people showed up. They've got a bajillion albums and are very highly respected within the heavy and power metal scenes, but if they can't sell tickets, I doubt they'd get a nod to anchor a high slot in the lineup. But, who knows? Virgin Steele played one year, so anything's possible. But don't hold your breath.

Manowar - See above for number of albums, plus supposed respect within the scene, plus how many people actually show up their shows in the USA. These guys are fucking American and they can't get more than 100-200 a night even in big cities here. They play certain shows in Europe, and they're selling out much larger venues. A festival here would make sense, but perhaps not one that only holds 1,200. And I'm not even sure their guarantee would warrant an invite to Maryland Deathfest, the festival that supposedly shelled out 22,000 for Electric Wizard.

Falconer - Met-Al's insight to this (through his gf Orbweaver) was actually something I hadn't considered at first, but it makes sense. I love these guys. But my thought it that if they were able to play PPUSA, they would have already. I'm sure they're always on the list of bands Glenn wants to book but perhaps gets a quick no for...whatever reason. They can't do it financially, they can't fit it into their schedules, etc. They likely all work day jobs and can't get away perhaps. It sucks, but it's the way it is. I still think they'd fit very well in a fourth slot at PPUSA.

Doro - Once again: prolific, high regard within the scene, no one goes to shows in America. Would Doro sell tickets? Maybe a few. But I doubt she or her band would be the blockbuster you'd want them to be.

Cellador - Does this band even exist any more? They played PPUSA once when they had kind of a solid lineup, but I know some people who know some people and I'm not sure if Chris has a band behind him ready to play more shows. And without an album to follow up Enter Deception (An album I do enjoy), I don't know what merit they'd have to return to Center Stage.

ReVamp - Nowhere near the notoriety of After Forever, and Floor looks like she could have a future with Nightwish. I wouldn't hold my breath...but we'll see.

Beardfish - We don't get too many prog-rock bands for ProgPower, although bands with less metal in their sound like Enchant or Riverside have gone over quite well. I would welcome this band to the lineup.

Opeth - too big, and they tour all the time. That's just it. They do well when they tour the States. This is like suggesting Dream Theater play here I think. But if there's a way to get a "special" out of them, I think it'd be for them to play one of their albums from front to back. If we could secure that as a special show, it would certainly sell tickets. But I'm not really ever expecting that.

Naio Ssaion - never heard of them. Can't make any assessment of this. I would say since I've never heard of them then probably a lot of people haven't either. I looked them up and see they're European, and have two albums. And they're sort of a weird band. That intrigues me, but I can't say either way on this one.

Manowar - See above for number of albums, plus supposed respect within the scene, plus how many people actually show up their shows in the USA. These guys are fucking American and they can't get more than 100-200 a night even in big cities here. They play certain shows in Europe, and they're selling out much larger venues. A festival here would make sense, but perhaps not one that only holds 1,200. And I'm not even sure their guarantee would warrant an invite to Maryland Deathfest, the festival that supposedly shelled out 22,000 for Electric Wizard.

I agree with your assessment except for one thing..instead of playing a full U.S. tour to half empty venues, Manowar now plays several "select" shows across the U.S. and ramps up the ticket price to $75-$100 (ridiculous for just the band and their perma-opener HolyHell), this seems to work for them now as their shows at The Palladium in Worcester, MA (venue holds around 1,000) have either sold out or come close

Grave Digger, sadly, is vanishingly unlikely to ever play PPUSA. Or ever play the states again. I desperately hope I'm wrong about that, but I suspect they're at the stage in their career where they could care less about invading the US market. It would probably take a pretty sweet deal to lure them here for just one show, although I suspect Glenn may be wrong about the kind of attention they would draw as a headliner. A large majority of the people who are attending PPUSA travel to get there and are familiar with European metal. I think those are exactly the kind of people who would appreciate the chance to see them and maybe make the extra effort to attend what could be GD's last ever US show. I know if another stateside fest booked them, I would make a special trip just to see that no matter who else is on the bill or where its happening.

There would be interest. The problem is the interest won't equal the cost, as they probably would be paid headliner money and as much as I love them, I don't know if that would equal out.

Lot's of spot on analysis.

A band has to want to play the festival considering our unique logistics. If a band wants to treat it as a headliner show plus everyone else opens...then pass.

While touring bands are an option, it has to make sense from a draw perspective for our audience.

Big bands = big fees. Sometimes it's worth it..sometimes it's not.

If you tour the States regularly and and don't draw 100 people, then your draw hurts your chances.

Prog rock bands...simply a matter of so many slots and metal goes over bigger.

Veteran bands that know the U.S. is not going to be a market for them are not eager to lose money or even break even for an appearance here. It's their job and they need to get paid for their time. Sometimes, that fee isn't worth the actual draw.

Day jobs do interfere with invitations...even a year ahead of time.

I agree with your assessment except for one thing..instead of playing a full U.S. tour to half empty venues, Manowar now plays several "select" shows across the U.S. and ramps up the ticket price to $75-$100 (ridiculous for just the band and their perma-opener HolyHell), this seems to work for them now as their shows at The Palladium in Worcester, MA (venue holds around 1,000) have either sold out or come close

Meaning, if they can do this on their own they likely don't need a festival to invite them. Very DIY, which I respect. I was alluding to their tour with Rhapsody, which I heard was awesome for those in attendance, but not so awesome on the "we want to make money doing this" front.