Is it possible for instrumental music to blow your mind, or does it just blow ass.

fotmbm said:
If instrumental songs count there certainly are lots of great ones, I don't think I own any instrumental albums but vocals are just one part of the music, often important but not essential.

Very agreed. Vocals can often actually decrease a song's quality and take away from the actual music - i.e. hymn of the wood

used to completely worship early Satriani ... his stuff was amazing. He just gave you the song title and drifting away into the music you could almost make up your own words.

I love instrumental stuff, but of course the vocals have to be replaced with an instrument. preferably guitar. Because if you just took an album that was ment to have vocals and didn't put em in that would blow donkey dick...but of course that wouldn't happen i hope, and its generally understood thats not what Instrumental music is...so...yea...

One thing ide like to bring up is how much more dream theater would rock if James LaGay packed his shit and left.

Dude, you're not kidding. Dream Theater's instrumental stuff is beyond fantastic. I don't think they realize how awesome they would be if they lost that shitty, shitty vocalist.

I like Liquid Tension Experiment and Pelica, and Isis is ok. I've been meaning to listen to Dysrhythmia for quite awhile since the name sounded interesting.

And there's quite a bunch of ambient shit that I like.

I've wanted to check out Dysrhythmia as well, but based on some reviews, it seems they don't jam out like Pelican and 5ive, instead opt for a proggy approach and we all know prog=poop

Dysrythmia is that crazy bassist from Arctopus' other band, right? Haven't heard them yet, but want to.

Oh, and pertaining to this thread, many, many, MANY classical pieces blow my mind right across the fucking wall and are usually fully instrumental.

Vocals can be very overrated at times.

Oh another thing cuz as i scanned through i saw the word "Jam" pop up a few times. Probobly not in the context im thinking but it reminds me...

i fucking HATE when bands "jam" live for like 20 minutes with random gay nonsense. When i told somone i hate Jame bands there reaction was "What, so you want somone to play the same shit as on the album when you go to see them live with no variety?" no...i want to go see somone live, have them play the songs on the album LIVE and add LITTLE things that make it good/add to the live experience, and MAYBE a little jam/interlude/watever. I don't want to see a band and be pumped for some songs and not hear them or have them raped to the point where it doesn't matter anymore..yargh...