King Diamond

Brian - get Mercyful Fate's first 2.5 albums (The Beginning halfway counts as a rarities compilation with the great Nuns Have No Fun ep) if you're even the slightest bit of a metal fan. If you REALLLY need some jeebus in your diet (of worms?), then also pick up King Diamond's House of God album

There's a lot of satanic overtones on the MF catalog, but the music isn't a huge departure from the KD stuff. If you like the sound of the one, you would probably like the sound of the other, but the themes are a bit different. As mentioned In The Shadows really seems like a KD disc more than a MF disc .. I'd highly recommend that one.

Britt

You can get the Best of King Diamond / Mercyful fate cd, which includes most of the hits

You can get the Best of King Diamond / Mercyful fate cd, which includes most of the hits

Hmmmm. Weird looking dude. High pitched squeaky voice. Lives in a real fantasy world.

Are we sure that Mickey Mouse ISN'T King Diamond?

Steve in Philly

Maybe KD got a job at the Magic Kingdom after this job did not work out.

King-Diamond-Kindergarden-c.jpg

Abigail....One of the greatest metal albums ever..It will get you from your first listen and lock you in...Its amazing...Who said MF In the Shadows? Another great album, good call! I like Dead Again too and 9 by MF.....House of God too is a huge favorite of mine.....His only bad album to me is Puppet Master...Great story but music is weak IMO..Besides that, KD rocks

lunatic:headbang: :kickass:

My Favorites:

1) King Diamond - Abigail
2) Mercyful Fate - Melissa
3) Mercyful Fate - Don't Break The Oath
4) King Diamond - Conspiracy
5) King Diamond - Them (I just wish this had a better production)
6) Mercyful Fate - In The Shadows

The only King Diamond discs I don't like are The Graveyard, House Of God, and Abigail II.

start with Abigal and Them, see how you like those 2 cds first then proceed

By the way, I'm not interested in his Merciful Fate years.

Thanks,
~Brian~

*****WHAT? WHY? Mercyful Fate "Melissa" and "Don't Break The Oath" are must haves for ANY metal fan.............You must be a youngan. But...my faves are:
1) Abigail
QUOTE]

While I've never been a real fan KD, particularly because his voice grates on my nerves after awhile, nevertheless, I completely agree with Inner Peace here that MF Melissa and Dont Break the Oath are metal classics that get almost progressive at times. And of course Abigail is his all time best as King Diamond.

BTW, I don't know if anyone mentioned it on this post, but one of my all time favorite bands Pagan's Mind did a phenominal cover of At The Graves that was put on the remaster of Infinity Divine that kicks total ass! :headbang:

To answer question #1 I'd say .. get The Puppet Master. It's his latest, and it was very well received overall. The long time fans liked it a lot, and it brought in some new fans as well. He doesn't go way over the top with the falsetto stuff on that release, and the songs are pretty well written.
Britt

Britt, I listened to the Puppet Master several times through over the weekend and I agree that it's a great disc. :headbang: I think King should work with other vocalist from here on out, because it adds so much more to the rock opera feel. It's good stuff! Thanks for the recommendation! :kickass:

~Brian~

Puppet Master was ok, but there's so much far better stuff in his catalog. Abigail is one of the best albums ever written of all time, get it, consume it, digest it, and become it! Fatal Portrait and Them are right up there as well.

Britt, I listened to the Puppet Master several times through over the weekend and I agree that it's a great disc. :headbang: I think King should work with other vocalist from here on out, because it adds so much more to the rock opera feel. It's good stuff! Thanks for the recommendation! :kickass:

~Brian~
Cool ... glad you like it. If you want to go for a more wild over the top King vocaled effort make sure you check out Abigail, Them, or Conspiracy. There is some great stuff to be found there as well.

Britt

Cool ... glad you like it. If you want to go for a more wild over the top King vocaled effort make sure you check out Abigail, Them, or Conspiracy. There is some great stuff to be found there as well.

Britt

Yeah, I grabbed the 2 discs set of Them/Conspiracy and I'm diggin' those to no end as well. Conspiracy has to be one of the best metal albums of all time! :headbang:

~Brian~