King Diamond

edgeofthorns

24 Hours Ago...
Jan 2, 2005
City beneath the surface
Okay KD experts, I need some guidance. I've never given this band a fair shot, so I need some info.

1. Where's the best place to start if you're new to his material?
2. Rank the KD albums from best to worst and tell me why you think this.

By the way, I'm not interested in his Merciful Fate years.

Thanks,
~Brian~

Abigal is one of my top 5 of all time.

I would rank Melissa, Abigal, Them and Conspiracy the highest, all excellent. Then Puppet Master and House of God. The Graveyard had it's good moments and so did Abigal II, though like Mindcrime II, no where near the original. Vodoo, Spider's Lullabye, and the rest are all good, but not up to the King's awesome standards.

I agree...ABIGAIL is one of my top 10 metal albums of all time... a masterpiece and one of KD best produced albums. CONSPIRACY is awesome as well and sounds great. THEM would have been good but the drums sound horible... I don't know what went wrong there between two of his best productions... HOUSE OF GOD, while not being one of their better musical outputs has a story that still sends shivers up my spine every time I read it!

King Diamond is totally gay .. just kidding .. they're great!! KD is probably my favorite band. I've had other bands I liked better (Queensryche, Megadeth, Metallica, Iron Maiden, and one of two others), but one by one those bands let me down in one way or another and KD rose to the top of the heap.

To answer question #1 I'd say .. get The Puppet Master. It's his latest, and it was very well received overall. The long time fans liked it a lot, and it brought in some new fans as well. He doesn't go way over the top with the falsetto stuff on that release, and the songs are pretty well written.

For Question #2 I'd rank them this way.

#1 Abigail - has stood the test of time .. great concept, and the playing is very good all the way around. This is probably considered KD's best by the majority of long time fans.

#2 Them - This was my 1st KD disc. Nice creepy story .. great guitar work. I loved the combination of Andy LaRocque/Pete Blakk. Lots of classic KD track to be found.

#3 Conspiracy - It's basically Them Part II. It was my favorite at one point .. mainly because of the beginning two tracks (At The Graves & Sleepless Nights). At The Graves is my favorite KD tune, and Sleepless Nights is in my Top 5 or so. It tails off some after the great opening, but it's a strong disc. Great production, and King never sounded better.

#4 The Eye - They went more melodic on this one, and it alienated the fan base a bit. As time went on though I think most of the long timers came around to really liking this. I think it's a step down from the previous three, but not a lot. It's still a winner. It's a concept about The Inquisition. They used a drum machine on this one .. I never knew or noticed for years. I still can't tell.

#5 The Puppet Master - Like almost everything KD does it's a concept album. Most people who don't like KD do so because of King's very high falsetto. He uses it rarely in this disc, and I think some of those folks that were put off by the falsetto really liked this one. The songs are very catchy. I was so happy when this disc came out. The one before it (Abigail II) was a turd, and this one ranks pretty well with his best stuff.

#6 The Spider's Lullabye - Kind of an underrated disc. I think it's one of the better of KD's 2nd tier of releases. It's not up to the level of their best, but it's a strong disc overall. I'd recommend it. This is a partial concept album about poor Harry's fear of Spiders, and his subsequent encounters with Dr. Eastmann.

#7 Voodoo - This one got me back into KD after being away for a few years. Solid disc .. A concept about a family in Louisiana who takes over a mansion near a voodoo cemetary. One interesting note on this one .. the late Dimebag Darrell did some guitar work on the title track.

#8 House Of God - Most KD stuff doesn't really deal with religion, but is more horror story based. This one has a concept that is religion based, or anti religion based depending on how you want to look at it. It's a good disc .. not one the best, but not a weak disc by any means.

#9 The Fatal Portrait - A lot of the long timers rate this one pretty high, but I didn't own it until far after I got into KD, and really never did give it it's due. King's vocals are way high all the time, and the songs never seemed very catchy to me.

#10 The Graveyard - This has a few good moments, but all in all it's one of KD's weakest.

#11 Abigail II - Bands just should not try to catch lightning in a bottle twice. Sequels are okay when done back to back or something, but when they are done more than a decade apart it never seems to work.

Special note .. Deadly Lullabyes is a pretty good live album that came out two or three years ago. It's got all the hits on it, and is good if you like live stuff.

Also, KD has a new disc coming out in Late June called .. Gimme Your Soul .. Please. Poor name, but I'd be suprised if it was a total stinker. It sounds pretty dark judging from what King and Andy have had to say. We'll see .. it could go either way.

Britt

Thanks for your well thought out post Britt! I'll take your advice. I was hoping you'd pipe in about this. :kickass:

~Brian~
Brian, have you heard enough of King Diamond to know whether you can stomach the real high falsetto stuff? If that is not a turnoff to you then go for the top of my list. I still would say that the Puppet Master would be a good purchase .. it's his latest, and was real well received. It's not near as over the top as those earlier releases, and would appeal to the majority of people out there.

Good luck .. hopefully KD will be a hit for you.

Britt

Okay KD experts, I need some guidance. I've never given this band a fair shot, so I need some info.

1. Where's the best place to start if you're new to his material?
2. Rank the KD albums from best to worst and tell me why you think this.

Thanks,
~Brian~

Ok...what gives.......? I have tried to turn you on to the King before. You go of to Disney Land and come back wanting to listen to the King all of the sudden. Disney Land is still all about the large mouse right? Or did King Diamond slay Mickey and take over the Magic Kingdom? :loco:

You know my answer. If you only own 1 KD disc, it has got to be "THEM". :headbang:
If you must have 2 KD disc's.....well..........it's a toss between Abigail and conspiracy.

Ok...what gives.......? I have tried to turn you on to the King before. You go of to Disney Land and come back wanting to listen to the King all of the sudden. Disney Land is still all about the large mouse right? Or did King Diamond slay Mickey and take over the Magic Kingdom? :loco:

You know my answer. If you only own 1 KD disc, it has got to be "THEM". :headbang:
If you must have 2 KD disc's.....well..........it's a toss between Abigail and conspiracy.

:lol: Well, it was Disney World to be more accurate and I came real close to buying "Them" at the Virgin Music store down there. I guess you could say that Mickey has warmed me up to the idea of exploring some of his stuff. :saint:

~Brian~

Brian, have you heard enough of King Diamond to know whether you can stomach the real high falsetto stuff? If that is not a turnoff to you then go for the top of my list. I still would say that the Puppet Master would be a good purchase .. it's his latest, and was real well received. It's not near as over the top as those earlier releases, and would appeal to the majority of people out there.

Good luck .. hopefully KD will be a hit for you.

Britt

Yeah, his high pitch does get on my nerves a bit I have to admit. The stories and the music is what appeals to me about him though. I'll check out the latest one due to what you said about it. Also, it's interesting that he used a female a bit throughout.

~Brian~

Yeah, his high pitch does get on my nerves a bit I have to admit. The stories and the music is what appeals to me about him though. I'll check out the latest one due to what you said about it. Also, it's interesting that he used a female a bit throughout.

~Brian~
Yeah, that was a first. I think she will be used on this new one, but I'm not positive of that. In the past King would handle any vocals involving females characters, but I guess with the storyline of The Puppet Master he felt he needed to get a real female vocalist. I think that was a good decision. It was an interesting touch for KD, and it works for his music.

Britt

#1 Abigail - has stood the test of time .. great concept, and the playing is very good all the way around. This is probably considered KD's best by the majority of long time fans.

#2 Them - This was my 1st KD disc. Nice creepy story .. great guitar work. I loved the combination of Andy LaRocque/Pete Blakk. Lots of classic KD track to be found.

#3 Conspiracy - It's basically Them Part II. It was my favorite at one point .. mainly because of the beginning two tracks (At The Graves & Sleepless Nights). At The Graves is my favorite KD tune, and Sleepless Nights is in my Top 5 or so. It tails off some after the great opening, but it's a strong disc. Great production, and King never sounded better.

Britt

Great analysis overall...For me Abigail & Conspiracy are my favs. I agree 100% "At The Graves" & "Sleepless Nights" are definitely my 2 fav KD tracks, however the album Abigail is very solid. It really took me a while a get used to KD vox, but eventually it does make sense given the project as a whole. Pete Blakk & Andy Laroque are one of the most amazing duel guitar teams i can think of. Amazing guitar work especially on these two albums. Totally melodic, dark, shredding and beautiful all at the same time. Cannot go wrong with either of these albums. "Them" had its moments also but the production wasn't there like with with Conspiracy.

The Graveyard is my personal favorite, though it is at the bottom of everyone else's list. I ended up selling everything else off.

Thanks,
~Brian~[/QUOTE]

*****WHAT? WHY? Mercyful Fate "Melissa" and "Don't Break The Oath" are must haves for ANY metal fan.............You must be a youngan. But...my faves are:
1) Abigail
2) Them
3) Conspiracy
4) The Eye

*** ALSO, "Satan's Fall" is thee ultimate tune.From MF "Melissa"

Thanks,
~Brian~

*****WHAT? WHY? Mercyful Fate "Melissa" and "Don't Break The Oath" are must haves for ANY metal fan.............You must be a youngan. But...my faves are:
1) Abigail
2) Them
3) Conspiracy
4) The Eye

*** ALSO, "Satan's Fall" is thee ultimate tune.From MF "Melissa"[/quote]

I'm much more into King Diamond than Mercyful Fate, but the MF stuff is really good as well. I think my favorite MF is actually In The Shadows .. I love that disc. I think that is a disc when King keeps the vocals under control a bit .. the people that can't take the high pitch stuff might find that disc very enjoyable .. lots of good tunes.

Britt

I like King Diamond's music, lyrics, story ideas, etc...but I can't stand his voice. A lot of singers have a high range, but they can actually sing, not just make high-pitched squealy noises and groans.

I'm much more into King Diamond than Mercyful Fate, but the MF stuff is really good as well. I think my favorite MF is actually In The Shadows .. I love that disc. I think that is a disc when King keeps the vocals under control a bit .. the people that can't take the high pitch stuff might find that disc very enjoyable .. lots of good tunes.

Britt

I would love to hear the story behind that album from King, to me, it is a King Diamond album and not a Mercyful Fate album. That's the only MF album I own.

As far as KD albums, Britt had a good description so I will list mine in order or preference:

Them
Abigail
Conspiracy
The Eye
Spider's Lullaby
Abigail II
House of God
Voo Doo
The Graveyard
Fatal Portrait

SHAMEFULLY I still need to get Puppet Master and listen to it in depth. I'm excited to hear the new album as well as King and Andy have both stated how awesome it is compared to recent release, with King dare saying it tops any of his albums...we shall see!

Mercyful Fate/King Diamond was my favorite for many years in the 80s! Even saw MF on the Don't Break the Oath Tour in 1984! I also saw KD for the Fatal Portrait, Abigail, Them, and Conspiracy tours! At one point I knew how to play just about every song from Melissa and DBtO. I also knew just about every song from the first three solo albums! After Conspiracy, I kinda lost interest in KD because I didn't really like the direction he was going in. That's when Fate's Warning took over my #1 spot.

Britt did a nice job of describing them so I'll list my order of preference:
Abigail,
Them,
Conspiracy

And I agree with all the mentions that Sleepless Nights and At the Graves got! Totally kick ass tunes!

:lol: Well, it was Disney World to be more accurate and I came real close to buying "Them" at the Virgin Music store down there. I guess you could say that Mickey has warmed me up to the idea of exploring some of his stuff. :saint:

~Brian~

Hmmmm. Weird looking dude. High pitched squeaky voice. Lives in a real fantasy world.

Are we sure that Mickey Mouse ISN'T King Diamond?

Steve in Philly

Thanks,
~Brian~

1) Abigail
2) Them
3) Conspiracy
4) The Eye

*** ALSO, "Satan's Fall" is thee ultimate tune.From MF "Melissa"[/QUOTE]

Well, I've always been under the impression that the MF stuff leans more towards Black Metal, so that's mainly why. I like the majority of the themes of the KD stuff, with the exception of the House of God disc. In other words, I'm down with the horror, ghost, spooky stuff, just not the religious themes.

Well, it just depends on what you consider young. I just turned 31 in February. :) KD is just one of those bands that I never looked into for one reason or the other when I was a kid.

~Brian~