Hopefully a new seating arrangement this year? (all seating threads merged..ENOUGH...

Anakinnnn said:
So I have read through 43 responses to my original seating dilemma now.

Here's what I have learned:

1. If you are truly metttttaaaaaaaalllllllllllllllllllll, then you don't sit down at a metal show, thus making the seating problem a moot point.

There is a certain logic to that. You're not at an easy-listening show, it's a metal show... unless there's some physical impediment barring it, you should want to get up and be a active. I'm not saying this from the perspective that everyone has to agree with me, but this particular difference in perspective is a big part of the reason why this problem occurs.

Anakinnnn said:
2. Although I drive halfway across a continent to see a 2-day 10-band metal show with my significant other and my 2 closest friends, we don't deserve (nor should we expect) to sit together because our tastes vary.

To be blunt, no you shouldn't expect to sit together... nor should anyone else. When you get right down to the core of the issue, people wanting to sit together is the fundamental basis of the problem you're having. If everyone was content to sit anywhere, there would be no need for saving seats at all. But no, people want to sit near their friends, and so the problem arises.

Anakinnnn said:
3. Sitting down during some bands and standing up during others but still wanting to sit later is just plain crazy and asinine.

I don't know whether it's crazy or asinine, but it does put you in a difficult situation. When you come down to it, you have to figure out whether you're a "sitter" or a "stander". If you stand all the time, you don't care about seats anyway, and if you sit all the time, once you've planted your ass in a seat, you're there for the duraton, and no one is going to displace you. But if you're 50/50, and want to go back and forth many times, you're in the most difficult situation. Crazy or not, that is the reality of it.

Anakinnnn said:
3. A bag is a completely fine, tried and true method, of claiming a seat for the entire show.

4. A single individual saving multiple or even rows of seats for others who will return "at some point" is considered by many to be perfectly legitimate.

5. The time of someone returning still seems vague at best. To some it means five minutes and then it's fair game...to others, it means that seat is saved for the duration of the show but you MIGHT be able to sit there for a little while until that person returns if you ask nicely.

6. Apparently people believe I have run out of things to bitch about although I have never bitched about an aspect of the show except that Enchant hasn't played yet. :D

7. That even though this metal show supposedly has the vibe of "one big happy metal family", don't expect the same family vibe courtesy in responses when posting about a personal problem occuring at the show that the promoter and crew may or may not be aware of.

My post was quite legitimate to me and I feel that it is an issue I have experienced every year I have attended. I brought it up so that Glenn and his crew knew that this problem has existed for me and maybe others. Is there a solution? I don't know. That's why I brought it up here. I felt like I had no disdain or indignation in my post. I was merely stating a problem with varied circumstances and was hoping to hear some solutions other than "pounding sand." But thanks for that one. I know what was really thought of my post at least.

Dustin mirrored experiences similar to mine when he and his pregnant wife were not able to find a seat and no one wanted to give up their saved seats. Apparently the family vibe exists out there as long as you aren't asking for someone to give up a saved seat. I am by nature a pretty passive guy and certainly don't look very foreboding. In turn, I have never been rude or obnoxious to anyone at the show until about the 10th time in a night I try to sit down in a LARGE section of empty seats and was told to get up. Even then, I have tried to reason with people and tell them my plight only to be harassed and cussed at and in one instance even mildly threatened if me and my group didn't get up after we had been sitting there for 45 minutes. Yes, I do feel the love of the metal family...

Basically, as far as I can tell, the "solution" is for me to bring my own bags/items/clothes/pizza crust/beer or whatever to place in the 4 seats I want at the beginning of each day and tie them to the chairs. Therefore, I am guaranteed a spot for the entire show whether I am there or not since that seems like a typical belief. I don't believe that is fair to others who shared my same plight before, but hey...."when in Rome..." right?

I just have to say I am kind of shocked at a lot of the responses I got. I really did believe I was trying to be the courteous one in my mind by NOT trying to save my own seats whether I am there or not. But so be it. I know where I stand (and sit) with the responses I got.

Thanks everyone. Cheers and rock on! Seeya at the show....center section, 3rd row up, 4 center seats right behind the sound board. Gold Badge does have it's privileges! If you don't see me, just ask my hot dog bun politely to sit there while I am gone, perhaps he will allow it....but only for a little while.

Really man, at some point, you just have to stop being so worried about everything. This is what I do... I don't have any kind of party with me, so I don't have anyone to save me a seat anyway. The one friend who usually comes with me to ProgPower is a huge pussy and mostly just sits through the whole show, so basically I just meet up with him after the show. But that's OK... I 'm not looking for anyone to save me a seat... I'm mostly a "stander". When I'm at a metal show, I want to be up front, headbang, etc. But hey, it's an 8 hour a night show. During the course of it, I might need a little rest every now and then. Sometimes between bands, I don't need to go outside, and I just want to sit down until the next band comes on. Even sometimes during a band I'm not that familiar with, I might want to sit for 5 to 6 minutes. I used to be concerned with what seats were potentially being saved, but as you pointed out, that's a ridiculous proposition. Why? Not because there is a lack of unoccupied seats. At any given time, there are a large number of unoccupied seats, but the majority of them are "claimed" in some manner. So what I decided about 2 years ago is that when I need to sit, I simply sit in any empty seat. And by empty, I mean it does not currently have a person in it. A bag, a coat, or a pizza crust is utterly meaningless to me... it gets moved, and I sit.

By all rights, I have now claimed the seat. There's no rule I'm violating by continuing to sit there as long as I feel like it, regardless of who else thinks the seat is "theirs". But, surprise, not once has the claimant ever returned while I've been sitting there. Now, there have, however, been times when I would sit down, and someone would lean over from several seats away and tell me that the seat was being saved. Now, as far as I'm concerned, I'm well within my rights to tell this person to fuck off. There was no one sitting in the seat when I got there, and now I'm sitting there, tough shit. However, is it really worth it to get into a big argument / fight? I, for one, don't want to spend my time arguing with some nimrod over a small, uncomfortable, red chair. Not when there are so many other small, uncomfortable, red chairs available (though likely "claimed" as well). That one particular chair may be of extreme importance to that person, and I might really be pissing in his cheerios if I denied him access to it, but to me, it's just a random chair.

So, I just tell (not ask) the multiple-seat-saver guy that I need to use the chair right now, and I'll move if the prospective occupant returns while I'm still there. From my perspective, I don't care if I have to move 3 - 4 times during one set break, from "saved" seat to "saved" seat... I'll move every time the "occupant" returns and sit in yet another one, until that "occupant" returns.

In reality though, not once has a seat "occupant" ever returned in the time I've been sitting in a seat. And sometimes I've been there for almost half an hour during set breaks (like, when the headlining band is taking forever to set up, and my feet need a little bit of a rest after standing through 4 bands already).

So, there's no reason for you to be worried that you're the asshole for taking a seat that was saved by a bag or a pizza crust or some guy 6 seats away. As far as I'm concerned, if someone does return, they should be appreciative that I am willing to move somewhere else and let them have the seat they think belongs to them. I'm being generous in doing so... I don't really have to.

TheWhisper said:
This is just screaming for a classic J-Dub comeback...:D

Ever see Phantasm? Remember the "beings" that were so short because
of the increased gravity of their realm? Babs didn't make it back before the portal closed, and is forever stuck on our planet. The only way she would be
at armpit level would be if she was wearing Gene Simmon's stage boots circa 1976! :Spin: :D

J-Dubya

Sumeet said:
There is a certain logic to that. You're not at an easy-listening show, it's a metal show... unless there's some physical impediment barring it, you should want to get up and be a active. I'm not saying this from the perspective that everyone has to agree with me, but this particular difference in perspective is a big part of the reason why this problem occurs.

To be blunt, no you shouldn't expect to sit together... nor should anyone else. When you get right down to the core of the issue, people wanting to sit together is the fundamental basis of the problem you're having. If everyone was content to sit anywhere, there would be no need for saving seats at all. But no, people want to sit near their friends, and so the problem arises.

I don't know whether it's crazy or asinine, but it does put you in a difficult situation. When you come down to it, you have to figure out whether you're a "sitter" or a "stander". If you stand all the time, you don't care about seats anyway, and if you sit all the time, once you've planted your ass in a seat, you're there for the duraton, and no one is going to displace you. But if you're 50/50, and want to go back and forth many times, you're in the most difficult situation. Crazy or not, that is the reality of it.

Really man, at some point, you just have to stop being so worried about everything. This is what I do... I don't have any kind of party with me, so I don't have anyone to save me a seat anyway. The one friend who usually comes with me to ProgPower is a huge pussy and mostly just sits through the whole show, so basically I just meet up with him after the show. But that's OK... I 'm not looking for anyone to save me a seat... I'm mostly a "stander". When I'm at a metal show, I want to be up front, headbang, etc. But hey, it's an 8 hour a night show. During the course of it, I might need a little rest every now and then. Sometimes between bands, I don't need to go outside, and I just want to sit down until the next band comes on. Even sometimes during a band I'm not that familiar with, I might want to sit for 5 to 6 minutes. I used to be concerned with what seats were potentially being saved, but as you pointed out, that's a ridiculous proposition. Why? Not because there is a lack of unoccupied seats. At any given time, there are a large number of unoccupied seats, but the majority of them are "claimed" in some manner. So what I decided about 2 years ago is that when I need to sit, I simply sit in any empty seat. And by empty, I mean it does not currently have a person in it. A bag, a coat, or a pizza crust is utterly meaningless to me... it gets moved, and I sit.

By all rights, I have now claimed the seat. There's no rule I'm violating by continuing to sit there as long as I feel like it, regardless of who else thinks the seat is "theirs". But, surprise, not once has the claimant ever returned while I've been sitting there. Now, there have, however, been times when I would sit down, and someone would lean over from several seats away and tell me that the seat was being saved. Now, as far as I'm concerned, I'm well within my rights to tell this person to fuck off. There was no one sitting in the seat when I got there, and now I'm sitting there, tough shit. However, is it really worth it to get into a big argument / fight? I, for one, don't want to spend my time arguing with some nimrod over a small, uncomfortable, red chair. Not when there are so many other small, uncomfortable, red chairs available (though likely "claimed" as well). That one particular chair may be of extreme importance to that person, and I might really be pissing in his cheerios if I denied him access to it, but to me, it's just a random chair.

So, I just tell (not ask) the multiple-seat-saver guy that I need to use the chair right now, and I'll move if the prospective occupant returns while I'm still there. From my perspective, I don't care if I have to move 3 - 4 times during one set break, from "saved" seat to "saved" seat... I'll move every time the "occupant" returns and sit in yet another one, until that "occupant" returns.

In reality though, not once has a seat "occupant" ever returned in the time I've been sitting in a seat. And sometimes I've been there for almost half an hour during set breaks (like, when the headlining band is taking forever to set up, and my feet need a little bit of a rest after standing through 4 bands already).

So, there's no reason for you to be worried that you're the asshole for taking a seat that was saved by a bag or a pizza crust or some guy 6 seats away. As far as I'm concerned, if someone does return, they should be appreciative that I am willing to move somewhere else and let them have the seat they think belongs to them. I'm being generous in doing so... I don't really have to.

Fuck...can you make a Cliff Notes Version of this please?

Is it really that hard to figure this shit out???? I've been going to concerts for, well...too long to remember now, and have never had trouble with this. This includes back when I was in junior high, and my friend's older sister used to take us to shows, and concerts were almost always general admission.

Now, if that fuckin' pizza crust, or any of his condiment buddies, show up this year trying to save seats...I say we kick his doughy ass!

Walter_Langkowski said:
Fuck...can you make a Cliff Notes Version of this please?

LOL, ok, plain and simple... if there is no person sitting in a chair (a person... not a bag, a pizza crust, or a pile of crap), then that chair is fair game. If I feel like sitting down, I'm moving your shit, and I'm sitting down. If your dumb little buddy 4 seats away tells me that the seat is saved, he can go fuck himself. If you, yourself, physically return to the seat, I will get up and let you have it. Not because you have any more of a valid claim to the seat than I do. Your claim that the seat is "yours" is complete shit, so don't even try it. The only reason I'm letting you have it is because I'm a nice guy.

Concise enough? :)

Sumeet said:

Cliff notes be damned!

That is a truly well put and excellent response to a topic that we really shouldn't give half a fuck about in the first place.

Well done, sir!

Rock on!

I can't tell you guys how happy I am that the pizza crust has been getting it's due respect, admiration, and attention.

Sniff...brings a tear to my eye...

I also can't believe that we aggravated Glenn or Deron so much that they felt the need to eliminate (re-align) all the redundant "seat" threads...that's absolutely hilarious.

Maybe at the festival we can all get together with sticks and beat the shit out of a horse repeatedly. When it dies...we can replace it with another one...and so on...and so on...

Damn...sometimes I really love this forum...

Rock on!

ashaman7122 said:
I also can't believe that we aggravated Glenn or Deron so much that they felt the need to eliminate (re-align) all the redundant "seat" threads...that's absolutely hilarious.

Yeah..fucking hilarious. I really appreciated it.

It had better not happen again.

Glenn H.

J-Dubya 777 said:
Ever see Phantasm? Remember the "beings" that were so short because
of the increased gravity of their realm? Babs didn't make it back before the portal closed, and is forever stuck on our planet. The only way she would be
at armpit level would be if she was wearing Gene Simmon's stage boots circa 1976! :Spin: :D

J-Dubya

You, sir, have just earned yourself a free beer at PP for writing a post that had me laughing so hard I believe I may have injured myself. Congrats!:Spin:

dt

Meteornotes said:
You, sir, have just earned yourself a free beer at PP for writing a post that had me laughing so hard I believe I may have injured myself. Congrats!:Spin:

dt

I aim to entertain! Looking forward to seeing you again this year!
If Babs brings the "ball" we're both in deep shit!:D

J-Dubya

lady_space said:
Now THERE'S an idea!!! Screw corset night... we could have bikini night! I just got a new one... bring on the water slides!
Nahhh... make it interesting. Have corset night on Thursday for the pre-party, bikini night on Friday, and end the festival with thong night.

Jeez... sometimes I'm so brilliant, it's frightening.:loco:

Zod

Harvester said:
My take is simple:

I cannot enforce any seating rule when as the show is general admission. It simply isn't possible. My personal opinion is that saving 3-4 seats is 100% ok. I do not condone one person saving an entire row.

Glenn H.

The only seating you could enforce would be to have a GB section but what a hassle that would be to manage...I think that saving seats (especially through entire sets!) is wrong--if you get up you lose the seat plain and simple. If a group of you get up you ALL lose your seats. This is GA and that means NO seats are held.

I spend my time on the floor because I have given up trying to find a keep a good seat. I agree that saving seats is bogus. I want to get stuff signed, meet and BS with friends, and go back to the hotel periodically. To have my seat "held" during that time is thoughtless.

It is a pain to find a seat later on in the night when fewer people are on the floor. Given all of that, I would prefer knowing that 100 seats in the center section were available for people like me who waited a long time to get a GB and gladly pay extra for one. I think that 1 person saving a row of seats is wrong, but institutionalized saving of seats for GB holders is acceptable.

Greykiller said:
The only seating you could enforce would be to have a GB section but what a hassle that would be to manage...
And would probably cost Glenn money. If he had to guarentee GB holders a spot on the floor and a seat, that would mean he wouldn't be able to sell as many tickets.

Zod

How about everyone bring a sign with a movable clock on it. If you are sitting place a sign that says, "Ran to bathroom, be back in 10" and then put the time you left on it. If you're not back at that time, then you give up your seat. That's what I plan on doing anyway. Most of the time I don't sit while watching the band.

But I have to agree one person holding seats for 14 people is crazy. I once asked to sit during intermission and was shooed away because they were "saved". Um, are all 14 people coming back right now? But yeah.

I say just be respectful. If you're saving, but someone obviously needs to sit down just tell them that you're expecting friends to come back in X time, but will share with them if for a period of time.

-Metal

General Zod said:
Nahhh... make it interesting. Have corset night on Thursday for the pre-party, bikini night on Friday, and end the festival with thong night.

Jeez... sometimes I'm so brilliant, it's frightening.:loco:

Well, you certainly scare me. ;)

And *every* night is thong night AFAIC.

S