Hopefully a new seating arrangement this year? (all seating threads merged..ENOUGH...

Very good synopsis.

The 4 of us and our 1 gold badge have been executing your plan for years. ;) We too have varied taste, so there is always at least one of us sitting in our 3-4 seats. Between us, I think it has always been understood that to leave all of them empty would be forfeiting them.

Hmm....

This whole thread took a very long, twisted path, but it seems that there just simply won't be a legit solution.

Everyone must try to be courteous and not hog up the seats if they're not using them. I've learned my lesson from last year, and will not be relying on the plastic bag method. I'm gonna get a messenger bag (They have Trogdor bags! Oooh! ) and that will keep my hands free instead of constantly holding that plastic bag. I know it's cool to have all four of my crew together, but it was unrealistic last year. So if there's two seats open, my bro and I might pop a squat, if there's four, hey we all sit together. But we ran around sooo damn much last year, and I know to expect that this year.

Besides...

SITTING IS FOR WIMPS!

And pregnant ladies. ;)

Dustin, so sorry to hear about what happened to your wife last year... what a bunch of assholes. I would most happily give up seats and make food/drink runs for a pregnant attendee.

Anakinnnn said:
1. If you are truly metttttaaaaaaaalllllllllllllllllllll, then you don't sit down at a metal show, thus making the seating problem a moot point.

That's about the size of it. I'm aluminum oxide, myself, so I'm allowed to sit about 2/3 of the time if I want to.

3. Sitting down during some bands and standing up during others but still wanting to sit later is just plain crazy and asinine.

3. A bag is a completely fine, tried and true method, of claiming a seat for the entire show.

Or, a tried-and-true method of giving away free cds.

I also find it funny that you have two #3's.

4. A single individual saving multiple or even rows of seats for others who will return "at some point" is considered by many to be perfectly legitimate.

... if they have a gun. Otherwise, I say, "Do what you want." Are they going to attack you, and risk being kicked out of a festival that they travelled so far to see?

5. The time of someone returning still seems vague at best. To some it means five minutes and then it's fair game...to others, it means that seat is saved for the duration of the show but you MIGHT be able to sit there for a little while until that person returns if you ask nicely.

Seriously, this seems to make perfect sense to me... and anyone who won't let you use one of their 2178631 saved seats, TEMPORARILY, needs to go to hell.

6. Apparently people believe I have run out of things to bitch about although I have never bitched about an aspect of the show except that Enchant hasn't played yet. :D

nice job. :)

7. That even though this metal show supposedly has the vibe of "one big happy metal family", don't expect the same family vibe courtesy in responses when posting about a personal problem occuring at the show that the promoter and crew may or may not be aware of.

Just think of the naysayers as the "angry uncles" of the family. :)

My post was quite legitimate to me and I feel that it is an issue I have experienced every year I have attended.

I agree with you, and I think most of the rest of us do as well. It's actually a newer problem. I don't think I ever sat down at PP2, but when I went to sit down at PP3, I never had any trouble finding a seat in which to rest my weary ass. I also did some sitting at PP4, although it was quite far up because the room was packed... but I still didn't have any trouble finding a seat. The first show where I noticed this problem was PP5, and it was noticeably worse at PP6. I forsee that it will be impossible to get a seat this year, if you don't have one at the beginning of the show.

As uncomfortable as those seats are, I don't plan on sitting much, if at all, this year. My ass was in pain during PC69 this year, and not because it was getting kicked.

Anakinnnn said:
Here's what I have learned... 1. If you are truly metttttaaaaaaaalllllllllllllllllllll, then you don't sit down at a metal show, thus making the seating problem a moot point.
You didn't know this already?:loco:

Anakinnnn said:
2. Although I drive halfway across a continent to see a 2-day 10-band metal show...
As do most of us.

Anakinnnn said:
3. Sitting down during some bands and standing up during others but still wanting to sit later is just plain crazy and asinine.
I think you may be overlooking the obvious. Simply do the math; space is limited and the event is sold out. If you were allowed to hold your seats, while you went to stand on the floor for the bands you like, you've essentially taken up two spots in the venue. Obviously, there isn't enough room in the venue for everyone to take up two spots. So, I'm not sure what you expect Glenn to do.

Anakinnnn said:
7. That even though this metal show supposedly has the vibe of "one big happy metal family", don't expect the same family vibe courtesy in responses when posting about a personal problem occuring at the show that the promoter and crew may or may not be aware of.
No offense intended, but perhaps what kills the "family vibe" is people complaining about every little thing. No situation is going to be perfect for everyone. The fact that this festival has run for as long as it has, without many people complaining about this issue, seems to indicate that the vast majority are happy with the way this naturally resolves itself.

Anakinnnn said:
I just have to say I am kind of shocked at a lot of the responses I got. I really did believe I was trying to be the courteous one in my mind by NOT trying to save my own seats whether I am there or not. But so be it. I know where I stand (and sit) with the responses I got.
Regardless of how politely you complain, I think you can always expect a certain number of responses that don't take kindly to complaints. You're no stranger to these parts, so I can only assume you know how hard Glenn works. And while I can't speak for him, I know I'd be pretty annoyed if every time I logged on to my forum, someone was complaining about something else.

Good luck with your seats in September, however you guys decide to handle it.:headbang:

Zod

metalprof said:
Anyone who wants one is given a ribbon or strip of cloth, say 1 foot long by 1-2 inches wide. One side is red, the other side is green. A ribbon left on a seatback with the red side showing indicates "I am away just for a quick beer, bathroom, or smoking break, please don't take my seat!!" A ribbon left on a seatback with the green side showing indicates, "I am away for this set - either in the lobby or down on the floor. Please use this seat for this set, I'll be back when it's over!!"

These ribbons would be available to anyone who wants one, but there are probably lots of people who plan to be on the floor most of the time and wouldn't need one, they'd be the people occasionally looking for a "green" seat to take a breather. Gold badge holders would still have the perk of early admission for best choice of seats. I'll bet a sponsor could be found to pay for the ribbons / cloth with their name and logo all over it.

There, I have solved our problem. :)

Ken

Interesting idea......
crazy thing is someone mentioned this discussion being like a Seinfeld episode.... and now all I can think of is that spanish guy yelling:

"WHO!! Who doesn't want to wear de reeebon???"

Disclaimer: This post is directed at no one in particular

Look, so, maybe I'm old school but I have no problem with big crowds, stage divers, mosh pits, and headbanging. :kickass:

ProgPower therefore is like a day at the beach. :kickass: :kickass:

When I'm not watching a band, I go to the bar and drink beer! :kickass: :kickass: :kickass:

I mean, that's it really. Metal = Beer, Blood, Fire, and Death. And then some more beer.

What is up with the seats at Earthlink anyway. Rip them out and put more bars in place, with more HOT CHICKS serving pints of guinness and vodka, and then maybe we might have an easier time taking a piss or getting more beer when not having to walk through 3 billion fans waiting in line to get an autograph. :loco:

If not, rip the seats out anyway and put in some waterslides for the kids. Waterslides at a metal show would rule.

Anakinnnn said:
I know where I stand (and sit) with the responses I got.

Thanks everyone. Cheers and rock on! Seeya at the show....center section, 3rd row up, 4 center seats right behind the sound board. Gold Badge does have it's privileges! If you don't see me, just ask my hot dog bun politely to sit there while I am gone, perhaps he will allow it....but only for a little while.

Haha, that is awesome. :lol:

If all works out, I'll be the first to buy you a beer. :cool:

Jason,

Here's an option for ya. ;)

dsi_originalchair_purple.gif

I was guilty of it once or twice, for 5 minutes and under. It seems like the only thing to do if you want to see a band with a packed floor, because people will get pissed off with you wandering through rows looking for a seat (it's pretty dark, you have to really look hard). I usually don't come into the crowd during a song, I give others the courtesy of rocking out to their music and not getting shoved around more than necessary. Maybe just a habit picked up from hockey games and stuff, I dunno...

FataMorgana said:
Dark One,

I didn't know your name was Jason. :Spin: Sorry to confuse ya. I meant the OTHER Jason. :)

Stacy

Haha, cool, no problem. I didn't even know there WAS another Jason around these parts. Now, I did know there was another DarkOne, but his name is Steve, and somehow we are both from Philly as well but did not really know each other until last year. Are we confused yet??

:lol:

Dark One said:
Haha, cool, no problem. I didn't even know there WAS another Jason around these parts. Now, I did know there was another DarkOne, but his name is Steve, and somehow we are both from Philly as well but did not really know each other until last year.
You're a troublemaker.

Zod

Yep. I spilled a beer at one point trying to get around one of those individuals and the individual acted pissed off. *I* was the one that had a right to be pissed off. I even said excuse me several times (loudly) and the person didn't move, so I had to force myself around him to work my way back towards my friends on the floor. Sure enough, elbow hits beer in the dark.

Had to do it once for a few minutes. Returned to our seats to see em taken... and it was too bloody dark at that point to see anything else. So waited for the band to start playing, more lights, found seats... issue over. And yes, I nearly tripped over several people hangin in the aisle. Its annoying when people plan on remaining in the aisle. Glad to see Glenn is going to do something about this.