Votes: 25 34.2%
  • 25 - 50

Votes: 24 32.9%
  • 50 - 100

Votes: 15 20.5%
  • More than 100

Votes: 9 12.3%

• Total voters
, and almost all windows machines come without them unless you're custom building it. Or if you stumble upon one of the last few prebuilt PCs that have that "tower" desktop structure - but many of those too don't have disc drives.

Dude. I sell PCs for a living. (I can't speak to Macs.) I repeat: in a retail environment, only about 30-40% of laptops do not come with optical drives, and pretty much ALL desktops still do (I'm sure there are some out there without drives, but all of the ones we sell have them). Desktops are by no means obsolete - there isn't as *much* demand for them, no, but they still sell regularly. And tablets are NOT outselling PCs of any kind yet - they are ramping up, yes, but they're still two different animals and there are a lot of things you can do on one that you can't do on the other. Only a small percentage of people are using them exclusively - the majority of them use them in *addition* to a regular PC. (there are also a shit-ton of people still using XP, never mind anything as modern as a tablet.)

Now, in five or ten years the pendulum very likely will swing to the extremes you describe, especially with hybrid/convertibles being so cheap now, but right now that's not the case.

I predominantly buy digital nowadays because it's just easier for me - I mostly only buy the disc when I want to put a little extra money in a band's pocket, or for collectible purposes.

Very cool topic....Going back to the original question, I probably buy 100 discs a year....sometimes more sometimes less. I currently have about 2400 CDs and have never purchased an album through iTunes or any other digital format. That being said, I understand why people do especially from a space standpoint. Thanks to Justin for the recommendation on Leslie Dame. I currently use Boltz and have an 1800 rack filled and was getting ready to purchase another....I just hate the idea of spending $800 on more storage when that could go towards more music, or the general ProgPower fund (sponsorship, hotel, food and drinks, etc.). I've just always loved the idea of having a physical product.

. And tablets are NOT outselling PCs of any kind yet - they are ramping up, yes, but they're still two different animals and there are a lot of things you can do on one that you can't do on the other. Only a small percentage of people are using them exclusively - the majority of them use them in *addition* to a regular PC. (there are also a shit-ton of people still using XP, never mind anything as modern as a tablet.)

http://www.idc.com/getdoc.jsp?containerId=prUS24314413

Nice of you to have that whole room for just the collection! I have also +6000 cds, but had to start throwing cases putting them in sleeves, so my order got out of whack! Now I am trying to compile my collection and putting it cataloguized, which will take me forever! Is that in alphabetical the way you have it? I imagine you have to leave spaces to fill it out if so! I remember having to make room for new titles and displacing most rows.

Alphabetical by artist, then chronologically. I take my obsessions seriously.

Very cool topic....Going back to the original question, I probably buy 100 discs a year....sometimes more sometimes less. I currently have about 2400 CDs and have never purchased an album through iTunes or any other digital format. That being said, I understand why people do especially from a space standpoint. Thanks to Justin for the recommendation on Leslie Dame. I currently use Boltz and have an 1800 rack filled and was getting ready to purchase another....I just hate the idea of spending $800 on more storage when that could go towards more music, or the general ProgPower fund (sponsorship, hotel, food and drinks, etc.). I've just always loved the idea of having a physical product.

The Leslie Dame shelves usually run about $200. You can get some great deals online with a bit of searching.

Alphabetical by artist, then chronologically. I take my obsessions seriously.

Yeah, I used to do that, separated by Heavy Metal, Hard Rock, Rock, etc, but it was a pain when I had to displace stuff row by row, how do you fit new purchases? Leaving holes on each row? :OMG:

Last 5 years I have bought 200 to 300 cds a year more or less, mainly used cds original first pressings, I'm always looking for trash and death metal releases from 80's and early 90´s.

I´m a cd collector mainly, but like to get some vinyls from time to time too.

At PP tables usually I buy at least 30 cds, but last 2 years I got some cds that where fake cds (I think russian or greek bootlegs). I Think where you buy at eBay or Amazon there is allways a chance that you get a fake cd, but I think at PP tables vendors should not be allowed to sell bootlegs or fake cds.

See ya at PP

Yeah, I used to do that, separated by Heavy Metal, Hard Rock, Rock, etc, but it was a pain when I had to displace stuff row by row, how do you fit new purchases? Leaving holes on each row? :OMG:

No spaces. When I get the new Accept next week, it means 3649 CDs have to move over. Shelving my ProgPower is usually an epic logistical feat.

Now hopefully that was enough psychobabble BS rambling to make everyone give up on this thread!
It's certainly made me give up. :loco:

In all seriousness, as debates often do, this one has lost its focus. Ultimately, my point is simply this; I want the option of digital lossless file. The record industry (yes, I'm including Apple, Amazon and Google) should allow me to purchase the recording, as the artist untended, in a purely digital format.

No spaces. When I get the new Accept next week, it means 3649 CDs have to move over. Shelving my ProgPower is usually an epic logistical feat.
I keep about five open slots at the end of each row. That way, when I buy a new CD, I only have to move things around when I'm completely out of spaces. Your method sounds like complete madness!

I don't leave blank rows either, but that tends to lead to piles of CDs not getting shelved, particularly since I've run out of shelf space. Fortunately, my Boltz racks do make it easy to pick up a large amount of CDs and move them.

I move a lot, five times in the past seven years, so I've given up even taking my CDs out of their moving boxes. I just leave the boxes open with the CDs spine-up. They are alphabetized only to the first letter, so the letter T bands are in random order within the T section. I like that because it increases my chances of happening to spot a disc I haven't listened to in a while and think "Oh, I should revisit this one!", while still being reasonably easy to find a specific band if I'm in the mood for it.

Going back to the original question, do you mean just new releases or everything bought in a year? If it's the former I am in the lowest category, but if it's the latter I am in the highest. For example, so far this year I've only bought 8 2014 releases (which is actually a lot compared to other recent years) but if I haven't already bought 100 albums total this year I soon will.

OK, thanks. I was expecting the average to be higher. Still well above the national average, and I don't think it's the end of the music industry as we know it, but I was expecting the people on this forum to buy more.

OK, thanks. I was expecting the average to be higher. Still well above the national average, and I don't think it's the end of the music industry as we know it, but I was expecting the people on this forum to buy more.

For my part I just went with the poll criteria, so 100+ even though I'll buy at least twice that.

It's certainly made me give up. :loco:

In all seriousness, as debates often do, this one has lost its focus. Ultimately, my point is simply this; I want the option of digital lossless file. The record industry (yes, I'm including Apple, Amazon and Google) should allow me to purchase the recording, as the artist untended, in a purely digital format.

It's getting there slowly. With HDTracks, Pono and sony pushing "HRA" it'll get there. Thing is, most stuff that's out there now is pop, classic rock, jazz and classical music. Not much in the way of our kind of music.

Now Nightmare Records has a copy of the new Anubis gate as a 24/44.1 download (although it's through HDTracks here). I'd like to see more stuff released like that or in 24/96 directly from the labels or bands. I'd give up CDs if I could get those kinds of files for all new releases I'm interested in in a given year.