Iced Earth - Power Metal?

maestro_al

Who Dares Wins
Mar 26, 2002
I'd love to hear your thoughts and opinions on Iced Earth.

Within the realm of prog/power metal, there are some bands that have really made the grade and for good reason. Blind Guardian, Gamma Ray, Edguy are some of my favorites. Here's why:

Blind Guardian - very diverse, melodic, fantasy-influenced, and above all, the music just gets more infectious with each listen. Hansi Kursh is a phenomenal vocalist, and his vocals alone on the Edguy track 'Out of Control' turned a good song into a classic.

Gamma Ray - fast, powerful, melodic, great vocal lines by Kai Hansen. In addition, Henjo Richter is very obviously influenced by historic giants such as Ritchie Blackmore. In fact, some songs like The Winged Horse could very well be a Rainbow cover!

Edguy - melodic, very approachable compositions that scream power, and fill the gap that Maiden fans have been missing since Somewhere in Time. Needless to say, Tobias Sammet is a genius, and Avantasia has to be one of the greatest metal albums of all time.

Here's my problem....:confused:

Iced Earth - I DON'T GET IT! :eek: I have tried to give them so many listens over the years - I have Horror Show and Something Wicked, and both are ok - nothing really blows me away. Sometimes they lack melody, the singing is a little rough, and the music can be really difficult to approach. Without doubt they are masterful musicians, and the stuccato riffing is second-to-none, but I don't get how people see the Iron Maiden influence compared to, say, Edguy. Are Iced Earth really power metal or would they be classified as Speed Metal? Are they really melodic? They remind me more of early Megadeth or Testament, moreso than Maiden.

Where am I going wrong? :eek: I love early Megadeth and Testament (Alex Skolnick is one of my fave guitarists), and yet I still don't see the fuss about Iced Earth. Someone help! Also, listening recommendations for IE tracks are more than welcome (and reasons why those tracks are recommended).

I actually didn't like the 2 albums you mentioned. I started listening to them with Night of the Stormrider and The Dark Saga is another favorite. You could probably pick up Days of Purgatory which has rerecordings of their earlier material. Just out of curiousity do you have Demons and Wizards?

LISTEN TO THE FIRST TWO ICED EARTH RECORDS, THOSE DID IT FOR ME. BUT REALL, YOU'RE GETTING ALL WRAPPED UP IN THE CATORIZATION OF A BAND WHEN THE CATORIZATION IS NOT SOMETHING YOU SHOULD TO JUDGE A BAND. I'VE BEEN A METAL DJ FOR 10 YEARS AND THAT KIND OF ATTITUDE WILL MAKE YOU MISS OUT ON A LOT OF STUFF OK, SO THEY DONT SOUND 'POWER METAL' TO YOU. SO WHAT, YOU EITHER LISTEN TO THEM AND FIND SOMETHING THAT INTERESTS YOU, THEN YOU'LL DIG IT. IF YOU DON'T, FORGET THEM. I DON'T CONSIDER THE ALBUMS YOU LISTED TO BE THAT MONUMENTAL. THEY ARE GREAT BUT NOT TO CUT YOUR TEETH ON ICED EARTH. GO BACK TO THE ORIGINAL ICED EARTH RECORD CALLED 'ICED EARTH' THEN LISTEN TO 'DAYS OF PURGATORY WHEN THE 'NEW' SINGER RE-RECORDS ALL THAT OLD STUFF. YOU'LL LOVE IT

I love Iced Earth......But I also love all the other bands you mentioned. I respect your opinion , but I would like to refute some things that you said. You say that the Iced Earth vocals are sometimes "a little rough", I may be misinterpreting you, but aren't Blind Guardian's vocals sometimes just as "rough" or even more so. I really enjoy Hansi's voice, but you have to admit that it is a scratchy wale sometimes, even though I love that wail. And for the idea that they lack melody....I would like some examples, since I believe that the true, complete connotation for power metal is "melodic power metal", a connotation that I believe Iced Earth lives up to completely...all the time. Also, an arguement that can go against all the other great bands you metioned, their lyric and song writing hinges sometimes on the corny and preposterous. Iced Earth is darker and more serious, and this is reflected in their music. Don't get me wrong, BG is unbelievable, Gamma Ray is a Legend, and Edguy already have a legacy of their own, but Edguy has a song called "All the clowns" in which Tobias Sammet sings in a soaring operatic voice,(A voice that he uses in every song) gamma ray always sings about space fantasies, and Blind Guardian sings about the "maiden and ministrel knight".(By the way, I think Blind Guardian has the least corny lyrics of all of them) To quote a review I read recently, I hate to admit it, but fantasy stories like those that these bands sing about have hindered adolscent males from getting laid for the last 20 years. aka. dungeons and dragons stuff. not to say that I don't like the lyrics, Blind Guardian's new album is a masterpiece, but the hard truth is that Blind Guardian, Ramma Gay (What Tobias calls them), and Edguy all have their moments where instead of banging my head, I stop, look at my cd player, and snicker. In comparison, Iced Earth's fantasy stuff is about an antichrist or Frankenstein(A creature made from sown together body parts<---added just for detail), hence, Iced Earth is darker, more gritty, heavier. What's the point I want made out of all of this blah, blah, blahing?.... that everything is personal opinion. To say that Iced Earth has no melody at some points, and that the singing is rough, or that they shouldn't be compared to Iron Maiden, I think are the opinions of a biased, or opioniated, mind. And there is nothing wrong with that. I just think you like lighter, less heavy power metal, while I really enjoy a healthy variety that includes the Arch Enemys, the Nevermores, and In Flames. Your oponion thus makes you biased when you listen to Iced Earth. Thats all I got to say.......P.S. For the record I'd like to say that BG and Edguy are in my top 5 all time favorite bands,(I like them more than Arch Enemy...etc) I just felt like defending IE.

I've got to agree with DaveThe Metal Guy on this. Good Metal musicians are good, but should strive to be better. The better Metal musicians should strive to excellency. The excellent should strive to maintain excellence. All metal is good. Some Metal is better. Excellent Metal is heaven. There are many types of band and categories out there. The important thing is to find what YOU like, then support that group or style. However, please don't be closed minded. I don't favor death metal because of the vocals, but sometimes the musicianship is excellent. Not all power metal or prog. metal bands have good vocals or musicianship. It really depends on the band and most importantly YOU. Each person is an individual and has been taught different things due to various influences. You can influence anyone and they can you, if you are open minded. It's true, You will find music you dislike. We can't all like every "metal" or "rock" band. By the way - I will now say, after giving it a chance, rap metal sucks!!!! Anything with a dj or mc sucks!!!!! Thank you!!!!

Thanks for the positive responses. For sure it sounds like I have to listen to some of the earlier Iced Earth efforts. I never intended to offend anyone - I just wanted to know what the fuss was all about with IE - especially since I love 99% of heavy metal and remember my life changing when seeing Metallica support Ozzy in '86. I don't want anyone to think that I only listen to Power Metal - the initial question actually debates whether IE falls within a Prog/Power type category. It's a harmless, yet valid, query. In the same vein, you would never classify Napalm Death as "progressive" - categorization does play to some effect for the fans - it allows fans of different metal genres to make careful selections when parting with hard earned cash. As an example, imagine if Cannibal Corpse were listed as "symphonic epic metal" - Rhapsody fans would feel duped into buying it!!

Having only listened to two of IE's CDs (which may not be their best from the sounds of it) I need to expand the horizon. I guess I was just looking at better recommendations and it seems like I'll get their first effort, "Iced Earth".

By the way, the reason why I bought Something Wicked This Way Comes was because of the AMAZING reviews it gets from die hard IE fans. Indeed, Jon Schaffer himself regards that album as his "Dark Side of the Moon". Pretty strong words don't you reckon?

To Strigoi: I don't have Demons and Wizards because it got such mixed reviews. Some people loved it, and some people absolutley despised it saying it was worse than anything IE or BG had done.

That was enough to put me off. To add, buying CDs in the USA is a mess - until recently I was buying from CDnow or Amazon and paying $30 a pop for Edguy etc just because you're forced to buy imports. With such mixed reviews, I felt overcautious in going for Demons and Wizards.

Recently I was informed of theendrecords - I'll see if they have it for less than an import price (and a 3 week delivery time).

I have to highly reccomend Demons and Wizards, cdnow.com probably has it for less then 15 bucks, if you like BG...get it! Hansi wrote alot of catchy, and very dark, vocal lines....the first song Heaven Denied will blow you away.

Iced Earth rules!!!!
Have you ever seen them live? They kick ass!! Matthew Barlow is one of the best singers in the metal world (together with Hansi Kuersch of course) and the music is killer. Their best album is by far Something Wicked this Way Comes, and their live album ALive in AThens is one of the best lives albums I have ever heard. They might not be as detailed and melodic as Blind Guardian or Angra, but they still are filled with melodies, especially in the vocals. They have some of the cachiest choruses you can find. I will see them live (for the second time) in a week and a half. They will play with In Flames and Jag Panzer. SHould be a great show, although the venue is not very good.

I figured I'd throw my comment/spam on here real quick :)

Throw me in the "huge Iced Earth" fan category. The riffs, the soulful, emotional singing, the song writing.....to me it's all there. I find it amusing the amount of positive/negative comments this band gets. To me, 'Horror Show' was my album of the year last year as well as my favorite Iced Earth album, followed by 'Burnt Offerings'. I also love 'Something Wicked' of course, and 'Dark Saga'. The only albums I DON'T really get into is their first couple without Barlow on vocals. Go figure! lol!

Strangely enough I would have to think Iced Earth are one of the more successful Metal bands today, whether people like them or not. I can't wait to see what the future holds for them, including the 'Something Wicked' concept album!

Now for my little spam, I am launching my own CD store here in the next few days. I hope some of you all give me a try! Thanks! (will be accessible from MetalAges.com....you'll know when I launch :) )

Originally posted by MetalAges
Throw me in the "huge Iced Earth" fan category. The riffs, the soulful, emotional singing, the song writing.....to me it's all there.

Agreed. To me, Iced Earth is one of the bands (ONE of...) that has a handle on just about everything that's great about metal. It's intelligent, tight, well-composed, and simply kicks ass. And if Alive in Athens is any true representation of their abilities live...damn. I gotta see these guys play.

Demons and Wizards is excellent. I heard it only slightly after I'd heard Blind Guardian for the first time. As with Blind Guardian, it took me a while to get used to Hansi's vocals. After a few listens, though, I was hooked on both D&W and BG.

I've noticed a lot of, not exactly controversy, but minor turmoil over Iced Earth, and I've never understood why.

Iced Earth is my second favorite band (after Nevermore). I would definitely classify them as Power Metal, but I don't much care for categorizing bands.

I would have to say that their last three CDs are their best three CDs. I would also have to say, that with the exception of Geoff Tate (who in his prime, no one could touch) Matthew Barlow is the finest Metal singer ever.

By the way, on another board that I post to, someone posted a thread entitled "Blind spots". The thread essentially asked, which bands don't you like, that you probably should like, based on the style of music that they perform and based on the fact that so many people who share your musical tastes enjoy. To that end, I would simply say that IE is one of your "blind spots" and that you shouldn't lose sleep over it.

GZ

I dont think if it is relevant to the disscusuion, but in the last Iced Earth show here (Athens, Greece) the average age of the crowd was 16 ..they cannot be taken seriously by a metalhead who is 30 years old for example..I think their best album is "Burnt Offerings" and that they copy themselves in their two last albums..

Originally posted by General Zod
Iced Earth is my second favorite band (after Nevermore). I would definitely classify them as Power Metal, but I don't much care for categorizing bands.

I would have to say that their last three CDs are their best three CDs. I would also have to say, that with the exception of Geoff Tate (who in his prime, no one could touch) Matthew Barlow is the finest Metal singer ever.

By the way, on another board that I post to, someone posted a thread entitled "Blind spots". The thread essentially asked, which bands don't you like, that you probably should like, based on the style of music that they perform and based on the fact that so many people who share your musical tastes enjoy. To that end, I would simply say that IE is one of your "blind spots" and that you shouldn't lose sleep over it.

GZ

I Must say GZ.........
I like your taste in Music. Nevermore is just amazing, and only seem to be getting better with each new release.:headbang: :headbang:

OK guys, since I posted this thread I feel obliged to update you on my quest for Iced Earth!!

I just got tickets for their NYC show on April 10th - I figure that seeing them live will be an awesome event. To be honest, most live events will always add a new twist. Since I haven't fully "understood" their studio efforts, I figure a live gig is always worthwhile! I'm going with my wife - it's cool being married to someone who loves metal too! :)

I have to be honest, I love Jag Panzer (Mechanized Warfare) and am really excited to see them. I've not heard any In Flames though? Any opinions on In Flames? :)

P.S. Have you noticed that even within this thread, there are Iced Earth fans that are split between the old and new stuff? I guess the live gig will mix it all in together anyway! Still, it would be interesting to see a poll taken on favorite Iced Earth album...

In Flames is melodic death metal. Actually, the only reason some call it death metal is because of the vocals (Children of Bodom style), but their music is one of the most melodics in the metal world. Great band!!! You should definitely check out albums such as "Whoracle", "Colony" or "Clayman". They also have a live album called "Tokyo Showdown".
I will go to the same concert in Indianapolis in one week! Can't wait!

In Flames is amazing. Melodic-death-metal pretty much sums them up. Very raspy vocals over regular metal music. There's no songs that are just "blast-beat" death metal. Vocals aren't gutteral, low-growling either... he's got a middle-ground kinda voice.

I have 3 of their albums and am still hunting for the Jester's Race (? I think that's the title) album.

Colony is what got me into them. Then I picked up Woracle and Clayman when that came out.

If you like them, and like Children of Bodom.. check out Witchery as well.

Now another comment on Iced Earth. I think in a lot of small ways they're like Iron Maiden, although alot faster. If you're listening to Iced Earth.. then pop in any Maiden album and you'll know what I'm talking about. Just remember I said "in a lot of small ways".. and not meaning that Horrorshow sounds like Powerslave or something. :)

Originally posted by maestro_al
I just got tickets for their NYC show on April 10th - I figure that seeing them live will be an awesome event. To be honest, most live events will always add a new twist. Since I haven't fully "understood" their studio efforts, I figure a live gig is always worthwhile!

I'm with you. I have all of the Iced Earth albums, and while I enjoy listening to Dark Saga, Something Wicked and some of the song from Horror Show from time to time, I don't feel it's that great. It just doesn't grab me. It could be just me, but I suspect Horror Show is the most overrated album of last year (with apologies to the webmaster). Could be I just don't "get it", but to me it's ok music, not great music.

The riffage is amazing, though...how any human can play some of those songs is beyond me. The singing is great at times, but not always..and the lyrics are a big turnoff for me. Not all the time, but often they sound to elementary.

But I continue to try to "get it". I'll also be at the NYC show and I hope to gain something new from seeing them live.

- Chris