Iced Earth - Power Metal?

Originally posted by IOfTheStorm
I dont think if it is relevant to the disscusuion, but in the last Iced Earth show here (Athens, Greece) the average age of the crowd was 16 ..

I would agree, it doesn't seem relevant. What difference does it make what age the concert-goers were in Greece?

they cannot be taken seriously by a metalhead who is 30 years old for example..

Two questions:

1 - Why can't they be taken seriously?
2 - Who should 30+ year old "metalheads" take seriously?

I think their best album is "Burnt Offerings" and that they copy themselves in their two last albums..

Does that mean that "Horrow Show" was a copy of SWTWC, or that both SWTWC and "Horrow Show" were copies of "Dark Saga"? Since you are speaking as someone who doesn't take them seriously, I would have to wonder how much time you have spent listening to them. If you haven't spent much time listening to them, I would have to say that perhaps you're not the best person to judge whether or not they have become redundant. If you have listened to them a good deal, I would have to wonder why you spend so much time listening to bands that you don't take seriously?

GZ

Originally posted by General Zod

2 - Who should 30+ year old "metalheads" take seriously?

GZ

If you're 30 or above, you should listen to bands like AC/DC, Meatloaf, and maybe Saxon. Basically, the rule of thumb is that you should listen to a band where the band members are roughly your own age. That way you don't look like the odd one out in a concert. I mean, at Iced Earth, if you were a 35 years old, you would look like someones dad waiting to drive their son/daughter back home.

Put it this way - if they don't ask you for ID on the way in, then turn around and go home.

...for the greeks with no sense of humor, this message is a joke.....

Well, I guess I'll find out if you're right on Wednesday, as I am going to see them in NYC. So far, I haven't found that to be the case at any Metal show I have attended in the states. regardless, I have no desire to see either Saxon or AC/DC.

By the way, I'm pretty sure all the guys in IE are over 33, so I should be safe.

GZ

Originally posted by LucioArgento

...for the greeks with no sense of humor, this message is a joke.....

I know the font was small, but you know I was kidding right? You NEVER have to justify going to a concert no matter what your age. Hope you have a great night.

Originally posted by General Zod

By the way, I'm pretty sure all the guysin IE are over 33, so I should be safe.

GZ

Don't worry about it GZ - I don't care what age the crowd is. I myself am 31, and it's not like we're going to see Kid Cock or Limp Shitstick.

I've never seen Iced Earth - or any of the bands on the line up. I hear IE are really good live. Personally, I can't wait for Jag Panzer either - I thought Mechanized Warfare was phenomenal.

See you there! (You'll be the one with x-ray vision and superman strength right?).

Cheers.

Originally posted by maestro_al
See you there! (You'll be the one with x-ray vision and superman strength right?).Cheers.

Now that's funny.

By the way, I saw In Flames last November when Nevermore opened for them at CBGBs, and In Flames kicked ass. I mean, they weren't as good as Nevermore, but then again, no one is.

GZ

ZOD :"I would have to wonder why you spend so much time listening to bands that you don't take seriously?"
I lost my interest for Iced Earth when i saw them live for the first time (out of 4)when i was 15 years old in 1997...until then they were one of my fav bands...of course as time passed i learned more bands and liked them most..and thats the main reason why a 30 year old metalhead is not interested in I.E., because there are hundrends better heavy metal bands that deserve attention, mainly underground US bands....and u live in u.s.a., things are different there for heavy metal...really different from Europe..so i dont expect u will totaly understand what i mean..30 year olds can take seriously whoever they want..but a 30 year old guy must know few things bout u.s. heavy metal if he thinks that Iced Earth are superbe or something..and i mean that horrow show and swtwc are both boring, uninspired albums..swtwc is a poor copy of dark saga of course..melancholy (almost) the same as i died for u , disciples of the lie as violate, etc...and for sure u dont have to justify going to a concert ..i just said that thing about 30 year olds and 16 year olds..to see how things are beyond u.s.a. ..

Well, I guess we'll have to agree to disagree.

I am 33, live in the U.S. and I'm as familair with the underground Metal scene as anyone. That being said, I am a huge Iced Earth fan. The main reason for my love of Iced Earth is Matthew Barlow. I think he is quite simply the best Metal singer this side of Geoff Tate. Additionally, I don't think that IE repeat themselves more than any other band. Any band, whose sound is recognizable, is going to have songs that their detractors can suggest sound alike.

By the way, I believe that this parallel you've created between folks in their 30s and Iced Earth is way off base. First of all, I'm not sure how you can speak for folks in their 30s, since you're in your early 20s (not that you're not entitled to your opinion). Second, many of the boards that I read/post to, are filled with folks in their late 20s and early 30s, and many of those same people love Iced Earth. Finally, I think age and music are mostly irrelevant. I think Iced Earth, in particular, appeals to people who grew up in the U.S. in the 80s because that is where they draw their influences from. That being the case, it makes sense that they would have an older U.S. following.

Just curious, what are some of your favorite bands?

GZ

IOfTheStorm: I'm curious as to see who you think which bands exist in the "US underground"? I don't mean to be argumentative, but I really am curious. You see, some of my favorite power/prog bands come from Europe - Sonata Arctica, Edguy, Gamma Ray, Blind Guardian, Stratovarius etc. Even if I think back 10-15 years, the heavy metal bands I liked the most always had European origins: Sabbath, Malmsteen, Priest, Iron Maiden etc.

I can barely even mention any band from the US that I love: Iced Earth and Jag Panzer are both ok, but they're certainly not my favorites. And before, I would give my dues to Metallica, Megadeth (RIP), Slayer, and Testament. I even loved Suicidal Tendencies. However, the way I see things now, the metal industry (underground or not) in the USA is just dire.

Now if you're talking about grindcore and all the extreme types of music, then I have no idea what you're going on about since I don't listen to that stuff. Again though, I would be curious to see what US bands you think are great - might give me inspiration to explore and hear a few samples....!

In fact, I'm going to start a new thread about this!

ZOD:
Some of my fav bands are Queensryche, Psychotic Waltz, Fates Warning, Candlemass, Manowar, Manilla Road, Rush, Solitude Aeturnus, Nevermore, Black Sabbath,Helstar, Jag Panzer, Virgin Steele and generaly i like everything except grind/death/black but especially heavy epic , power metal and progressive..i can speak for 30 year olds cause i hang out with some 30 year olds..age and music are not irrelevant at all....about all the other stuff u live in the usa and u see the situation there only..
MAESTRO AL :"I'm curious as to see who you think which bands exist in the "US underground"? "
Twisted Tower Dire, Skullview, Cauldron Born are just some ...generally usa was always for me the best country for heavy metal almost all my fav bands is from usa , us power metal bands are my fav power metal bands, us progressive bands, my fav progressive bands etc...u say u dont know any usa underground band..well last year a "true metal" festival was held there and only 200 people were there...(5 Greeks and more , among them) and thats because only bands that are promoted by magazines and are in big companies draw all the attention...

Well, as I said, I guess you and I will have to agree to disagree on some things. Although, we do like some of the same bands.

Just out of curiosity, is Manowar a band that 30somethings can take seriously?

GZ

Since you spoke openly about Iced Earth, let me speak honestly about Manowar. However, please keep in mind that I am not trying to offend you, or any fan of Manowar. I am simply expressing my opinion within the context of the debate that we have been having.

First, let me say this about Manowar; I respect them for sticking to their guns, and not compromising their vision. I grew up on Manowar. "Hail to England" is a classic. However, Manowar has practically become a parody of a Heavy Metal band. Their lyrics, couldn't be sillier. I could give you at least 10 examples of lyrics that they have penned that have made me laugh out loud. Their guitar player, couldn't be worse. Their drumming is quite average. Joey, who is under the misguided impression that speed is everything (and he's not even that fast), is really a failed guitar player. The only one in that band who has a shred of musical talent is Eric Adams. He is one of the all-time great Metal singers. I would have loved to have seen him in a band, where his supporting cast was as talented as he is.

In my opinion, it is Manowar who 30somethings should have long ago outgrown.

GZ

Manowar is a heavy metal monument...who am i to judge them....u say that they have become a parody of a heavy metal band, why?They still play good heavy metal, of course not like their 80s masterpieces..and Manowar is the ONLY great 80s band with millions of records sold..still saying "we play heavy metal" when ALL 80s metal bands refuse to say it and prefer other things..because they consider that this is a kind of a shame for them..u say their drumming is quite average...excuse me , Manowar never went to Berkley...their guitar player couldnt be worse, worse on what?...the feeling is always there and that matters....and believe me ..30 year olds are still proud of their Manowar tatoos...

OK, I've been sitting idly by watching some people bash the 30+ crowd and how we should be seeing bands our age and I have one question. WHEN THE FUCK IS LIBERACE TOURING AGAIN SO I CAN SEE HIM...oh wait he's dead. SHIT!

I've seen several references about the Classic Metal Fest in Kalamazoo which is in my backyard and how they only drew 200 fans. I'd like to say several things and this isn't a rip on that show, but it was the first time this had ever been put on and the promoter, bless his heart for putting together an incredible line-up, did a really poor job of promoting it, IE HE DIDN"T. There were metal fans here in Lansing and all over the state who had no clue that show was even being put on. Given the line up that festival should have drawn well over 1000 people and I truly think that if they would have had the experience or support that the PROGPOWER Festival has it would have been a huge success. The festivals are only going to be as successful as the people behind it. Ask Glenn, I'm sure he'll agree 110%.

I don't think that Classic metal Festival should be used as a barometer for the fans in the USA, the popularity of Metal in the USA or the bands in the USA.

As for the Iced Earth debate, I'm honestly not totally familiar with them so I will refrain from commenting other than I will say I think that Matt Barlow does have a great voice and he sounds so good on the new release.

John
Underground Zine Scene

PS. I'm really not THAT old but I am in the 30+ group:D

Oh come on, people in Greece found about it and went there...and people there didnt know a thing ??The situation was so bad that in the third day (i think) money were gathered from the audience in order to be held properly

I will have to agree with everything that General Zod has said.
I am from Germany, live in Costa Rica, but study in US, so I am from everywhere basically (I have lived in seven countries), and I know a lot about metal.
Iced Earth fucking rules!!! Matthew Barlow is one of the best singers in the world (together with Hansi) and the music is by no means boring. It is not the most complicated stuff (I can play all their songs on guitar), but the music is heavy, melodic, and the voice of Barlow makes it all sound even better. I must admit, Horror Show is not my favorite IE album, although I still think it is very good (my favorite is Something Wicked). I will see them live this coming Monday, April 8th in Indianapolis. It will be my second time (saw them opening for Megadeth in Lafayette. Barlow is unbelievable live). I am also looking forward to see Jag Panzer and In Flames. They all rule!
I know that there are millions of people that love Manowar, and that they have sold more album than most metal bands in history, but I still can not figure out why people actually listen to them. I guess it is just a matter of taste, and I respect that. They are one of those bands that you either love or hate. I hate them and I would never buy one of their albums.