Hopefully a new seating arrangement this year? (all seating threads merged..ENOUGH...

Anakinnnn

Dec 5, 2003
Visit site
Since everyone is pretty hot on reading this board right now, I figured it would be an appropriate time to address this issue. SEATING, SAVING SEATS, GOLD BADGE SEATING?, BAGS HOLDING SEATS, ONE PERSON HOLDING 20 SEATS.....yada yada yada........

I love the festival and I love the show. I go with friends, usually 4 people in my group typically.....and I also go to SEE friends I only get to see at the show.....but first and foremost, I go to see the BANDS and that's where my dilemma comes in.

Every year so far I have ever been, there has been a MAJOR incident concerning seating for me and my group (again, usually 4 people so we aren't talking about 20 people trying to sit together.)

So let me talk about this topic for a second and see what kind of feedback I get.

Here's what I wish for when it comes to the seating situation:

FIRST COME/FIRST SERVE: Seats need to be first come, first serve. This would mean that Gold Badge Members going in early have their shot at getting seats that are pretty decent. However, this doesn't really work out because of the holding seats issue I have next.

SAVING SEATS: Here's the contradiction to the last statement. Plainly put, saving seats doesn't work and just plain SUCKS. There is no real rule of people saving seats and everyone believes something different which of course creates chaos and differences of opinion.

BAGS SAVING SEATS: Again, plainly put, this is bullshit. The way I see it, is that a bag is the same as garbage. I will move it or throw it on the floor. However, people totally freak out around you and act like you are a jackass for doing so.......and then again, you have the problem of one or two people in a row with 18 bags thrown in the seats who say those seats are saved by the people's belongings.......which brings me to my next point.

PEOPLE SAVING MULTIPLE SEATS: I understand that people want to sit with their groups of friends. Hell, that's why I am writing this. I want the same thing. Not just for me, but for everyone. 3 or 4 people sitting in a row saving one or two seats.....fine.....no bitch here. It's the single individual saving a fucking ROW that creates a problem. This happened to me last year literally 10 times......I got so fed up, I just sat down and in turn created an "issue" with people who came back to their seats RIGHT before the lights turned off for the next band. They were all crazy wanting their seats back. TWO FUCKING ROWS with one person per row......that's 14 SEATS where I was trying to sit EMPTY but supposedly held. So me and my three friends sat down and I basically told the guy I was sitting here like it or not. So of course here comes the 14 other people back trickling in over the next 20 minutes or so after buying music or using the bathroom or getting a drink........and of course here I am being the asshole supposedly for trying to actually grab a seat and WAIT OUT the intermission in a seat so I could see the next damn show.

What's the solution here? Who's at fault? Is this unfair of me to sit in a seat with a bag in it? Is it unfair to take a group of seats that are supposedly held? Would it be a nice perk for gold badge members to have an assigned seat somewhere with their name on it or something? Or maybe even a section roped off for GB Members only regardless of being filled or not by a warm body?

I know a lot of people will respond with the typical "If it's empty, sit in it regardless......." But you know, that blanket statement doesn't really work either. There are cases where someone gets up and literally does go to the bathroom and come back.......or get a beer and come back. By themselves. And that's not fair to them. So you can't say saving seats is ridiculous because in those instances, that's unfair to those people who were holding the chair for the friend who left.

Am I alone here? Doesn't anyone else have these problems? I am not in the "in" crowd enough to have some kind of rite of passage to be able to choose where I seat either.......so the "niche" groups always seem to be able to find seats and that's fine, but it's just little old me and my friends who drive all the way from Texas to see a good show and want to sit down during certain bands and stand up for others.......but it would sure be nice to sit in a group of seats without nearly getting into fights or being so frustrated about NOT sitting somewhere even though the venue is half full of people and half full of seats with bags that I can't enjoy the show any longer.

I have said this is a MAJOR issue for me with the show before and I figured at this rate, there's probably no solution.....but I would even pay extra to avoid this frustration in the future......

Glenn? Comments?

Thanks in advance.

Anakin

I can totally sympathize with your situation. That being said, in the years I have been attending the fest, I find if you are polite, the people usually are too. Yippee38 and I have often been offered "saved seats" with the understanding if the savee returns we'll gladly return them their seats. I, being a girl, of course always wear fashionable, not comfortable, shoes, and always want to sit through a band or 2 each night. We have never been involved in a big fight or whatnot, but like I said, I think starting out being polite helps :)

If I put something on my chair, go to the bathroom during the intermission, find my stuff gone and you (or anyone else is in "my" seat) and you are not more than happy to get up and move somewhere else, yeah..I'd be pissed.

I only sit for bands I don;t care for... So I am standing for most of the time!
And my "group" is so diverse that we are never sitting together... I mean, all of us have different interests..

Angrafan said:
And my "group" is so diverse that we are never sitting together... I mean, all of us have different interests..

that's the most important factor IMO

so because 2 of my friends want to check out Zero Hour, and 5 of us want to go into the hall to drink, chat & smoke without bothering the people who DO want to hear Zero Hour, we can't save those seats?

ha ha ha, ok

the sand is waiting...

I dont think you should expect someone to not move the whole show. I never sit in a seat, I love being as close as possible so I never have to worry about seat saving but if someone wants to save his or her seat so be it. just get there early and save your own seat or two.

Man...I don't know where to begin with this one...

It would seem that you wish to stand when you want, sit where you want when you want...and that ain't gonna work my friend.

The reason ProgPower USA works so well is cuz of the caliber of the metal fans attending. It's (by far) the most polite crowd I've ever seen at any public gathering.

If I see a bag sitting in a seat, I assume that bag belongs to somebody, and I don't screw with it. For all I know, I could get the shit kicked out of me or get thrown out of the festival for messing with the wrong person's stuff. While I'm nervous about doing the same thing (leaving a bag of belongings) cuz any asshole could abscound with it, I've never had a problem. Hell, last year my group witnessed a styrofoam plate with pizza crust hold down a seat for an entire night. Occasionally, someone would come and sit in the seat for a short while, then very carefully replace the pizza crust, and move on...amazing courtesy...kinda dumb, but amazing!

My group of 4 goes to great pains to make sure that 1 or 2 of us is always in our selected seats for the evening. Is it a pain in the ass? Sure. We don't always get to "make the rounds" or hit the floor en masse...we have to coordinate and prioritize our roaming by band taste, etc. But...when we do "make rounds," we try to be courteous. Perfect example...my wife and I bailed for Therion's set last year (just not interested). We came back toward the end of the set to check on our buddies (brought a cold beer, checked if anyone needed a piss break), and we found people in our seats. Big deal? No. One of our buddies gladly let them have them for the Therion set, knowing we wouldn't be back, and we certainly didn't care.

I've also had (very few, mind you) a few assholes come and try to hustle a seat or two while one of us is on a short beer-run or piss-break, and these guys get politely told no...at first. After that, a more stern "no" will suffice, but I've never had anything escalate beyond that.

At this point, I'm not sure what I'm trying to say. Our group goes to a lot of effort and coordination to hold down our spots without causing problems for others. Your group should do the same rather than just banking on you all coming and going as you please.

I will agree with the fact that 1 person holding down an entire row because some of their 15 buddies MIGHT want to have a place to sit at some point in the next 7 hours is bullshit...but...what you gonna do?

ProgPower is an endurance fest...no doubt about it...just suck it up.

How's that for an essay...let the flaming begin...

Rock on!

I'm for saving seats.. how would you feel if you're there with a group of friends that want to sit together, get up and hit the bathroom to come back and find someone else in your seat with your bag of merch on the floor?

You'd be upset.

I go with now 5 people, we meet other people there from other states, we sit together every year, we hold seats that we get in early to get. It's a perk of GB holders. We dont all have to go to the bathroom at once as a group so we save seats... I see no problem with this.

If you're upset about this, get in line early, get in and find the seats you want if you're not a GB holder just like everyone else.

Last year our group of people was 7, we all sat together, at one time there was only 1 of us there for about 15 minutes, otherwise about 3-7 of us at all times dpeending on who was on the beer run or hitting the vendors or grabbing signatures.

I say just go early and get you seats if you have 4 people then two can stay while two go out to get stuff? I personally can't undertsand it becuase I think I may have sat down for a total of two songs for the whole 5 PPUSA's I have been too...

Bear

ashaman7122 said:
Hell, last year my group witnessed a styrofoam plate with pizza crust hold down a seat for an entire night. Occasionally, someone would come and sit in the seat for a short while, then very carefully replace the pizza crust, and move on...amazing courtesy...kinda dumb, but amazing!

Haha! I forgot about that damn pizza crust! And the kicker was that it had one of the best seats in the house!

:Smokin:

...come to think of it, that crust may have been bootlegging...hmmm...

Rakosh said:
Haha! I forgot about that damn pizza crust! And the kicker was that it had one of the best seats in the house!

:Smokin:

...come to think of it, that crust may have been bootlegging...hmmm...
It was saving a seat for its friend Beer, but sadly Beer never showed.

MadeInNewJersey said:

Cool...thanks for the clarification...

Must be a Jersey thing. In Texas, we'll just tell you to go fuck yourself.

And in the South, you get the advantage of saying it with a smooth, velvet drawl so you won't know if you're being insulted or not...yeah...Glenn knows what I'm talking about.

To each his own, I guess...

Rock on!

AngraRULES said:
Oh lord, only if that was the biggest problem there is regarding ProgPower...:rolleyes:

Well...while we're ironing out our MAJOR ISSUES...what's yours?

Rock on!

I don't think I have a major issue regarding the festival. I thought I would have one with the No Backpacks rule, but that wasn't a biggie.

Sorry if I insulted you sir, I just didn't see this as a major issue at all. Maybe because of the fact that I'm not really worried if all of my buddies will sit together or not, simply because each of us have different interests (band-wise) during the fest. While some may be sitting, the others will be on the floor enjoying themselves!

I don't know man... I've been to ProgPower many times and I've never had a hard time in finding seats. And always with a group of 4 or more people. Tell me, is it really that impossible?