Hopefully a new seating arrangement this year? (all seating threads merged..ENOUGH...

MadeInNewJersey said:
that's the most important factor IMO

so because 2 of my friends want to check out Zero Hour, and 5 of us want to go into the hall to drink, chat & smoke without bothering the people who DO want to hear Zero Hour, we can't save those seats?

Now you're getting it!

Oh, wait... maybe you're not.

Saving A seat for a LITTLE while, like while someone goes to the bar or bathroom... fine. Otherwise, you snooze, you lose. If you don't want to lose your seat, hire a lackey and bring him to PP. :p

People saving entire rows of seats for an entire set is asinine. I can't believe people let them get away with it.

Here's my try at a couple of rules of thumb to let us all get along :)

(1) People should be able to get out of their seats, stretch their legs, get beer, go pee, etc during intermission w/o losing a seat over it. Bags on seats should be a legitimate "placeholder" during intermission.

(2) If people are not back in their seats within five minutes after a band starts, it's probably safe to assume they're sitting that one out elsewhere. So we should obey the "5 minute rule": seats still empty after 5 minutes into a set are considered open. If you do set aside a bag to use such a seat, please return it when you move again.

I think (2) works well because people who plan to sit all night are probably sitting from the start. If someone who hasn't sat yet wants to sit when, say, the 3rd band starts, that person is probably just resting his or her feet and will move on again when that band is done, thus returning the chair to the original occupant at the end of that set.

(The other option which Glenn could employ if he was so inclined - and I wouldn't blame him if he's not so inclined - would be to distribute a small gold ribbon or something to gold badge holders which could be draped over the seatback to hold a seat, thus officially adding another perk to gold badges ... like we need another one... This would work on an honor system, that gold badge holders can't use their ribbon to hold a second seat while they are in their own.)

Ken

Hey waitaminnit... if this whole seat-saving thing is legit, then I'm getting to the festival FIRST, and saving the entire center front row up by the stage for my friends. There are only about 10 of them. Shouldn't be a problem, right? :b

Seriously, people don't get to "save" spots in the crowd, really... if you go to the bathroom, you have to fight your way back up front and hope you can squeeze in, and sometimes people will be nice and let you back where you were... the whole buying them a water or a beer thing works fabulously here... why doesn't the same thing apply to seat-saving?

metalprof said:
(The other option which Glenn could employ if he was so inclined - and I wouldn't blame him if he's not so inclined - would be to distribute a small gold ribbon or something to gold badge holders which could be draped over the seatback to hold a seat, thus officially adding another perk to gold badges ... like we need another one... This would work on an honor system, that gold badge holders can't use their ribbon to hold a second seat while they are in their own.)

I tossed this out as a throw-away comment in my last post, but the more I thought about it, the more I liked it! Since I know Glenn really enjoys suggestions on how to make his life harder :), here is my full idea of a seating system, and it doesn't even have anything to do with gold badges, at least directly:

Anyone who wants one is given a ribbon or strip of cloth, say 1 foot long by 1-2 inches wide. One side is red, the other side is green. A ribbon left on a seatback with the red side showing indicates "I am away just for a quick beer, bathroom, or smoking break, please don't take my seat!!" A ribbon left on a seatback with the green side showing indicates, "I am away for this set - either in the lobby or down on the floor. Please use this seat for this set, I'll be back when it's over!!"

These ribbons would be available to anyone who wants one, but there are probably lots of people who plan to be on the floor most of the time and wouldn't need one, they'd be the people occasionally looking for a "green" seat to take a breather. Gold badge holders would still have the perk of early admission for best choice of seats. I'll bet a sponsor could be found to pay for the ribbons / cloth with their name and logo all over it.

There, I have solved our problem. :)

Ken

Harvester said:
My personal opinion is that saving 3-4 seats is 100% ok. I do not condone one person saving an entire row.
Agreed, but I didn't see anyone doing that: one person saving an entire row would be practically impossible.

In our group, ~4 of us get to the door early and save one row of 10 seats. When the bands are on, all of those seats are filled, modulo bathroom breaks, etc. I fail to see how this is unreasonable, and apparently you don't see it either, so it doesn't sound like there's a problem.

Cheers,
Kyle

Maybe Glen ought to just charge extra for seats like at other concerts...that would solve the problem. You pay for it, it's yours. Of course then you'd have to hire some stooge with a flashlight to go around checking tickets....

metalprof said:
I tossed this out as a throw-away comment in my last post, but the more I thought about it, the more I liked it! Since I know Glenn really enjoys suggestions on how to make his life harder :), here is my full idea of a seating system, and it doesn't even have anything to do with gold badges, at least directly:

Anyone who wants one is given a ribbon or strip of cloth, say 1 foot long by 1-2 inches wide. One side is red, the other side is green. A ribbon left on a seatback with the red side showing indicates "I am away just for a quick beer, bathroom, or smoking break, please don't take my seat!!" A ribbon left on a seatback with the green side showing indicates, "I am away for this set - either in the lobby or down on the floor. Please use this seat for this set, I'll be back when it's over!!"

These ribbons would be available to anyone who wants one, but there are probably lots of people who plan to be on the floor most of the time and wouldn't need one, they'd be the people occasionally looking for a "green" seat to take a breather. Gold badge holders would still have the perk of early admission for best choice of seats. I'll bet a sponsor could be found to pay for the ribbons / cloth with their name and logo all over it.

There, I have solved our problem. :)

Ken

Spoken like a true intellectual...

Your idea is excellent in theory...and totally without logistical merit in real application.

Not criticizing, mind you...good idea...just very non-metal...

I didn't think we could possibly come up with more ideas to help Glenn micro-manage every facet of this festival...boy, was I wrong...

Rock on!

I'd be all for some sort of patron seat program, like at RoSFest or Nearfest, but neither of these shows are general admission like PP, and I can only imagine it would be a HUGE effort and cost a lot more money to assign and police seats at the show. So I think things are going to stay the way they are. For the most part the system works, I think some people just have to be a little more polite and understanding (this goes for both seat savers and seat searchers).

This isn't so much a big deal for us, as Mary and I usually don't hang out with anyone, and pretty much stay inside the room and watch every band. I do need an aisle seat in case I have to quickly leave the theater because of a bad reaction to one of my medications (which has happened more than once). I pretty much only leave the theater otherwise for bathroom breaks and getting food. There are too many once in a lifetime performances at PP to skip any of it...

dt

Last year i noticed ALOT of people watching the show from the aisles.

Literally standing on the steps/aisles making it impossible for people to walk or get by and additionally blocking several peoples views.

These people were told to move occasionally by security and they would walk off for about one minute then go right back to where they were as soon as security was no longer watching them.

most of them were standing this way for entire sets and would even refuse to move when someone was trying to walk by them.

I know this violates fire code, but it also becomes bothersome not to mention dangerous to anyone wanting to walk in the aisle and for anyone seated behind these people.

I hope this is harshly and properly addressed by security this year.

am_ash2 said:
You pay for it, it's yours. Of course then you'd have to hire some stooge with a flashlight to go around checking tickets....

LOL, just thinking about the Maglite comment I had posted in another thread. Yay, I can be attend PP and get paid (rotfl).

And yes folks, I was kidding with the above comment.

Let's just be a little kinder to our fellow PP attendees. Share a seat where/when you can, go with the flow, etc. Most people just wanna sit for a little bit (not a whole evening) to silence their barking dogs.

General Zod said:
I'm with you. I have no clue why anyone would want to sit during a Metal show. I wonder if these people read during sex.:loco:

Zod
It depends on who you're screwing, just like it depends on what band you're watching. If it's a boring ass lay one might be prompted to consider reading, just like one might be prompted to sit thru a boring band instead of standing.

Britt

lady_space said:
Now you're getting it!

Oh, wait... maybe you're not.

Saving A seat for a LITTLE while, like while someone goes to the bar or bathroom... fine. Otherwise, you snooze, you lose. If you don't want to lose your seat, hire a lackey and bring him to PP. :p

People saving entire rows of seats for an entire set is asinine. I can't believe people let them get away with it.

My feelings exactly Shaye.....And Dustin, anybody that is HEALTHY and wouldn't give up their seat, or truly unused saved seat for your pregnant wife
is a douche bag, IMO. If I had a broken leg, and a 3rd degree crutch rash
in my armpits, I'd have given her and/or you a seat, and hobbled down to the floor. I will say this, I enjoy the living shit out of seeing the regs every year, but I had my first issue with a thrasher giving me a headbutt on the floor 2 years ago, and have noticed some of the newer attendees being a-holes in more ways than one. I shudder to think what would happen if this event was moved to a big arena. As it has been said, be cool, be courteus, and have a good time. You don't have to be an asshole to have fun at this fest.
Finally, if the unwashed sob is there this year, with his 3-day non-showered stench, I swear I'm going to beat him into a lather with a bar of soap in a sock! :D

J-Dubya

I am still amazed on how this is a huge deal for some people... Is it also that difficult to stand during a set or another?

Sometimes some of you may sound a little too "spoiled"... Don't get me wrong...

J-Dubya 777 said:
Finally, if the unwashed sob is there this year, with his 3-day non-showered stench, I swear I'm going to beat him into a lather with a bar of soap in a sock! :D

J-Dubya

ROFLMAO Awesome J-Dubya. That's the REAL issue with the floor and maybe why some folks are scrambling for the seats. Also, I'm sure Yippee will mention if he sees this post, the fellow with the rotten egg gas, please see a doctor before this year's show or really eat bottles of beano. o_O

AngraRULES said:
I am still amazed on how this is a huge deal for some people... Is it also that difficult to stand during a set or another?

Sometimes some of you may sound a little too "spoiled"... Don't get me wrong...

The huge deal is people saving unused seats through multiple band's sets That's bullshit....It really doesn't affect me, as I do my sitting & visiting in the hallways outside. I sit for maybe one band or 2 throughout the weekend, and if either my feet are sore, or I've had too much partying, I really don't care WHERE the seat is. There's usually something open in the noseblled seats, if you can even call them that......

J-Dubya

yardleybates said:
ROFLMAO Awesome J-Dubya. That's the REAL issue with the floor and maybe why some folks are scrambling for the seats. Also, I'm sure Yippee will mention if he sees this post, the fellow with the rotten egg gas, please see a doctor before this year's show or really eat bottles of beano. o_O

LOL! Rotten Egg gas... I hope that wasn't me! It didn't have a hint of tequila in it did it?
:D
The main floor gets hot, and if you're down there long enough, you will
sweat, but I'll attest that a shower in the a.m. and some deodorant goes a LONG way. I hope I can get the soap & the sock past security! :Spin:
(j/k Glenn! maybe! )

J-Dubya

J-Dubya

So I have read through 43 responses to my original seating dilemma now.

Here's what I have learned:

1. If you are truly metttttaaaaaaaalllllllllllllllllllll, then you don't sit down at a metal show, thus making the seating problem a moot point.

2. Although I drive halfway across a continent to see a 2-day 10-band metal show with my significant other and my 2 closest friends, we don't deserve (nor should we expect) to sit together because our tastes vary.

3. Sitting down during some bands and standing up during others but still wanting to sit later is just plain crazy and asinine.

3. A bag is a completely fine, tried and true method, of claiming a seat for the entire show.

4. A single individual saving multiple or even rows of seats for others who will return "at some point" is considered by many to be perfectly legitimate.

5. The time of someone returning still seems vague at best. To some it means five minutes and then it's fair game...to others, it means that seat is saved for the duration of the show but you MIGHT be able to sit there for a little while until that person returns if you ask nicely.

6. Apparently people believe I have run out of things to bitch about although I have never bitched about an aspect of the show except that Enchant hasn't played yet. :D

7. That even though this metal show supposedly has the vibe of "one big happy metal family", don't expect the same family vibe courtesy in responses when posting about a personal problem occuring at the show that the promoter and crew may or may not be aware of.

My post was quite legitimate to me and I feel that it is an issue I have experienced every year I have attended. I brought it up so that Glenn and his crew knew that this problem has existed for me and maybe others. Is there a solution? I don't know. That's why I brought it up here. I felt like I had no disdain or indignation in my post. I was merely stating a problem with varied circumstances and was hoping to hear some solutions other than "pounding sand." But thanks for that one. I know what was really thought of my post at least.

Dustin mirrored experiences similar to mine when he and his pregnant wife were not able to find a seat and no one wanted to give up their saved seats. Apparently the family vibe exists out there as long as you aren't asking for someone to give up a saved seat. I am by nature a pretty passive guy and certainly don't look very foreboding. In turn, I have never been rude or obnoxious to anyone at the show until about the 10th time in a night I try to sit down in a LARGE section of empty seats and was told to get up. Even then, I have tried to reason with people and tell them my plight only to be harassed and cussed at and in one instance even mildly threatened if me and my group didn't get up after we had been sitting there for 45 minutes. Yes, I do feel the love of the metal family...

Basically, as far as I can tell, the "solution" is for me to bring my own bags/items/clothes/pizza crust/beer or whatever to place in the 4 seats I want at the beginning of each day and tie them to the chairs. Therefore, I am guaranteed a spot for the entire show whether I am there or not since that seems like a typical belief. I don't believe that is fair to others who shared my same plight before, but hey...."when in Rome..." right?

I just have to say I am kind of shocked at a lot of the responses I got. I really did believe I was trying to be the courteous one in my mind by NOT trying to save my own seats whether I am there or not. But so be it. I know where I stand (and sit) with the responses I got.

Thanks everyone. Cheers and rock on! Seeya at the show....center section, 3rd row up, 4 center seats right behind the sound board. Gold Badge does have it's privileges! If you don't see me, just ask my hot dog bun politely to sit there while I am gone, perhaps he will allow it....but only for a little while.

Anakin