Glenn, what are the chances these guys will be booked for PPUSA?

This band was going to headline MDF until they pulled out a few weeks before and they are still one of the most requested for MDF, CIT, and any other 'extreme' fest in the country....I definitely agree with your general point, although you're missing the greatest of the ones people 'care' about, BLIND GUARDIAN, but Sodom is very well loved and respected round these parts. I think a lot of it has to do with the fact that, unlike Rage or Grave Digger, punk kids dig em too.

Sodom has been canceling tours since the 80s dude.....
We had tickets for Sodom (with Slayer opening) at the Cabaret Metro in Chicago. They kind of did it to themselves because they didn't make the efforts that Destruction and especially Kreator did in those days to get more well known in the States. I know some people WANT to see them. I just don't know how well a Sodom headlining tour would do. I mean, I am an older fan of theirs, but I wouldn't say if they did a headlining tour with no one I cared about opening that I would run out to see it.

Fair enough, but you're kind of comparing apples and oranges here. At the Iced Earth show, you were selling tickets for the Iced Earth show. People wanted to support you indeed, and it's awesome that they did that. But as you said, those 100 people you sold tickets to would likely have attended the show regardless of GITR being there (no offense meant).

Yeah, I know what you are saying exactly.
i know there were not advance tix sold, but my point being that, just like with Iced Earth, how many of those 300 would have gone with or without the band playing? That was my only point.

Once again, any band that could TRULY pull 300 locally is frickin' gold!

I just had another idea for a headliner for ProgPower that would be killer, maybe next year have Demons & Wizards headline with Allen/Lande, although I do believe Jorn & Glenn has issues if my memory serves me correctly.

You are letting your fanboyism get in the way here....

They have been on Nuc Blast and Napalm.
Both labels have MANY European bands who have toured successfully here in the States.

Don't you think that if there US album sales (IE - the "interest") were strong, they would have toured here, esp within the past 10 years?

Right, Grave Digger is a career band that has alot of value in alot of European territories. To tour the US, they would need to break even at the very least. They're not 18 year old kids that can afford to lose money. So doing a package where they'd get paid like 300 bucks a night opening for a bigger band is out of the question, and no promoter would want to pay them 5 grand a night because the promoter would lose money. So demand doesn't meet the supply.

They must need a boatload of financial support if a New Jersey-based band can't ever play a show in the US again....

The singer and guitarist are English and were touring with the band on a visa. The label was fronting thousands of dollars a year just to keep them in the band. Forget tour support, promotion, marketing, etc.

Also, let me just go on record and say that Intromental's latest signing, melo-death band SILENMARA had 300+ paying people just to see them at a show in South Florida this past Saturday. m/

We did pretty damn good this past Saturday, its a very gem of a show/fest that draw as much as the cutler bay fest drew. Out of 1100+ wrist bands sold we had around 290 that said Silenmara on them :) Doesn't happen all the time so we defiantly savored the moment m/ m/

That's fuckin awesome! It's very heartening to hear of Melo-death getting that much love. Hometown or not, 300 local is a very nice sign.

Grats to you guys.

Jason wasn't being a dick; it read as if that band was described as being the sole instigator of 300 ticket sales.

Thanks,
Yeah, and once again, that was exactly it.
I mean, let's be honest. VERY few local underground metal bands are a constant 300 person draw.
That's why I reacted the way I did when I looked up the gig and saw it wasn't their own show, but them performing as part of a festival.

Even with people saying they were there to see them, there are many other factors that could have brought them there.

Either way though, sounds like it was good exposure for them so that's good.

Glenn, I was wondering what your opinion was of a few bands & what are the chances of booking them for PPUSA? The first band that immediately comes to mind is Wintersun, I think this would be a major booking for the festival. There is also Grave Digger, Manowar, Falconer, Doro, Cellador, ReVamp (if there is still a ReVamp depending on what Floor does), Beardfish, Opeth & Naio Ssaion. Now I know some of these bands would have visa issues or cost too much, but I'm wanting to get inside your head & see what you think about these bands & if you think they'd work in the PPUSA format. Thanks for your time Glenn!!

...53 posts and a Dream Theater picture. Hopefully everyone gave this person a break.:D

I was replying to your comment of, "There would be interest"

I have liked GD for a VERY long time, so trust me, I am not bashing them.

There's just some bands who have never had love here.
Many of our german friends such as Rage, Running Wild, Sodom, GD, etc are all examples.

It's almost as if people stop with Accept, Helloween, Kreator, and / or Destruction. LOL..........

So you took what I said out of context then. Because I did say there wouldn't be enough interest for the cost.

This band was going to headline MDF until they pulled out a few weeks before and they are still one of the most requested for MDF, CIT, and any other 'extreme' fest in the country....I definitely agree with your general point, although you're missing the greatest of the ones people 'care' about, BLIND GUARDIAN, but Sodom is very well loved and respected round these parts. I think a lot of it has to do with the fact that, unlike Rage or Grave Digger, punk kids dig em too.

Blind Guardian doesn't fit with those others because overall, when they come here they do pretty well and have a solid following, especially for a power metal band.

So you took what I said out of context then. Because I did say there wouldn't be enough interest for the cost.

Nope,
I read your entire post.
My point is I don't agree there is interest. Period.
Not here in the States. There honestly just never really has been.
Maybe over time it will increase.

Heck, even Saxon for the first time in almost 25 years is just "finally" regenerating some interest.

Now I get overall your point of "the interest doesn't justify the cost" simply because that is true. What I will argue is even the use of the word "interest" as it is almost non-existent.