Is it possible for instrumental music to blow your mind, or does it just blow ass.

Nate The Great

What would Nathan do?
May 10, 2002
www.ultimatemetal.com
I just bought Pelican 'Australasia', and let me tell you IT IS DAMN GOOD. It is probably the best instrumental album I own, and I've only had for a few hours. Another great instrumental album from this year is Dysrythmia. However, Pelican is totally awesome. It's not "insane" or "sick" or "grim" (and that's what I normally like). It's just plan kick ass. Imagine Kyuss, Isis, and 5ive all playing instrumental rock/metal together.

What instrumental bands/albums does everybody else hail?

I'm not big on instrumentals. Waaaaaaaaaay back in the day (probably junior high) I owned some Satriani and thought it was pretty good.

Nowadays, the only instrumental band I have is 5ive, and I enjoy their stuff.

You might really like Pelican HarmonyDies . . . .

And Dreamlord you will really like Pelican. I normally don't like instrumental stuff, but Isis is mostly instrumental, Kyuss had a lot of instrumental stuff, and 5ive is completely instrumental. Imagine the best parts of those bands in one band. Pelican rules.

Vocals are generally the most useless musician in any given band (other than a boring bassist that is), so yes, instrumentals can most certainly blow my mind.

Conversely, vocals are also generally the most soulful and human element to a band, so it's a bit of a double edge sword.

There are a lot of groups I listen to with minimal to zero vocals, mostly fusion, jazz, electronic, and progressive stuff.

"Singers come from Planet Singer."
--Robert Fripp

5ive are a terrible old boy band. What the hell are you lot banging on about? :erk:

The only instrumental album I have is Focus 3, which I ain't listened to for fucking ages but remember being cool :) hope the verse of Latin and yodelling don't void the instrumental part though :D

Ayeka said:
5ive are a terrible old boy band. What the hell are you lot banging on about? :erk:
:loco:

5ive is also the name of an instrumental psychedelic noisecore band in the USA. They only have guitar and drums, but the guitar is tuned way down and he pans back and forth on the low notes constantly. So the bass is actually quite heavy throughout.

If instrumental songs count there certainly are lots of great ones, I don't think I own any instrumental albums but vocals are just one part of the music, often important but not essential.

Other than PJ, has anyone else heard "Far Beyond the Sun" and "Icarus Dream Suite Opus 14" by Yngwie Malmsteen? They're from his debut, and really really quite astonishing, even by today's standards. 'Tis what put him on the map I guess.

I was just listening to them so I thought I'd bump the thread. :D

Dug out my Malmsteen tape...yeah, it's that album, but I don't remember those songs as I found the entire album rather tedious...

Late bloomer here, but Australasia is just beautiful. I've been playing it nonstop. Those guys can jam. Highly recommended from me.